Votes: 163 21.2%
  • 300-500

Votes: 205 26.7%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 115 15.0%
  • 1000+

Votes: 34 4.4%

• Total voters
We are pretty off topic, so I’m not going to respond except to say 1500 on the SAT, out of 1600, is the top 1%. If you don’t get a scholarship, I would be shocked!

We own 2 contracts and are happily at the point where we are beyond break even and our vacations now only cost the yearly dues.
210 BWV
160 AKL

We own 2 contracts and are happily at the point where we are beyond break even and our vacations now only cost the yearly dues.
210 BWV
160 AKL
That's awesome. I'm at the same point with 325 BWV. But I have to ask...doesn't it bother you even a little bit knowing that you could instantly trade your contracts for $40,000 right now? It's driving me crazy and I'm looking for a rationale to keep my points. But they've doubled in value since I bought them and I'm feeling like a bit of a sucker not selling.

You have to look at the numbers.
If you sell, what would it cost you each year to have the same type of room. And you have to assume the cost will go up each year.
If the numbers favor selling, then you could sell.
For us, while it is tempting to sell, I think we still have an upside to holding (at least for now).

The increase in hotel rooms is one of the reasons I wanted to buy in. I've watched AKV prices climb in the last 7-8 years, and that's somewhere I really wanted to stay. If I'm going to pay $200 for a value, which is the rate I see now, I'd MUCH rather have DVC.

But with BWV - there is the argument at some point soon the value will decline. ELMC, have you thought about selling some points and buying in somewhere else?

I have 135 points at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I'm from the UK and plan to travel every other year if not most. At the time of year we travel the points would give me enough for either 10-14 nights every year in a studio or every other year in a one bed. I've wanted to buy in since 2008 but my husband to be was less convinced. After we stayed at AKL one year for one night then went to Art of Animation we realised we love staying in deluxe too much.

Now with room rates at AKL rising we decided to buy in, especially as resale value meant that buying the points was just double the cost of what we would have paid for the same room for our honeymoon in a cash booking. An we will more than recoup that on all our future trips with DVC inc factoring in dues.

Maybe ill add more points in the future but for now 135 points is fine.

We currently have 295 points at AKV (220 purchased via resale, 75 direct). I wish we had a little bit more, but for our current and expected travel patterns I think this will be o.k.

The increase in hotel rooms is one of the reasons I wanted to buy in. I've watched AKV prices climb in the last 7-8 years, and that's somewhere I really wanted to stay. If I'm going to pay $200 for a value, which is the rate I see now, I'd MUCH rather have DVC.

But with BWV - there is the argument at some point soon the value will decline. ELMC, have you thought about selling some points and buying in somewhere else?
Yes and no. The reason owning at Boardwalk is so important is because we go to Food & Wine each year, sometimes bringing friends, and book multiple studios. That's not really an option for non-owners. However, this year, I was able to book three stays at the Swolphin within two weeks of arrival date for an average of $250 per night all-in. If that continues I will most likely look at selling some BWV points and staying elsewhere. But to your point, I have also noticed the INSANE increase in Disney hotel prices recently. So most likely my value will come from staying off-site, which I am fine with. I still love DVC and think it's a great product, but in my opinion, DVC as a whole is overpriced right now. I wouldn't mind reengaging if there were a price correction at some point in the future.

For what it's worth, the pricing structure is a double win for Disney. They raise their hotel rates, justifying higher prices for DVC and at the same time reap higher profits from the hotel division. It's a fair practice and one that can exist because the economy is strong. But if the economy changes I'd be interested to see how viable this strategy is.

So glad for the change vote option. Just went from 150 to 310, and I swear I will not add on anymore in the next 5 years.....

Good Luck with that. Don't make promises you can't keep!!! All kidding aside, Congrats, and Welcome Home, once again!!!

Great3

DW is out of control and I am an enabler. We started with 200 VGF points and quickly discovered (because we booked so late) that we really like big villas and needed more points to travel that way; add another 204 VGF resale. We did a split stay at BCV and VGF; add 200 BCV resale. A stay in a 1 bd at BLT showed us the double advantage of an extra bathroom and walking to MK; add 280 BLT resale. Now that we are up to 884, DW is mumbling about adding 116 to get to 1000 points (apparently it comes with a key to the DVC 1000 point washroom).

To use all the points DW invited the extended family down for a few days. Our intention was to get a BLT Grand Villa (never stayed in one before). Too many said yes so had to switch to two 2bd villas. Upside: two 2bd villas uses fewer points than grand villa. Downside: don't get to stay in grand villa.
Love it -- let us know when you score that bathroom key ! :)

I say all you high point holders should take those nice shiny cabins and villas and leave value studios to us 'little' folk :) Just saying.....oh invite me along to join in all the point fun! Nice to have 500+ points....one day we'll get there... one day.

We bought our first of 600 points at OKW 150 in 1997, added on at what was Villas of Wilderness Lodge 100, SS 150 and BLT 200.
we used them at WDW, Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Aulani and Disney Cruises.
we didn’t have children, just the 2 of us, now it’s just me but I’ve been bringing friends with me.

We bought our first contract via resale (310 OKW points) about 5 years ago. We live on the west coast, and “discovered” DVC while staying at Aulani, but after a bit of research we found a great resale deal at OKW (Aulani wasn’t readily available then) and have used our OKW points for stays at Aulani, multiple stays at the Grand Californian (we always stay in 1 bedroom units, so have always found availability at exactly the 7 month mark) and once at AKV in 2017. We actually have our first OKW stay coming up in 3 days (followed by a Disney cruise, then a stay at BVC) and are super excited to check it out!

After our OKW purchase, we were (or at least I was) hooked. We have since added on 3 more resale contracts at Aulani (150 pts, 120 pts and 240 pts) as the resale price is good and we spend ALOT of time there, so now we are up to 820 pts.

I would love to add on at AKV and VGC, but for now my husband has laid down the law.😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!