Point allocation question

fixerupper

Mouseketeer
Hi- I am trying to explain this clearly

I am making a second reservation in my next use year, but still hope to modify my current reservation which will give me back some points. The second reservation will use all of the remaining points from this use year(20), all of the points from next use year(21) and some from 22. If I later manage to modify the first reservation, how does that impact the returned points? Are they automatically applied to my next trip so that less are borrowed from 22? Do I have to bank them then cancel and rebook the second trip? Are they a loss? Since I am using the rest of my 20 and 21 points on this trip, I want the balance to end up in 22 one way or another so I don't lose those few points.

Normally once you’ve borrowed points you cannot unborrow them. How soon are you planning to modify your first reservation?
I ask because right now DVC is being lenient and letting owners unborrow points. No one knows when they’ll go back to normal rules though.

Nothing changes automatically. If you modify your first trip and it uses less points, you can modify the 2nd and it will pick up any banked points, or borrowed points you have and free up current UY points of the trip.

Once borrowed, they will stay in the reservation, no matter what happens with the first since they will always be used before current UY.

Borrowing is a final transaction. While there are currently temporary rules to put them back, I would not count on it.

The only way, even if thst is in place, to return those borrowed points would be a full on cancel of reservation 2.

For example, say the 2Nd trip uses 50 banked 2020, 100 2021 and borrowed 50 from 2022.

Now, the first trip gets modified and it frees you up say another 30 points When you modify the second trip, it will take any banked 2020 and borrowed 2022 points first, and then finish up with 2021.

Those you can now bank, So, basically, the borrowed points can’t go back, but you could end up with more 2021 points that can now be banked.

You can bank as long as you aren't past your banking deadline.

Now, the first trip gets modified and it frees you up say another 30 points When you modify the second trip, it will take any banked 2020 and borrowed 2022 points first, and then finish up with 2021.

Those you can now bank, So, basically, the borrowed points can’t go back, but you could end up with more 2021 points that can now be banked.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was asking.

Was looking to ask a similar question. With all the cancellations, etc, I'm trying to book my next stay between 7 and 10 months out as each trip has been cancelled. In 2020, I had weekend reservations in May, July, September, which of course were all cancelled. When the May one was cancelled, I booked a few days around Thanksgiving with the points. I had at least one night's worth of points that were '19 points that were allowed to be banked late due to cancellation that got moved, likely those ended up in one of the reservations I have for Feb or April '21.

I had to try to book May '21 before I knew whether or not my Nov '20 reservation would be cancelled by Disney (which it obviously has been); I wanted to use the current UY points and had to beat the 7 month mark because it is VGC. The reservation required 14 more points than what I had remaining in my 2020 UY without using my points from this Nov. At the time I made the reservation with the borrowed points, the MS said it wouldn't be a problem to unborrow and reallocate points from my Thanksgiving reservation once Disney cancelled it.
I called back after the reservation was cancelled (after the 7 month mark for the May reservation had passed), and the DVC MS person said they could not unborrow the points without cancelling the May reservation to apply the current UY points, because if they did, I'd lose my May reservation since it is a popular holiday weekend and there are likely non-VGC owners wait listed now that we are past 7 months and there's a VGC opening date.
Is the second MS person correct? Is there no way for me to unborrow those points without losing my reservation? Or should I call back and ask for another CM/lead? June UY on the contract that is affected if UY matters.

This is correct. The system always uses borrowed points before banked points. Unfortunately this means the only way to free up the borrowed points is to cancel at least part of the reservation (drop a day or two) to free them up so they can be unborrowed.

Was looking to ask a similar question. With all the cancellations, etc, I'm trying to book my next stay between 7 and 10 months out as each trip has been cancelled. In 2020, I had weekend reservations in May, July, September, which of course were all cancelled. When the May one was cancelled, I booked a few days around Thanksgiving with the points. I had at least one night's worth of points that were '19 points that were allowed to be banked late due to cancellation that got moved, likely those ended up in one of the reservations I have for Feb or April '21.

I had to try to book May '21 before I knew whether or not my Nov '20 reservation would be cancelled by Disney (which it obviously has been); I wanted to use the current UY points and had to beat the 7 month mark because it is VGC. The reservation required 14 more points than what I had remaining in my 2020 UY without using my points from this Nov. At the time I made the reservation with the borrowed points, the MS said it wouldn't be a problem to unborrow and reallocate points from my Thanksgiving reservation once Disney cancelled it.
I called back after the reservation was cancelled (after the 7 month mark for the May reservation had passed), and the DVC MS person said they could not unborrow the points without cancelling the May reservation to apply the current UY points, because if they did, I'd lose my May reservation since it is a popular holiday weekend and there are likely non-VGC owners wait listed now that we are past 7 months and there's a VGC opening date.
Is the second MS person correct? Is there no way for me to unborrow those points without losing my reservation? Or should I call back and ask for another CM/lead? June UY on the contract that is affected if UY matters.

That is correct. The only way to return borrowed points is if they are no longer in a reservation.

Points can only be reallocated when sitting in the account unused. Since borrowed and banked points are always used first for any reservation, its Always going to use those first before using current UY points for the time of the trip.

Basically, the only way to get them back is to cancel, have them return the points, and then book again...which sounds like you can’t do because there are no rooms.

It won’t even work to free up a day or two because the system will not free up the borrowed points, it will free up the current UY points you used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts