Poly Concierge and EWC

Disneyhappy

DIS Veteran
We are planning on taking my parents on our next trip to Disney. Unfortuantely, my father will require a wheelchair and I am trying to figure out the best resort for his needs. I seem to recall that the Poly concierge offered electronic wheelchairs (based on availability) when we stayed there in 2000. Does anyone know if they still do this. I noted that they have jogging strollers available but I don't think my father would be too comfortable in one!
Thanks for any help!

I've never heard of ANY WDW resort or park offering electric wheelchairs for free or otherwise. Those can be rented from CareMed. If you mean the scooters, as far as I know those are also ont available for free from concierge or otherwise, and I think also only available at the theme parks.

If you will need an electric chair or scooter at the resort as well as the theme parks, renting one from a medical supply place will be the way to go. That way you are guaranteed of getting one (at the parks they are first come first served, and you can't reserve in advance) and he will ahve it for the theme parks as well as the resorts.

As far as the best resort for handicapped individuals, it depends on where you will be spending most of your time. The advantanges to the MK resorts is themonorail...however IMHO that is FAR from being easy and efficient. You can only take the monorail to the MK without transferring, and changing requires going down and then up a rather steep incline. If you do'nt plan on spending a majority of your time at the MK, then I'd look at the Epcot resorts.

The BWI, BC, YC, and BCV and BWV would be excellent choices. You can WALK to Epcot and MGM without ever having to get on a bus or boat or tram or monorail. Room rates are generally lower as well :)

You might also want to consider a 2BR villa at the BWV or BCV...for the same cost as ttwo concierge rooms you can get a full kitchen and nice living room where you can relax.

Anne

I think the Polynesian is very easy for transportation to both Epcot and MK. Our daughter has used both a manual chair and a power chair on trips to the Polynesian. To the MK you can use the elevator in the GCH for easy access to the monorail. If you're pushing a manual chair than the ferry is the easiest way back to the Poly and is very fast to boot. To go to Epcot make the short walk to the TTC. You will have to push the chair up the ramp at the TTC but at Epcot there is an elevator which makes life much easier. If your father uses an ECV then the ramps are no problem. To MGM and AK you do have to use a bus but you can take a bus from either the front of GCH or the TTC whichever is closer or on the return trip whichever comes first.

The Epcot resorts have direct access to both Epcot and MGM but it's a long steep push up those hills between WS and the resorts...deceptively so until the first time you push a manual chair. And my daughter is under 100lb.. Again with an ECV it's a moot point but watch your battery.

The Polynesian as well as other resorts will loan you a manual chair for use in the parks as well as the resort. Don't know if concierge has access to an ECV but I doubt that they have a power chair. BTW it's my understanding that the Polynesian has more accessible rooms than any resort at WDW...I think for a reason.

Thank you for your kind replies. A weekly rental may be the way to go. You also gave me a lot to think about as far as where to stay. Its a good thing I have a little more time to think before making a decision.
Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter