Poll: ball play in pools? How do you feel?

How do you feel about ball play in the pools?

• Love it; do it all the time!

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Stop throwing that ball!

Votes: 97 58.8%
  • It's okay in the quiet pools.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 27 16.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lotsohugginbear

Mouseketeer
I'll admit this is a pet peeve of mine. I settle into the GF courtyard pool with a relaxing adult beverage. Ahhh! Then a group of ball players descend into
the pool so I then have to duck and weave to avoid being hit and/or splashed. I was in a Coronado Springs quiet pool once when a man and his son decided to throw the ball right next to me while counting the throws. I got out when they reached 100 without any sign of getting bored with this activity. I can set my towel down on a quiet Maine beach only to have a group of men decide to play touch football right in front of me! So, I'm curious how other folks feel about ball playing in pools. Love it? Or do you find it an obtrusive annoyance?

Playing any type of team sport is fine in a pool as long as you are aware of your surroundings and others occupying it.
At least that's my take on the subject.
The pools at Poly are a good example. You might think the best place to play with a ball is at the Volcano pool but since it's swamped with younger kids having a good time it might make more sense to use the less utilized Oasis pool.

Then a group of ball players descend into
the pool so I then have to duck and weave
I was in a Coronado Springs quiet pool once when a man and his son decided to throw the ball right next to me
I can set my towel down on a quiet Maine beach only to have a group of men decide to play touch football right in front of me!
You haven't figured out yet that they're trying to get your attention/flirt with you? :)

I'm with you op. Although I certainly don't expect the pool at my Disney resort to be a tranquil oasis where I can take an afternoon nap I also would not like to be caught up in any of the scenarios you describe. I have, nevertheless, seen it. Usually there are more than 2 players and they stake out a large perimeter of the pool for their enjoyment. People then naturally stay away from said perimeter not to get hit and to avoid the ensuing splashing/screaming that comes along with it. Pool hogging at its worst.

I think “organized” games (by which I mean anyone can join in) of pool volleyball (or something of that nature) are fun. My DD has met several vacation friends this way, not even necessarily kids her age. She joined a volleyball game with some adults at the Pop Century last November and still talks about her friends from South Carolina. I find it slightly irritating, however, when DD and I are trying to swim, and there are two or three kids throwing a ball around the pool, completely oblivious to anyone near them. We usually relocate ourselves to another spot in the pool when we encounter this.

Sounds like many of you live in locales where private pool owning is the norm:).
If it is your pool, you get to take it over for your activities. If you are just one of many at the pool, you don't get to take it over. Ball playing takes over the pool, unless you are tossing a tiny ball to a small child two feet away from you. If anyone can get between you and your other ball player, you are taking over the pool for your singular use.

I believe the problem is that throwing the ball creates a large area that is not useable by other guests because they have to leave buffer space so they will not be hit by the ball or the people that are catching the ball. No one wants to be hit by the ball (regardless of what type of ball it is) and no one wants to the "catchers" running in to them. And yes both have happened to me more times than I can count.

It's tough, if everyone playing would be aware, then I would have zero problem with ball playing. Unfortunately not everyone pays attention, or a younger child throws the ball and it doesn't go where intended. My DS10 loves joining in if anyone is playing ball, and has joined in with others on multiple trips. Unfortunately, a couple of trips ago, in the Polynesian quiet pool. One of the boys who threw the ball hit my then DD1. She ended up with a bloody lip. DD and I were over to the side of the pool out of their throwing range, but the boy that threw it was maybe 7 and launched the ball without paying attention. Accidents happen, but could have been avoided.

Answered based on this being a "public" pool; aka hotel, community, neighborhood. Most pools I've been in have signs addressing this issue and other issues that disrupt the other guests and safety. Sadly at "swim at your own risk" pools there is no one to monitor activity.

Private pool do anything you want.

Public beach ... it's fine as long as they aren't hitting you with sand etc. If you truly want the perfect ocean view (and I'm a beach person who does enjoy this) then it's up to you to sit close enough that there is no room for a game to be set up.

Sounds like many of you live in locales where private pool owning is the norm:).

Not me. We have always had community pools. Technically, ball playing has always been against the rules, but there are no lifeguards at our pools so no one is there to police it. I find it as annoying as bringing in huge pool floats and taking up lots of space that way. It screams "this pool is for MY pleasure and screw everyone else." It's selfish. The only time it is okay is if you are literally the only people in the pool. Once others show up, knock it off. I make my kids follow this rule with their water blaster guns as well.

I have no problem with it. The pool is for everyone to enjoy. As long as they are not going out of there way to throw the ball at me, it isn't an issue. No different from kids jumping in or people splashing around. Pools are not meant to be only used for floating around.

I hate it. But I may be more persnickety than that average bear -- I also won't let my kids splash in a public pool, or scream, or jump in near somebody else. They still manage to have a lot of fun. Of course, I don't expect that I'll never get splashed or bumped into, but it seems like common courtesy for people to be aware of the space they're taking up and the way their actions affect others.

I absolutely HATE it. It is so selfish and disrespectful to other people in the pool. The only place this should happen is at private, backyard pools.
It’s disrespectful that you think you are a pool cop and want to prevent folks from having fun. It’s common and kids are having fun. If a ball comes near me. I throw it back. It’s a non issue. The horror of folks having fun on vacation. Lol
A lot of folks out there get triggered by others having fun. Can’t imagine being that un happy.

Last edited:
I don’t mind if it’s a beach ball, as those are generally harmless if they hit you. I always expect to be splashed in some way at a public pool. Any other kind of ball that has the potential to cause injury should not be in a public pool, unless it is specifically set up for the sport, like a pool set up for volleyball. It’s too easy for everyone to lose track of the ball and the players and other swimmers.

The beach is a much less confined space and I kind of expect balls of all kinds, frisbees, kites, fishing poles and other types of recreation to be going on. The beach is the same as a public park in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter