Poll: Disney fans' favorite Universal Hotel!

Which Universal Hotel do Disney fans like best?

• Portofino Bay Hotel

• Hard Rock Hotel

• Royal Pacific Resort

Results are only viewable after voting.

wdwphanatic

Mouseketeer
Hi, everyone!! We're planning to take our first non-Disney trip to Orlando EVER in Feb. and wondered which of the 3 onsite Universal resorts our fellow Disney fans would recommend the highest... Just to give you some background, I've stayed at many Disney resorts, and my favorites are BC and WL. We'll be at Universal with our two ds's (ages 8 and 5) and some friends (who have kids ages 5, 9 and 11)... Which resort would be best for our group? Why? Please also share any experiences with the different resorts you've visited and how you liked USF vs WDW!

Thanks sooooo much,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
If you could possibly bump your trip up to Jan, AAA is having a pretty good "sale" on the Universal Hotels.

Here is a link:
http://www.aaa.com/scripts/WebObjec...004/wo/kVIYCM4TBDqW8ORf4P2hM0/4.WOMetaRefresh

Even if you're not a member, you can still price the trip. Click on the "package" button.

I was hoping to get away in Jan, but it doesn't look like it will happen for us. I can't answer your question abt hotels as we haven't stayed at any (yet).

Good luck,

Hi :)

I have stayed at both the Royal Pacific (5 nights standard) and the Hard Rock (6 nights club level)

Next year I am going to try for the Portofino so I can be a member of the "Me Me - I stayed at all three" Club.

I liked the Hard Rock better than the Royal Pacific, I loved the decor of the room and the building, the pool is beautiful and we rented a cabana 5 of our six days which was great fun.

The only thing I would not do again was stay Club Level there - it has nothing to do with the cost, it is just that it was overcrowded and the food they served was icky.

You can't go wrong at any of these hotels they are really first rate properties with excellent facilites and close proximity to the parks and city walk.

I have some photos of both our hotel stays on my website link below.

>>^..^<<

Have only stayed at Portofino, it was beautiful very "Posh & Elegant" but not so sure the children would like it. I was going to try Hard Rock for our next trip for the kids.

The Hard Rock is super cool in all respects. It is also super close to US, City Walk and IOA. It is an easy walk to everything. It is everything that Disney Hotels are. So is Portotino but it just isn't as close to the action.

HBC

I've stayed at all 3 and I really loved the Royal Pacific ambience and decor. The Portofino is very romantic and great for couples. But for kids, the Hard Rock can't be beat. I don't really care for the decor and theme, but we stay there mostly for the location. It's right next door to Universal and Islands of Adventure - about a 5 minute walk. The pool is good too.

We just returned from Portifino and stayed last year at Hard Rock. Next year we are trying Royal Pacific, but our favorite so far is Hard Rock. Portifino is beautiful but not as kid friendly. We also got the $35 upgrade at HR to a kids suite and it was wonderful. I did ask for the upgrade at Portifino, but none were available.

Only stayed at the Portofino.

The beds were wonderful...most comfortable of any I've ever slept on.

The bathrooms were also very very nice. Large with bath and shower...lots of room. It's a dressing room as well as a bathroom which can lead to some problems schedule-wise...depending on how many people are in the room.

The look is impressive especially by boat, looks alot like the Italian seacoast town. So picturesque! The pool is great fun with it's waterfall and really attentive bar service! And the gellato stand is not to be missed.

That said...there is no magic here. Basically charmless. But that's OK, since IOA and USF has little charm but lots of punch.

All a matter of taste.

FYI: It is much more expensive drinkwise and snack/foodwise at Portofino then at any resort in WDW.

At least it was a couple years ago...lots can change.

Originally posted by MAGICinMYHEART
Have only stayed at Portofino, it was beautiful very "Posh & Elegant" but not so sure the children would like it. I was going to try Hard Rock for our next trip for the kids.

I stayed there last year with my then 6 and 8 year old nephews and they loooooooooooooooooooooved it! They loved the decor, that the bathroom had separate shower and tub, the beds were very comfortable, the pool that was surrounded by sand and the pool slide. They loved the Christmas tree in the square, the pizza from the cafe, the boat ride to US and I could go on. We were there just prior to Christmas so the hotel was far from full but I saw several familys with young children.

They still talk about it and were very sad that there mother didn't take them there when they were in Florida in April. Heck they were annoyed that we are not staying there this December.

We chose the Portofino last year because that's where the adults wanted to stay. We feel that if the vacations are planned around the children (We like Disney but we like Vegas too, sans kids) the least we can get out of the deal is our preference in hotels. Much to our joy we have discovered that the boys are just as boujois as we are and like really nice hotels.

Have stayed at Royal Pacific and Portofino and love them both. I am trying the Hard Rock next and then we will see.....

We have stayed at the Portofino and the Royal Pacific...both, extremely kid friendly by the way!

Either will be great, you will find both of them a step above where you have stayed at disney.

I've stayed at the 3 and have stayed at WL, AKL, DL, and Poly.
RPR comes closest to a theme. What kid wants to go to Italy?
My kids vote Hard Rock for the cool, the pool and the music.

I have stayed at all three of the Universal hotels and RPR is my new favorite. PBH has lovely rooms, huge bathrooms and is really lovely. Restaurants are good and the pools areas are great. The Beach Pool is great for kids and the Villa Pool is great for adults. The HRH is my least favorite. The room was very nice, location is great and the pool is very kid friendly. However, it just wasn't my favorite. Perhaps it is the music playing all the time. Now don't misunderstand, I love music, my husband is a musician, but it is always playing. Not as relaxing after a hectic day in the parks. I loved the atmosphere of the RPR. The tropical theme, nice restaurants, including Emeril's, Tschoup Chop, and very nice pool area. The rooms are not as big or luxurious as PBH or HRH, but, of course, the RPR is less expensive. We stayed at the RPR in July in a standard view room at the Ent. rate of $110. We had a dead-on view of the Hulk and the nightly fireworks. It was a great bargain. A four star hotel at a two star rate!

The great thing is - you can't make a mistake on any of these hotels. They are all great. It's a matter of taste. Front of the line is awesome and you will love it!

Have fun! (We are headed back to RPR in February - can't wait!)

Thanks so much for all the feedback... keep it coming!!!!

We've been leaning towards HRH because of its proximity to the parks and the pool slide! Although the atmosphere of PBH appeals to me the most, I feel that my kids may be too young to appreciate it. I do like the idea of a separate shower and tub... Is that true for all rooms at PBH or just the deluxe ones?? That could be a factor for our friends, as they have 3 kids and might appreciate having both available in the mornings.

I would also love to try RPR. The price can't be beat and the theming looks very romantic! My only concerns about that hotel are the smaller size of the rooms (with 3 kids, it sounds like it might be kind of tight for our friends) and the lack of a pool slide. I know we could use the other resorts' pools, but since we'll be there in February, it might be preferable not to have to leave our hotel to swim.

Thanks again for all the advice! Oh, and thanks to >>^..^<< for the link to your website! I really enjoyed viewing all the pictures of your trip to Universal!!

Let me know if you have any additional bits of advice for planning our trip!

Take care,
Sarah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter