Poll: ball play in pools? How do you feel?

How do you feel about ball play in the pools?

• Love it; do it all the time!

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Stop throwing that ball!

Votes: 97 58.8%
  • It's okay in the quiet pools.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 27 16.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at this point, 60% are not in favor of ball play in the pool. I've never seen a beach ball in a Disney pool, but I would be okay with that.

Well, at this point, 60% are not in favor of ball play in the pool. I've never seen a beach ball in a Disney pool, but I would be okay with that.
A couple of years ago at Pop, the pool recreation cm’s were giving away mini beach balls as trivia prizes. Everyone got pinged in the head that trip. :rotfl:

Really? So the Frozen-themed beach towel I bought for my son at target the other day can't be used at Disney pools either?

I've been following these boards for some time, and the list of things that people find to be unacceptable and rude at WDW is ever expanding. It has included everything from bubble wands (sold by WDW, apparently with the intention that 4-year olds should wait to use them until they get home from vacation), to people who wear t-shirts or flip flops at table signature restaurants (apparently to some, dinner enjoyment is all about other people's clothes rather than enjoying your own table companions and food), to people who wear mickey ears during the fireworks (it "blocks" the view of the entire sky, somehow). And now, getting splashed at pools.
There are alot of folks with the mind set that- they want to ban what they dont agree with...Its the mindset of .."I dont like that so its wrong or selfish to do it. In the end, its a difference of opinion. If I personally dont like something...I would never expect anyone else to stop if i thought it was offensive or wrong. Thats each persons opinion.
If I dont like something...I dont do it. I would never expect someone else not to do it..thats their business if they want to.

But when you are talking about a public pool or something like that, the wants of the few people who feel like tossing a ball around don't outweigh the wants of the majority. THAT is the definition of selfish...when one person wants to do what he wants and does not consider others.

I routinely swim laps in our neighborhood pool. It is a junior Olympic sized pool with lap lines. I stick to one lane on the very edge of the pool. It is rude and selfish when I am there first, swimming laps, and people show up, jump into the pool in my lane and start tossing a ball around, right where I am swimming. They have the whole rest of the pool, but no, they need to encroach on my one lane at the very edge. I cannot tell you how often this happens and it is, by definition, selfish. Or when the pool is quite full, yet people show up with GIANT inflatables and then proceed to bump into everyone with them as they float around. FWIW, both these things are activities prohibited by our community and posted on large signs in the pool area. People breaking rules knowingly and encroaching on other's personal space is rude and selfish and there is no way to spin that the other way, sorry.
Not to get off topic..so if the majority wants to ban anyone over 6' tall at WDW that's ok? I mean it negatively affects short people..they can't see over them during shows..etc.. Since the majority want it? I think history has shown where that attitude leads too..
Or what if the majority said only skinny people can swim because anything else negative affects them.....
It sounds like you just dont like people that much and want the world to yourself. It doesn't work that way. Sorry.

Last edited:
In the quiet pools, I like to have more quiet. DH and I love to get our noodles and hang out at the BWV quiet pool and relax.

I had to call security on some people at an Old Key West quiet pool during my last trip. It was 1am and people were just slapping each other as hard as they could with the pool noodles. That sound travels more than you’d think... lol

Disney has no rule against having balls in the pool. So personal preference aside no one is being selfish or rude by having them.

As long as someone isn't purposely throwing a ball at you it isn't an issue.

Really? So the Frozen-themed beach towel I bought for my son at target the other day can't be used at Disney pools either?

I've been following these boards for some time, and the list of things that people find to be unacceptable and rude at WDW is ever expanding. It has included everything from bubble wands (sold by WDW, apparently with the intention that 4-year olds should wait to use them until they get home from vacation), to people who wear t-shirts or flip flops at table signature restaurants (apparently to some, dinner enjoyment is all about other people's clothes rather than enjoying your own table companions and food), to people who wear mickey ears during the fireworks (it "blocks" the view of the entire sky, somehow). And now, getting splashed at pools.

Dont forget you can't put your hands in the air on rides either. You may block someone's photo op.

Some people seem to have mental lists of rules a mile long. Do they seriously just float around in one small spot of the pool so as to not splash anyone? Sounds boring.

Not to get off topic..so if the majority wants to ban anyone over 6' tall at WDW that's ok? I mean it negatively affects short people..they can't see over them during shows..etc.. Since the majority want it? I think history has shown where that attitude leads too..
Or what if the majority said only skinny people can swim because anything else negative affects them.....
It sounds like you just dont like people that much and want the world to yourself. It doesn't work that way. Sorry.
That's way off the point here...imo. No one has suggested that throwing a ball should be banned. The OP asked "How do you feel" and people have said how they felt about it. There is no rule that states you cannot throw a ball, unfortunately, sometimes common sense is not used when throwing balls in a small area. Everyone wants to enjoy pool time when on vacation, being considerate of others goes a long way. There are pool parties scheduled during the day.. The kids seem to have a good time and I've seen the parents get in the action as well. Where they have parties is in a portion of the pool so as not to disrupt others. It also gives the parents a nice time to relax with that nice cold adult beverage!

I don't think anyone has an issue with legitimate pool volleyball or basketball (where there are nets installed), hitting a neoprene ball back and forth with paddles, or tapping a beach ball around.

What bothers me, and I think most people, are the pairs or groups of 3 or 4 who stand 15-20 feet apart and throw a ball, HARD, to each other, in a game of catch. When there is a small ball whizzing by at high speed, across a large stretch of the pool, it becomes an area that no one else can go into without fear of being hit. Even if you don't get hit, you are constantly flinching and ducking as the ball flies by your face. That is not enjoyable. Playing catch is a land sport. Do that outside the pool.

Completely agree. I can’t answer the OP’s question in an absolute, as there are many things to consider.

I don’t have an issue when the pool is busy with a lighter ball being tossed which isn’t going to hurt someone if accidentally thrown where it hits someone. If volleyball is happening where there’s a net or where it’s taking place in a less crowded area and players are aware of others, I’m good with that too.

But if the pool is crowded, it’s a heavier ball and everyone is spread out to catch it and not considerate of others around them who are also trying to enjoy the pool, too, I would rather this type of catch wasn’t occurring at that given time.

And to me, a quiet pool should be just that, quiet, or quieter than the bigger pools, anyways. Maybe I’m missing the intent of the quiet pool?? I always thought that’s the pool for people or families to go to when they want to remove themselves from the busier pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!