• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Polynesian Pool Slide Question

onceuponadream

<font color=0000cc>Keeping fingers crossed<br><fon
Hi all!

I was just browsing Tikeman's site (thanks for the great site Tikiman :)). I noticed that the volcano slide is enclosed. I have 4 kids..one who is terrified of the dark. Is it really dark in the slide if it's enclosed? Also how "fast" is it. It will be great for my brave child but not sure my 6 year old (who is a beginner swimmer) or my 11 year old who is petrified of the dark (I know 11 years old and as tall as I am but afraid of the dark :)) will be able to enjoy it..any comments to those who've experienced it? We plan to spend every afternoon at the pool and are still deciding between CSR, POR or Poly for our 2nd resort of our 3 resort hop!

We were just there a couple of weeks ago and it was not completely dark. It is enclosed but somewhere (maybe where the tubes connect with each other) light is being let in. I also have a child who won't sleep without 3 nightlights and he was fine with it. It may depend on your weight but it did not seem very fast to me as an adult. You also go slower if you sit up.

There are a few quick sections that are dark but through most of it there are red lights in the top of the tub to make it look like a lava tube. It is a fast slide also but it seems that a lot of young kids love it.

Is the slide long? You mentioned it was alot longer that the AKL slide.. We love a good slide..thanks...amy

The slide is 120 feet long winding down through the volcano from 40 up.

I am not all that excited about resort slides but I think the Polynesian slide is great. I go down about 20 times a visit. I went down the one at SAB and AKL about 2 times and I was done.

My 4yr old DS is the king of all chickens and can't swim without water wings and he was going down all NIGHT! long. I couldn't believe it. There is a red light in the tube and a few short sections of darkness. It's so fast they won't even notice. They'll love it!

28 days and counting!!!!!

My 9 year old is a very cautious kind of person. He would not go down that slide for the longest time during our stay. His older brother would coaxe him and even tease him. Finally on the last day of our vacation, he tried the slide. I still cannot believe he actually went down. After the first "brave" time down the slide, he was one constant motion down the slide then back up the steps again!! He was so proud of himself!!

The entrance to the slide looks like a hole that goes nowhere... there is a red light that lights the tube. I really understand how a young child could be scared of this slide to no-where!! but in our case, one time down did the trick! I highly recommend the slide to anyone young or old. It is very fast and twisty, but no big hills.

My almost 6 yr. old will not go down the slide and we have stayed at the Poly 6 times in the past 2 years. I went down the slide myself and found it quite dark and the red lights did not reassure me. I consider us a fairly brave family and my 7y/o loves the slide but be forewarned that you could have some problems. Another DISer and I chat about this same issue since she has the same problem w/her son and always stays at the Poly and we frequently try to decide if another resort would be better to give our little guys a chance at some slide fun. I realize that most posters love the slide, it just wasn't as much fun for our family. Threehearts

Just wondering which slide is darker, the polyside or the slide at stormalong bay??thanks...=amy

I stayed at the Polynesian and the BC on my last trip. The slide at SAB is longer and darker. That may change since they are rehabbing the slide area at Y&BC right now.

My 3 year old DD loves the kiddie slide at the BC. It's short and open. One thing ... at the Polynesian children were allowed to go down the slide with life vests on and swimmies. At the BC they had to be able to swim to the line all by themselves with no floatation devices. My 3 year old went down the Polynesian slide with me (yes, the lifeguard yelled at me), but would not go down again alone. Maybe next time ... she's such a fish!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter