Polynesian Standard Room With Infant

ZehnJahren

DIS Veteran
Hoping some of you seasoned travelers can help me! I've been to Disney dozens of times, but this trip is a first for me We're taking my 10 month old with us! Anyone have tips of how to set up a room with an infant who needs it to be dark to sleep? In other words, anyone have any room hacks for a baby at the Poly?

I'd especially love photos. We'll have our own pack and play, but I'm trying to figure out how to give her a little room of her own without using any items that will damage Disney walls or ceiling. I've seen hacks using duck tape, and I think that would end up being a fiasco

Hoping some of you seasoned travelers can help me! I've been to Disney dozens of times, but this trip is a first for me We're taking my 10 month old with us! Anyone have tips of how to set up a room with an infant who needs it to be dark to sleep? In other words, anyone have any room hacks for a baby at the Poly?

I'd especially love photos. We'll have our own pack and play, but I'm trying to figure out how to give her a little room of her own without using any items that will damage Disney walls or ceiling. I've seen hacks using duck tape, and I think that would end up being a fiasco

Hmmmm...a std Poly room doesn't leave you with a lot of space for a room within a room hack although you'll certainly have more sq ft than any other deluxe standard room. The bathrooms are a nice size but setting up a pack and play in there would probably impede other uses. You have an empty corner next to the kitchenette area that you might use to set up the pack and play and then move the luggage rack normally stored there next to the lounge chair (it's heavy-the lounge chair). It will block part of the terrace door but you'll still have ample room to get out there. I doubt if the space between the 2 Q beds is wide enough for the pack and play and there is no space under the beds in those rooms.

As far as light blocking, that's already built into the room's drapes but if you'd like more for when you've the lights on and LO is sleeping make a crib canopy from a dark tightly woven cotton sheet. Cotton is important so the A/Cd or heated air can flow through. I'd opt for a cotton sateen or percale sheet.The edges are already finished which is a boon. I'd lash and duct tape garden crooks or dollar store curtain rods to each corner of the pack and play and hang the sheet over it when needed. The closer you can set up the child's sleeping bed to a room wall the more fabric length you'll have for the open areas.

Not up to constructing the rod structure? Just throw a sheet over the pack and play which makes a lot of sense if your main concern is light blocking.

You'll find lots of room pics at Tikkiman's pages:

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/the-resort/planning/item/59-rooms-and-rates

and I would recommend getting a room on either the 1st or 3rd floors if you'll be staying in the original longhouses. The 2nd floors have neither a terrace or patio space thus no where to sit for the parents alone. I'd also prefer the 3rd floor simply because there would be no one overhead thus eliminating another noise producing area. Finally, a room at the end of a hall furthermost from the elevator could well be quieter than one in the middle of the floor. Once you look at the longhouses and floor layouts you can better choose which features will suit your needs best.

HTH

Last edited:
I hate to be a debbie downer, but we did our very, first family trip to WDW when DS was just 1 year old and we stayed at the Poly. There was no where to put the crib that was a separate area from the bed area. I would put DS down at about 7:30/8:00 pm and then DH and I just sat in the dark. It wasn't fun. The next time we went we stayed in a 1-bedroom villa. A little pricier, but well worth it for the extra, separate space.

The room really isn't configured to make a separate sleeping area for baby. My best advice is to keep the pack n play closest to the window as foot traffic from the hallway would likely wake a baby. You may be able to move the chair from the corner to create a bigger space for the pack n play. The blackout curtains should handle enough room darkening. Bring a noise machine to help drown out some sound. There are several travel size on amazon. Sharing a room with an infant on vacation can be really tricky and it's probably not going to be the best but you will still have fun. The baby has the luxury of making up for lost sleep napping in the stroller....you will need coffee :)

I will be doing this soon too. We had the unfortunate experience of having a trial run in the hospital b/c DS needed surgery. He is a good sleeper. Once he was in the crib we sat in the dark & just looked at our phones. We also use an iPad for white noise & downloaded a free app b/c it travels well. This is what we plan to do at Poly so hoping it all works the same.

I will be doing this soon too. We had the unfortunate experience of having a trial run in the hospital b/c DS needed surgery. He is a good sleeper. Once he was in the crib we sat in the dark & just looked at our phones. We also use an iPad for white noise & downloaded a free app b/c it travels well. This is what we plan to do at Poly so hoping it all works the same.
Just a heads up for anyone who is app adverse like me, there are a few white noise vids on youtube.com. My personal favorite is a 10-12 hour video of fan noises; does the trick every time on this end.
Also if you've never been to Poly before and your LO is very sensitive to sounds be careful choosing a standard room at Aotearoa and Fiji as both have rooms that you can hear the music and guests coming and going from Spirit of Aloha. There are a small choice of standard rooms in those buildings so study the floor plans assidiously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!