Votes: 163 21.2%
  • 300-500

Votes: 205 26.7%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 115 15.0%
  • 1000+

Votes: 34 4.4%

• Total voters
DW is out of control and I am an enabler. We started with 200 VGF points and quickly discovered (because we booked so late) that we really like big villas and needed more points to travel that way; add another 204 VGF resale. We did a split stay at BCV and VGF; add 200 BCV resale. A stay in a 1 bd at BLT showed us the double advantage of an extra bathroom and walking to MK; add 280 BLT resale. Now that we are up to 884, DW is mumbling about adding 116 to get to 1000 points (apparently it comes with a key to the DVC 1000 point washroom).

To use all the points DW invited the extended family down for a few days. Our intention was to get a BLT Grand Villa (never stayed in one before). Too many said yes so had to switch to two 2bd villas. Upside: two 2bd villas uses fewer points than grand villa. Downside: don't get to stay in grand villa.

For the sake of my retirement, remind me to keep my SO away from you and Sandisw

I make a decent salary and I cannot fathom dropping 100k on Disney. Hell, it pains me to think about dropping 10k there. To each their own certainly applies!

There lies the problem. You can't look at it as dropping 100k on Disney. You have to look at it as - it's only $6000 in annual dues. A single disney vacation could cost more than that! Plus, if you go resale and buy SSR @ $80/pop, it's **only** $70,000. It's a DEAL!

By my calculations based on Disney's new minimum wage, that's only 2.25 years worth of work to pay that off. **Excluding taxes, interests, fees and neccessities such as food, shelter & water. But I can also now get some of that from club level for the next 50 years, so an investment really if you think about it....

For the sake of my retirement, remind me to keep my SO away from you and Sandisw

There lies the problem. You can't look at it as dropping 100k on Disney. You have to look at it as - it's only $6000 in annual dues. A single disney vacation could cost more than that! Plus, if you go resale and buy SSR @ $80/pop, it's **only** $70,000. It's a DEAL!

By my calculations based on Disney's new minimum wage, that's only 2.25 years worth of work to pay that off. **Excluding taxes, interests, fees and neccessities such as food, shelter & water. But I can also now get some of that from club level for the next 50 years, so an investment really if you think about it....

Ha, the best part is I can't even tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or not. At those prices, it's going to be difficult for me to see it as anything other than, "do I want to send my kids to college or go to Disney a whole bunch?" That's my own personal financial situation though. If I had enough money to do both, which I assume some do, then have at it.

Ha, the best part is I can't even tell if this is tongue-in-cheek or not. At those prices, it's going to be difficult for me to see it as anything other than, "do I want to send my kids to college or go to Disney a whole bunch?" That's my own personal financial situation though. If I had enough money to do both, which I assume some do, then have at it.

College or Disney. When you think about it, are they really that different?

- Both charge you to get in.
- You can get room and board on campus, which is more expensive than off campus, but you lose out on the experience and convenience.
- Both offer an overpriced dining plan that your kids probably won’t use.
- Both are always trying to sell you their branded clothing, banners, etc
- Both have people dressed as characters
- Both have a sports division that isn’t the primary focus but generates significant revenue
- Both strongly encourages using campus transportation
- Both are raising admission prices by astronomical amounts that is several times inflation.
- Both have people who talk and tell stories while your kids listen
- Despite the advances in presentation styles, the material is from books for both

Exhibit A:

**For the record, I don’t actually condone raiding a college fund for DVC. I’m just an absurd person who gets carried away with random thoughts.

College or Disney. When you think about it, are they really that different?

- Both charge you to get in.
- You can get room and board on campus, which is more expensive than off campus, but you lose out on the experience and convenience.
- Both offer an overpriced dining plan that your kids probably won’t use.
- Both are always trying to sell you their branded clothing, banners, etc
- Both have people dressed as characters
- Both have a sports division that isn’t the primary focus but generates significant revenue
- Both strongly encourages using campus transportation
- Both are raising admission prices by astronomical amounts that is several times inflation.
- Both have people who talk and tell stories while your kids listen
- Despite the advances in presentation styles, the material is from books for both

Exhibit A:
View attachment 437301

**For the record, I don’t actually condone raiding a college fund for DVC. I’m just an absurd person who gets carried away with random thoughts.
Fun tidbit, the Oregon Duck is Donald Duck. It goes all the way back to like the 40’s when Walt made a handshake agreement with the school’s athletic department.

We bought 480 AKL points direct in 2011 (two 240 point contracts). Back then the Canadian dollar was at par so yay!

Added on 400 Aulani points resale (with subsidized dues) in 2017.

This is where I’m at now. I added on last minute to my fall trip and obviously DVC is not an option when you do that. I just paid > $1200 for 3 AP “Discounted” nights at AKV (one of my home resorts). I could have used that on more points and just did a longer stay in 7-11 months.

Only 295 at present, all at Boulder Ridge: 127 Direct, 168 Resale.

We will wait to see for Reflections before we consider adding on. Our current thinking is to add on there, or to AKL (our current second favorite after WL).

I make a decent salary and I cannot fathom dropping 100k on Disney. Hell, it pains me to think about dropping 10k there. To each their own certainly applies!

LOL. I get it. Most people don’t get it. Even hubby doesn’t like it as much as I do...not even close. But I paid $55 and $80 per point for my BWV and $75 and $77 per point for my SSR points. That was a steal and We looked at it as part of the retirement plan for me so I can visit Disney often every year...like 8 or 9 times..and take a family trip every other year.

He likes the beach better so the compromise is that in a few years , we buy a condo in the SC region to escape NY winter for 3 months and I got my Disney points!😂😂

College isn’t actually that expensive if you go to your local state school. Easily cash flowed if your child helps by working summers. Lots of scholarships out there too. But so many people get caught up in private school and end up with debt even with saving.

We currently have 175 with two contracts. I'd like to add on another 100 points or so down the road.

We have two 200pt contracts. Both are BLT, same use year. This way we can leave one contract to each of our daughters.

We presently have 320, 220 OKW (2042) and 100 AKV.

I’d like to eventually own enough to spend a month at WDW every winter, probably in a studio.

Is everyone's use year the same or split up between multiple contracts?

I have two contracts and two Use Years. Although a lot of people like having only one, I like the ability of have more wait lists active.

I presently have Dec and Feb. I will concede that booking early in the year with the UYs in two calendar years has caused some issues. An Oct and Dec combination probably would have been better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter