Polynesian Room vs Villa Studio

cdispoto

Earning My Ears
I have the opportunity to switch from a Polynesian Standard View room to a Deluxe Studio Villa (Standard View) for an extra $180 for a six-night stay.

Would the switch be worth it? I have never stayed in a Villa so I'm not sure what the benefit is.

Need to decide soon so any help would be fantastioc!

We made this switch for our upcoming vacation. The main reasons? There are two bathrooms. One can double as baby's 'bedroom,' so he can sleep while we enjoy calm evenings in the room and on the patio (guaranteed patio/balcony is reason 2. All studios have outside space, while some standard rooms don't).

For other parties, a studio might be a downgrade. Each studio has one bed and one sofa that folds down. I don't think I would consider sleeping on a fold out sofa 'deluxe' or an 'upgrade', personally.

There are two bathrooms in the studio? It's just three of us so a studio should be dine space-wise. Are there more kitchen amenities in the studi?

There are two bathrooms in the studio? It's just three of us so a studio should be dine space-wise. Are there more kitchen amenities in the studi?

Yep, 2 bathrooms! If you google the studio floorplans, you'll see what I mean.

The kitchenette is pretty minimal. Microwave, mini fridge, and sink.

Yes, 2 bathrooms are fabulous! We have stayed in a studio at the Poly four times now, love it!:goodvibes:banana:

The two bathrooms in the Poly Villa Studios have ONE TOILET. One room has a toilet, sink and tub/shower combo and the other has a sink and a shower, no toilet.
For not having a second toilet, the extra "bathroom" takes up lots of floor space, making the living area smaller than a standard hotel room.
The Kitchenette too takes up extra room for what you actually get. There is an small fridge, like the hotel rooms have and a small microwave, a toaster and a small sink area. It is supplied with a few paper plates and bowls, and plastic utensils.

the second shower while it takes up space is a huge rainfall shower and well worth the use of the space.... yes it is a luxury item and some prefer basic over luxury but that is why there are choices... I however do not see it being a good place to put a baby.. but there is a pull down bed under the TV --sounds strange-- but it works and any child would love to sleep there... you need to pull it down to understand why.. if you have 3 and one is a child it would be a great fit as you will have a queen bed, sofa, kitchenette, a great pull down bed for the child and a luxury shower as well as a regular bathroom. I have stayed there twice and I can tell you the rooms do not feel small in any way and are easily comparable to many other villas without the second bathroom... The regular Poly rooms do have a lot of space I have stayed in them before we owned DVC but to me it was always just a larger type bedroom which I see as no value other than a longer walk to the door with nothing there... but if you have 5 people the extra space will help but the lack of the second shower will hurt.

If it were less I would switch! We are also, typically, a party of 3 and my DS11 would far rather sleep on a real bed than a pull-out. For us, the microwave (which we don't use), the split bath and the full-size coffee maker don't make up for the lack of real beds in a studio.

I would take a regular resort room over a studio in a heartbeat. Even the regular bed in the studio was incredibly uncomfortable. And as far as the bathroom, I don't see that as an advantage since there's still only one toilet. I would stick with the regular room - the DVC studios just aren't comfortable.

We stayed in the studio in April and I thought the layout was pretty strange. There was also very little storage space. We were (and are!) a family of 4. There was under-bed storage and some small drawers in the 2nd (i.e. non-toilet) bathroom. But my main storage spot was the coffee table, which opens up on the top, sort of like a foot locker. So everytime I wanted to get dressed, we would have to move everyone's things off.

There was one bed, a queen. The other bed was the sofa pullout. At night, this really cramped up the space, as we would have to move the coffee table to the side to accommodate the pullout. This meant that every morning we would have to put the room back together.

The two bathrooms seemed like a nice feature at first, but like Hopefully said above, there was only one toilet. So at night, when getting ready for bed, you'd have to switch bathrooms if you wanted to brush teeth, go potty, etc. The first bathroom, with the rainshower stall was very nice; however, the floor of the rainshower stall was level with the door threshold, so we always had water spilling out onto the floor. The second bathroom with the toilet was pretty functional looking, so everyone wanted to brush their teeth in the first bathroom. The other weird thing was that the second bathroom (i.e. the one with the toilet) was massive, but there was a lot of open space. Finally, both of the bathrooms had lights and fans that were hooked up to motion sensors so when anyone got up to go the bathroom, they would automatically go on.

Personally I would have preferred if they either had one bathroom, or cut into the bigger bathroom a little bit and added more storage space.

Overall however, we loved staying there. It was incredibly convenient to be able to take either the monorail or the boat over to MK whenever we wanted. It was also easy to be able to walk to the TTC. The overall vibe was really nice and it had been a lifelong dream to stay there. It just wasn't without its quirks and annoyances. I would love to stay at the Poly again, but I don't think I'd choose the studio.

We're a party of four.

With the caveat that we haven't actually stayed in a Poly studio villa and I usually don't like to comment on things for which I have no personal experience, from what I have read/researched, the layout of the room just doesn't appeal to us. We do, however, love the resort side rooms.

I kind of agree with @DisneyWishes14, if a studio offered substantial savings I might be inclined to give it a go, but higher cost and less dedicated sleeping surfaces doesn't really get me all that excited for our particular style.

I reserve the right to change my opinion when my kids are teenagers and the two bathrooms become really appealing. :laughing:

We've never stayed at either prior to this past summer in the villas/studio. TBH weve stayed in plenty of studios b4 & this by far blows the others, in terms of space...True the 1st(main bathroom) has a bit of wasted space, but having 2 separate showers, & 2 sinks was a blessing....With the 4 of us sharing, me and my DS had the 1st sink, and shower, and my DW & DD had the other....With 1 commode, it was no different than any of the other studios that had 1 toilet, so this wasn't a bother.

The area where the bed/beds are, is also a ton bigger than other resorts. the distance between the end of the beds to the next wall was well wider.. The decor was spot on, and the overall vibe here is :goodvibes. The only downside to the stay was that each bldg didn't have it's own Laundry room...but other than that I'd stay here in a heartbeat again....If it weren't so darn expensive....LoL

If you want two real beds, stick with the hotel room. If you can sleep on the sleeper sofa, go for either.

We stayed resort side this past summer and didn’t love our room. It was large no doubt but we don’t need a ton of room and it just felt... worn. We toured a DVC studio and loved it. Two bathrooms are very appealing even for our little group of 3. I can be doing my makeup while the other two shower. We rented points for our stay this summer. Hopefully we like staying there as much as we liked touring it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter