Please tell me about Las Vegas Dec. weather?

riu girl

DIS Veteran
We are considering Las Vegas vs. Florida for our annual Decmber trip but checked www.weather.com and it states that average temp. in Dec is only 37-57 F.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this is the case? We will have the kids with us, will be staying for about two weeks (Vegas/California) and really need a break form cold Ontario temperatures. The kids love spending hours per day in resort pools and really will have to re-think this itinerary if it really is 37-57 in Dec.

Any info. would be really appreciated since this part of the US is completely new to me.

Thank you

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I remember seeing someone's vegas trip pics from either Dec or Jan before and there was snow.

Kimya

It can get very cold in Vegas in December. I remember walking the kids to school last Dec, and it was only in the 40's in the morning.
It can snow but that's usually in the mountains or Red Rock area. Very rarely would that happen on the Strip.

As for swimming, even if the weather was warm, many of the resorts close their pools for the winter time. They figure since it chilly out, they'd rather have the guests inside gambling so call whatever resort you were thinking of staying at to find out if they are one that closes their pools.

Never been in Dec, but usually go in January- and weather is unpreditable, we have been there when it's been 70-75, and then we have been there same week next year and it's 20-30!! Forget the pools, they are closed for the winter months anyway, all I can say is dress in layers, so you can go either way, forget about the averages, when the sun is out it's warm, but it can snow!

We were there a few years ago for DNiece's 21st birthday (2003) and we passed snow on the ground in the desert and it snowed, in Vegas, one day. We were there around Dec. 28th.

The desert can get very cold.

Don't know if this helps, but I go in December every year. I have a faux fur jacket that I bring (since I'm starting in Massachusetts, and it's collllllld here in December!), and most days, I find that jacket is comfortable/necessary in Las Vegas. Also, the lower end of that temp range is, yes, likely at night.

Don't expect to swim in a hotel pool in Vegas in December; it's just too cold and most hotels close their pools from Oct - March. Bring a coat and dress in layers. Yes it's the desert but it gets cold here in the winter.

I've lived here 11 years and it's snowed about 3 times, always in Dec or Jan.

Yeah, I keep hoping.... I mean, not that I want snow, but I visit around Christmas every year and it would be so cool (no pun intended) to see snow closer than the mountains...

It doesn't snow a lot. Usually just for a few hours and it's usually very light. Temps can be in the 30's at night easily.

It can be cold and windy. If you want warm... head as far south as you can!

Today, Dec 17 it is snowing in Las Vegas!!!!

:rotfl: :confused3 :eek:

Noooooooooo! Why couldn't it wait until Friday to snow???????
You wouldn't have liked it. The airport was closed and traffic was a mess. It took me 45 minutes to get from my work to The Mirage, a trip that normally would take 10 - 15 minutes . . . we saw a dress rehearsal of LOVE that was AWESOME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter