Poll: ball play in pools? How do you feel?

How do you feel about ball play in the pools?

• Love it; do it all the time!

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Stop throwing that ball!

Votes: 97 58.8%
  • It's okay in the quiet pools.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 27 16.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don’t think any food or drink is acceptable in the pool. I don’t really care how you hide the fact that it’s “a relaxing adult beverage”. That just shows you already know it’s wrong.

It’s kind of special you were asking about the acceptability of ball play in the pools while you were doing something blatantly against the rules. Even more so the number of people here who didn’t flinch at your drink but also pooped on the ball play party.

I couldn’t find the pool rules from an official Disney site, but lots of people have taken pictures of the rules board at various resorts. They consistently say no food or drink in the pool.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=disn...hUKEwidjdT4u-TkAhXoYt8KHRUGA8IQ_AUoAXoECBAQAQ

When we stayed at the Contemporary a few years ago, two women were eating lunch in the quiet pool. They had burgers and fries. There were no CM’s around. One of them dropped some food in the pool. I made a comment about the posted rules. They didn’t like that lol, and continued their meal.

I think as with most things common sense and courtesy is key.

In a crowded pool? No. In a fairly empty pool where you aren’t bothering others? Go ahead!
The problem is that a lot of people don’t have common courtesy and are unaware of others. I remember this “yahoo” and his kids at Polynesian’s quiet pool that took over the entire pool throwing tennis balls. They were stationed at four different ends of the pool. There was no way to avoid them. No safe area. They jumped up and dove to catch the ball splashing everywhere sometimes crashing into very surprised swimmers. They were also loud and absolutely obnoxious. Nobody stopped them. I had a few choice words to say, but I controlled myself.

People like that are clueless about anyone besides themselves.

At the pool we went to at pop there was a volleyball net across the pool and a basket filled with balls. I don’t think my kids would have thought to play if the equipment wasn’t sitting right there. 😂 it wasn’t the main pool so there weren’t many people to bother.

At the pool we went to at pop there was a volleyball net across the pool and a basket filled with balls. I don’t think my kids would have thought to play if the equipment wasn’t sitting right there. 😂 it wasn’t the main pool so there weren’t many people to bother.

We were at that pool a couple weeks ago. There was a high-energy game going on while we were there, but we just stayed over toward the end and it didn't bother us at all. There weren't many people at all in the pool, though, so lots of room.

When we stayed at the Contemporary a few years ago, two women were eating lunch in the quiet pool. They had burgers and fries. There were no CM’s around. One of them dropped some food in the pool. I made a comment about the posted rules. They didn’t like that lol, and continued their meal.
They probably didn't shower before getting into the pool either. ;)

1569166594735.png437893

I wouldn’t mind it if people were aware of their surrounding. However they pretty much never are. Once my 4 yr old was hit in the face twice in a row despite us moving further away. Since people are rude about it I’d just rather not see it at all.

Fwiw, my stay in July at CSR there were quite a few of us in the quiet pool past the posted time. Security even came, walked thru the area, and left. I think as long as you are not being super noisy they don't care if you swim past the posted hours. Sometimes Disney rules are guidelines.
Correct. Even in the main pool folks swim after hours. Just have to be less noisy and all.

My son and i toss a ball in pools wherever we are. At the Pop this Summer it was in the bowling pin pool and the pool was not busy. I use common sense and if there isn't room to to toss a ball, we don’t. But where will complaints stop.....kids being too loud, kids jumping in from the pool sides, ball tossing, lap swimming, a fam taking up too many loungers......IMO, people get offended too easily.

It’s disrespectful that you think you are a pool cop and want to prevent folks from having fun. It’s common and kids are having fun. If a ball comes near me. I throw it back. It’s a non issue. The horror of folks having fun on vacation. Lol
A lot of folks out there get triggered by others having fun. Can’t imagine being that un happy.
I have no objection with others having fun, in fact, I encourage it. You can do whatever you please in your pool in your own backyard. However, when you’re sharing use of a resort pool or public pool, you should be considerate of those around you. You don’t get to have fun at the expense of others’ fun.

A little common courtesy goes a long way.

My son and i toss a ball in pools wherever we are. At the Pop this Summer it was in the bowling pin pool and the pool was not busy. I use common sense and if there isn't room to to toss a ball, we don’t. But where will complaints stop.....kids being too loud, kids jumping in from the pool sides, ball tossing, lap swimming, a fam taking up too many loungers......IMO, people get offended too easily.

I have a probem with kids jumping in the pool right next to me, if anything happens once they jumped that insnt planned something horrible can happen, like if I am not paying attention and turn and they land on my neck.. If kids are jumping while people are in the pool it is the parents responsability to harness them and have them safely jumping in the pool which never happens and again is the main issue, lack of parenting.

It doesn't bother me in the least. I definitely prefer ball throwing to a repetitive game of Marco Polo, unattended kids in the hot tub and chair saving. And when I go to the pool I expect to be splashed.

Ball throwing in a pool is not only ok. It’s expected.

What do pools have to do with throwing a ball? They aren’t connected at all.

And I grew up in California with pools and water all around, but I don’t know what the ball thing has to do with swimming.

At the risk of starting a whole new debate, am I the only one who thinks having food or drink in the pool is unacceptable?

Food is gross but I don’t know what the issue with drinks would be.

I don’t really care how you hide the fact that it’s “a relaxing adult beverage”. That just shows you already know it’s wrong.

It’s wrong to put something into a plastic cup rather than glass? I’m confused. Isn’t it a good thing to put it into a covered, unbreakable container?

At the risk of starting a whole new debate, am I the only one who thinks having food or drink in the pool is unacceptable?

That’s what stood out in the original post for me as opposed to a family frolicking in the pool with a ball.
I personally don’t think any food or drink is acceptable in the pool. I don’t really care how you hide the fact that it’s “a relaxing adult beverage”. That just shows you already know it’s wrong.

It’s kind of special you were asking about the acceptability of ball play in the pools while you were doing something blatantly against the rules. Even more so the number of people here who didn’t flinch at your drink but also pooped on the ball play party.

I couldn’t find the pool rules from an official Disney site, but lots of people have taken pictures of the rules board at various resorts. They consistently say no food or drink in the pool.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=disn...hUKEwidjdT4u-TkAhXoYt8KHRUGA8IQ_AUoAXoECBAQAQ

near the wet deck, the outside rim of the pool, you can have beverages in plastic in the pool area...

My DD and I have put our (non-glass) water bottles on the pool deck as an easy way to stay hydrated while we’re swimming at a few Disney resorts, and the lifeguards have never said anything to me. I have yet to encounter anyone eating in a Disney pool but the idea of it is kind of gross. I wouldn’t do it.

OP here. In my opening post, I specified the GF courtyard pool. People do drink in this pool and sometimes there is waiter service. Like a previous poster, I'd be pretty perplexed by someone eating in the pool! I think we can all agree that playing ball, tag or having a drink is fine as long as you are respectful of other bathers.

My husband and I throw a small soft ball back and forth to each other all the time. I hardly think it’s encroaching on other people and their desire for quiet. Pools are made to be jumped in, splashed about and in general enjoy. If you don’t want to enjoy the pool that way, I’m sure there are other options. The Disney pools are large enough you can find space. And we move from spot to spot to avoid people and children although the ball we use is fabric and very light. We belong to a club and go to our club pool all the t8me. There are kids and adults there that throw footballs or volleyballs back and forth, I have been hit in the head with one of those so I understand that lifeguards should not allow those type of balls to be thrown. And I have seen Disney lifeguards curtail throwing a hard ball.

I voted other since the other options made no since for my views. It doesn't bother me at all if kids / adults are throwing a ball and having a good time. I don't worry about being hit either. If it happens, I simply throw it back. If they are occupying a large section of the pool then they should expect others to swim through as I do all the time. The pool is for everyone to enjoy so if others want to play ball, jump in the pool, splash etc. so be it. Just don't expect me to avoid your location and I won't expect you to not hit me with your ball.

near the wet deck, the outside rim of the pool, you can have beverages in plastic in the pool area...

POFQ won't allow any drinks around the edge of the pool. So if you're sitting on the edge of the pool with your legs in the water and a drink in your hand, you'll be asked to either move or put the drink back at your chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter