Poll: Are you going to buy at Riviera

As a DVC Owner - are you planning on adding on points at Riviera

• Yes - I definitely will. I love everything I've seen about the resort

Votes: 50 10.0%
  • Maybe - I am still waiting on more information (Points Charts, room selection, etc..)

Votes: 49 9.8%
  • No - I was but not now - I don't like the resale and/or likely points required.

Votes: 78 15.6%
  • No - If I add on, I'll add at one of the older resorts or buy resale

Votes: 154 30.9%
  • NO WAY - I was never even considering it.

Votes: 168 33.7%

• Total voters
I just closed on a guaranteed week at Copper Creek and Disney made it very clear in the paperwork that Rivera Resales would only be able to be used at Rivera. I spoke with my sales agent and he said that I would be able to use it at future resorts. It will be interesting to see what the paperwork says for Rivera when he sends it to me for this resort. I don’t plan on purchasing if it is limited to only Riveria. I was in Disney yesterday and drove by the construction site for Riveria. All the floors are built but all of the skin is not on and the site work is. It finished.

Looks like they are getting all their ducks in a row in order to jumpstart selling Riviera anytime now. I got an email the other day to verify my phone number after entering the Riviera sweepstakes and had indicated I was interested in information. Then this morning I got a call from a DVC salesperson who wanted to verify I was interested in presale information of Riviera and transferred me to my guide to officially confirm.
Seems like overkill, just release the information already.

We're pretty sure that they'll do guaranteed week contracts at Riviera, right? If I were to buy, a guaranteed week would more appealing. A guaranteed week may have the potential to hold its value for resale better since you wouldn't buy that contract to stay at another resort. That being said, it's still less flexibility than you have with the existing resorts and there are other issues that make me hesitant about Riviera (like the high dues and unknown point charts)

Anyone think that CCV closes and then shortly after a big announcement comes out for plans of the DVC 2 line-up of resorts, of which Riviera resales will work for all future DVC 2 resorts.

Anyone think that CCV closes and then shortly after a big announcement comes out for plans of the DVC 2 line-up of resorts, of which Riviera resales will work for all future DVC 2 resorts.
HA. I see no benefit to that for Disney.

Then this morning I got a call from a DVC salesperson who wanted to verify I was interested in presale information of Riviera and transferred me to my guide to officially confirm.
Seems like overkill, just release the information already.

I got that call yesterday and was connected to my guide as well. He said the sales information should be released in about 2 to 3 weeks.

I was just looking at some information on the DVC news website showing the different room configurations. I was surprised to see that they listed the two room types as:

Standard: Parking Lot
Preferred: Garden, Pool, Water

I guess I always thought the preferred views were the ones that got a view of the fireworks/theme parks. If all preferred view is get you a look at the noisy pool and the CBR lake, that's another stroke against the resort. (And I admit - this may not be Disney putting the view description on here. I couldn't find the view descriptions on the Disney website.

I have owned the points I've wanted to own since I bought in 15 years ago at BWV. If BLV or the Poly weren't enough to tempt me. I can't imagine being attracted to Riviera. But I stopped in my personal decision flowchart long before any new restrictions, point charts, or sales price.

I keep checking back to this poll (since I started it) and it's curious to see that people continue to make choices, but the ratios remain about the same as there were when there were only about 100 votes - currently at 238 votes.

I keep checking back to this poll (since I started it) and it's curious to see that people continue to make choices, but the ratios remain about the same as there were when there were only about 100 votes - currently at 238 votes.
It is a bit of a non-scientific poll since I would say the vast majority of people buying into Riviera will be those who are currently not even familiar with DVC and will be captured at the time of the sales pitch during the tour - but point taken.

I am a little surprised that Disney's changes to DVC and especially DVC resale have been on the order of "the beatings will continue until morale improves". after all, the best sales people for DVC are the current DVC owners. If you want people to buy at Riviera, make THAT an experience we all want - plus it up for God's sake! Don't strip the contract of any resale value. What your poll has proven is that if they want any free publicity for Riviera, it sure as heck won't be coming from the current DVC owners!

I am a little surprised that Disney's changes to DVC and especially DVC resale have been on the order of "the beatings will continue until morale improves". after all, the best sales people for DVC are the current DVC owners. If you want people to buy at Riviera, make THAT an experience we all want - plus it up for God's sake! Don't strip the contract of any resale value. What your poll has proven is that if they want any free publicity for Riviera, it sure as heck won't be coming from the current DVC owners!

I agree. I'm sure they have the data though - data that shows that resale is a drag on their sales. It's a bit of a strange approach for your most "loyal" guests - but as it's always been said. The biggest cash cow for Disney is the "once in a lifetime" tripper - they spend FAR MORE per capita than those of us planning to go yearly (or more).

To be honest, I bought resale because the direct perks weren't all that great. I lose access to the Epcot lounge and lose a discount on an annual pass I'm not going to buy, maybe some special events I won't be able to attend - pardon me while I try to recover from the blow. Just spit-balling; What about if they gave every guest in the party 3 additional fastpasses for each day booked on direct points (like the ones you get when you do the tour)? That costs them nothing, and that would get my attention. Stripping the resale contract by restricting its use to just that resort? I'm out - WAY out.

To be honest, I bought resale because the direct perks weren't all that great. I lose access to the Epcot lounge and lose a discount on an annual pass I'm not going to buy, maybe some special events I won't be able to attend - pardon me while I try to recover from the blow. Just spit-balling; What about if they gave every guest in the party 3 additional fastpasses for each day booked on direct points (like the ones you get when you do the tour)? That costs them nothing, and that would get my attention. Stripping the resale contract by restricting its use to just that resort? I'm out - WAY out.
My suspicion is that the Parks Division doesn't want to do that. So DVC had to get creative with their methods. But I agree it would be better if they gave more direct perks you have to get other divisions/companies to agree, because all the divisions are doing well there really isn't a need to help each other out.

They don't want to give more perks. I'm surprised they've done the moonlight magic thing - I bet they won't last that long before they cut them. I'm with you that none of the perks were ever much of a deterrent. And I agree the new policy is a deterrent - but a deterrent all around. Now I won't buy resale, and I still won't buy direct.

I wonder how they'll determine if it's hurting direct sales. Probably won't...but I would love it if it did.

They don't want to give more perks. I'm surprised they've done the moonlight magic thing - I bet they won't last that long before they cut them. I'm with you that none of the perks were ever much of a deterrent. And I agree the new policy is a deterrent - but a deterrent all around. Now I won't buy resale, and I still won't buy direct.

I wonder how they'll determine if it's hurting direct sales. Probably won't...but I would love it if it did.
BTW - through this thread I found your availability tables for studios and 1BR's. Thanks for doing that! By any chance, did you ever do 2 br's too?

We were interested as a mid-30s couple whose favorite park is Epcot. We had considered BWV/BCV, but with the shorter length had some reservations. I was at least interested in checking it out, but the resales restriction turned me off. I know it's prudent to always assume contracts will plummet to zero and take any proceeds as a bonus (in other words, buy to stay, not to sell), but I like knowing there's still an exit strategy if it comes up someday.

We also have since stayed at BWV and decided we're totally fine with the shorter length because of how much we loved it. So we'll be picking up a resale BWV later this year instead.

BTW - through this thread I found your availability tables for studios and 1BR's. Thanks for doing that! By any chance, did you ever do 2 br's too?

@Bing Showei and I are working on the 2 bedroom tables. Another 4-5 months to finish. Generally it seems like 2-bedroom availability is a little worse than 1-bedrooms, except at SSR where 2-bedrooms may be more available, but won't know complete story until they are done.

I am interested in possibly purchasing at Riviera. Although the resale restrictions stink, I have been thinking of adding on. And since I already own a MK resort on the lake, and I really like the Riviera theming, and it's a nice long contract...I'm a "maybe".

With a resort themed to the Riviera, there are so many possibilities to bring in French and Italian culture and the beauty of the landscape (looking over the Mediterranean with boats and stars). What we are getting is a modified Marriott, Garden Inn or other moderate hotel chain passing itself off as a luxury. The theming of the rooms is not elegant nor French - it makes me sad to see the possibilities wasted. Having a restaurant with an Italian name does not make it Italian...All this coupled with the new rules...I’ll happily wait for the GFV resale contract i want when I am ready to buy more points!! This looks to me like a “tried to and couldn’t “...

Oh , and I’m a NO...

I agree. I'm sure they have the data though - data that shows that resale is a drag on their sales. It's a bit of a strange approach for your most "loyal" guests - but as it's always been said. The biggest cash cow for Disney is the "once in a lifetime" tripper - they spend FAR MORE per capita than those of us planning to go yearly (or more).

I wonder about this. People say this about dcl too, that the once in a lifetime guests are where the money is. I am a bit contrarian but it seems to me like it is just the opposite, that they make more money off of the regular guests in lots of different ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!