POFQ vs POR Royal Room

shannonstar

StarGirlJapp
Trying to make a decision between these 2. We like both POFQ and POR, so it comes down to theming and price. We have done POFQ and love it, but the Royal Rooms are very pretty. Any advice?

Go with the royal room. I thought the décor in the French quarter was just ok, nice , but...just ok. The royal rooms have so many nice touches.

POFQ is a much smaller resort---and often runs with its own bus compared to POR much of the year. Not sure when you are planning on going, but the Royal Rooms and Mansions are the only ones out of the Port Orleans that havent been updated/refurbed. Personally, I would choose POFQ over a Royal Room at POR, even though I am a big fan of POR and the grounds themselves.

Go with FQ at the end of a long day that much shorter walk will count for a lot.

My daughter loved the RR's. We figured we'd try them out while she was still young and really into princesses before she outgrew it.
The down side is that if you are at the back end of the rooms at Parterre Place, it's a bit of a walk to get to the main building and pool. You can alleviate this by booking a river view to ensure you don't get put in the back.
If you request to be in Oak Manor, and your request is granted, you are also closer to the East Depot (Don't use the South Depot. Ever.)
Another good thing about the RR's is that they are the closest to French Quarter, and it's no more than a 10 minute walk over there. And it's a beautiful walk at that.

We love both resorts. POFQ is a little easier to get around as stated before. However, the Oak Manor Royal guest rooms are very easy to the East Depot and right across a bridge to the resort center. The theming there is really nice. The food court at PO-FQ is a little better than PO-R. Check out Andre' Wiley's page at www.portorleans.org. He is a frequent poster here and his page is amazing in trying to help you with your decision.

If you have young kids (not just daughters...my sons thought the rooms were really 'upscale' when they were younger, lol), the RRs are great...we loved the decor and special touches, including making the fireworkds go off on the headboards, lol. As others have mentioned, river (or pool) view are in a good location, so go for that if it's in your budget. We loved our stay in the RRs and love POR overall.

However, if having a smaller resort (and the convenience that size makes with buses) is important to you, I'd go back to POFQ.

I find the food courts, gift shops, entertainment, access to boats to DS etc. to be equal at both...and they're a nice walk to the other, so if you love everything at POR but really want POFQ's beignets, for example, it's easy to get there. The only thing POR has over POFQ in regards to amenities is Boatwrights, and while I like it there, many find it merely ok.

Are you staying long enough to accommodate a split stay? The royal rooms are VERY Disney, with cute little touches throughout and I definitely recommend them for at least a night or two. After that? POFQ for all of the other amenities (smaller, etc.), UNLESS your family is also a quiet-pool family, then you could always do you split stay all at POR, just different areas.

We love both, but would choose FQ (hands down!) every single time. But, my daughters are older (16 and almost 19), so some of the 'magic' of the princess rooms are lost on them at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter