Podcast on Toy Story

abuck75

Mouseketeer
listening to the latest podcast I noticed a recurring objection that the land won’t have a strong all ages draw like RSR in cars land. I think that is a little unfair toward TSMM. This ride is still most often the second ride to run out of FPS at DCA and experienced the longest waits at WDW for several years.

I understand this isn’t a new attraction, but it would seem the three toy story land attractions are actually pretty similar in overall quality to Cars.

Yeah, I also see people thinking “good for all ages” means that adults find it thrilling as well as kids being able to ride. I think Slinky Dog will be a lot of fun for families to ride together and agree with you about TSMM

If anything the biggest issue I have is both new rides have a height restriction meaning real little kids can only ride TSMM

I agree with the Dis team on this one. There is nothing appealing to adults here imo. It's all geared towards kids. I would have liked to have seen more variety. I will see this in August, but so far I am unimpressed.

I agree on the beer, but think TSMM is one of the 5 most popular all ages rides in the parks. To say it doesn’t have an all ages headliner is blind, IMO.

I largely agree that this land will really only appeal to small children. Being WDW, I am okay with an occasional land which does not cater to adults. Especially since so much else in the works absolutely appeals to everyone, or may be geared toward adults (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster, Tron, Star War's: Galaxy's Edge, ect.)

I am wondering how much of the popularity of TSMM is due to the fact that so little else is open in Studios. It's a wonderful attraction!

Maybe I'm wrong but from the videos I've watched...I think they could have done even more to make TSL more immersive. I really like Shanghai DL version of TSL (watched Youtube video). I really was hoping for Pizza Planet and Al's Toy Barn. I'm still excited to see it but I don't expect it to WOW me.

I largely agree that this land will really only appeal to small children. Being WDW, I am okay with an occasional land which does not cater to adults. Especially since so much else in the works absolutely appeals to everyone, or may be geared toward adults (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy Coaster, Tron, Star War's: Galaxy's Edge, ect.)

I am wondering how much of the popularity of TSMM is due to the fact that so little else is open in Studios. It's a wonderful attraction!

I still wonder why people feel this appeals only to small children ... just because it is based on Toys? Both of the new rides have height requirements so if anything it is *not* for really small children. Do people see things like Peter Pan and Small World and Ariel's Ride just for small kids? I see all those (and the TSL rides) as aimed at families and things the entire family can do together, which was the whole original premise of Disneyland

I think the popularity of TSMM is because even when more was open, it was really the only major attraction that didn't have a height restriction and the entire family could do

I still wonder why people feel this appeals only to small children ... just because it is based on Toys? Both of the new rides have height requirements so if anything it is *not* for really small children. Do people see things like Peter Pan and Small World and Ariel's Ride just for small kids? I see all those (and the TSL rides) as aimed at families and things the entire family can do together, which was the whole original premise of Disneyland

I think the popularity of TSMM is because even when more was open, it was really the only major attraction that didn't have a height restriction and the entire family could do

I understand your perspective. I'll have to see for myself in August, but I think it is the Toy Story theme. I think looking at the advertising I think 'its for kids', but that's admittedly a somewhat shallow view.

Hopefully when I see it for myself, my mind will change!

I understand your perspective. I'll have to see for myself in August, but I think it is the Toy Story theme. I think looking at the advertising I think 'its for kids', but that's admittedly a somewhat shallow view.

Hopefully when I see it for myself, my mind will change!

I will also say, that after seeing Toy Story 3 and connecting with Andy and having to give up his toys and "grow up" it made the whole series a bit less "Kiddie" to me so maybe why I associate the property as more of a "everybody" theme vs a "kiddie" theme

I will also say, that after seeing Toy Story 3 and connecting with Andy and having to give up his toys and "grow up" it made the whole series a bit less "Kiddie" to me so maybe why I associate the property as more of a "everybody" theme vs a "kiddie" theme

As of now I have not seen it and will need to ensure I do. With that story line in mind I'm sure my perspective would change.

If it has no draw for adults, then why are so many adults excited about it.
The reality is that these attractions draw in different age groups for different reasons.

For me it has nothing to do with the theme. I am a 90's baby which means I would be the original target audience for this genre. My issue is that they are opening 3 "kiddy-like" rides in 1 land. Sure, you have the Slinky dog coaster. But then you also have the Alien ride, which screams more kid-like imo. I liked Charle's comparison to Cars Land. Cars Land introduced the racing ride which is thrilling enough for adults. The slinky coaster does not seem to be (I will be the judge in August). I would have liked to have seen at least 1 thrilling ride for older children & adults. Overall, I am disappointed in the direction Disney took. I agree with another post that says there should be more interactive stuff such as Pizza Planet. It just feels like the Imagineers half-assed this in order to alleviate crowd tension.

Half -assed due to budget cuts?? Or lack of space. Out of 3 trips I still have yet to spend an ENTIRE day at HS. If TSL had more to do, I could probably spend a whole day at HS. After all, isn't that what Disney is after??

For me it has nothing to do with the theme. I am a 90's baby which means I would be the original target audience for this genre. My issue is that they are opening 3 "kiddy-like" rides in 1 land. Sure, you have the Slinky dog coaster. But then you also have the Alien ride, which screams more kid-like imo. I liked Charle's comparison to Cars Land. Cars Land introduced the racing ride which is thrilling enough for adults. The slinky coaster does not seem to be (I will be the judge in August). I would have liked to have seen at least 1 thrilling ride for older children & adults. Overall, I am disappointed in the direction Disney took. I agree with another post that says there should be more interactive stuff such as Pizza Planet. It just feels like the Imagineers half-assed this in order to alleviate crowd tension.

I guess it just depends on a definition of thrilling and for whom. To be honest, I was disappointed in Radiator Springs Racers in that my son, who was super into Cars, was too short to ride, so he missed out on the "best" ride in the area (that was something I found to be common in DCA in general and why I really didn't like the park)

I think what separates Disney from other theme parks is that a lot of the best rides can be enjoyed by the entire family - not only "Older kids and adults" - but maybe that is just me as my favorite rides are Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, TSMM, etc.

I do think we also need to keep in mind this is 1 of 2 lands coming in the next 18 months or so and the other new land will have pretty significant height restrictions for both rides (I believe at least) so if 1/3 or this land was off limits to a lot of kids, that is a lot of the new building that is not for them

Half -assed due to budget cuts?? Or lack of space. Out of 3 trips I still have yet to spend an ENTIRE day at HS. If TSL had more to do, I could probably spend a whole day at HS. After all, isn't that what Disney is after??

I think once Star Wars land is complete, it might, just might be a full day park. My family still believes AK is a half day park even with Pandora, so we will see.

It's weird as our last trip (which, admittedly was before Great Movie Ride closed) we spent an entire day there and didn't get to everything. We didn't do either show, didn't ride Rock N roller Coaster and still filled up an entire day

It's really a shame because as a teenager I LOVED MGM Studios. It was an absolute wonderland and my favorite park to visit (I'm probably in a tiny minority at best).

Right now its maybe a three hour park, and with the addition of TSL, Starwar's Galaxy's Edge, and Mickey and Minnie Railway hopefully it will spring back to life!

I guess it just depends on a definition of thrilling and for whom. To be honest, I was disappointed in Radiator Springs Racers in that my son, who was super into Cars, was too short to ride, so he missed out on the "best" ride in the area (that was something I found to be common in DCA in general and why I really didn't like the park)

I think what separates Disney from other theme parks is that a lot of the best rides can be enjoyed by the entire family - not only "Older kids and adults" - but maybe that is just me as my favorite rides are Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, TSMM, etc.

I do think we also need to keep in mind this is 1 of 2 lands coming in the next 18 months or so and the other new land will have pretty significant height restrictions for both rides (I believe at least) so if 1/3 or this land was off limits to a lot of kids, that is a lot of the new building that is not for them

I understand; However, height restriction shouldn't be sacrificed for originality/entertainment within attractions. I understand that is objective, but I think we can all agree Haunted Mansion is a fun, original ride that has ZERO height restrictions. Also, don't forget we all grow up eventually so rides that would appeal to everyone (entertainment wise--not height restriction wise) would be more fruitful for Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!