Please Read- New Signature Rules

W

WebmasterAlex

Our signature rules were written a few years ago. Back then a lot of our posters used dial up connections and the VBulletin software did not have the functionality it does now.
The old rules were difficult to understand and they took a lot of moderator time to enforce. We have developed all new rules that should be much simpler and much easier to enforce automatically.

1. Your signature will be limited in length. The program will do this
automatically and anything over the allowed length will be cut off

Explanation- the biggest complaint we recieve is that signatures are too long and it takes too long to scroll through threads. We are going to start with a height of 250 pixels, you'll see what that means when we roll this out. We may add an additional option so that a signature only appears once per page.

2. You will be limited to a total of 25 images and smilies The program
will handle this automatically

Explanation- That should be PLENTY considering the amount of space

3. All content and links must meet DIS board posting guidelines.
Signature have the same content rules as any post on the boards

Explanation- Pretty obvious I hope, this includes commercial link, links to innapropriate sites, etc etc

4. You may not have a signature that is so wide it causes the page to
expand

Explanation- This is something the software can't control. Basically the only way to do this is to have a really really wide picture. If your signature means people with a normal resolution monitor need to scroll from side to side you'll be told to remove the picture causing the issue

5. We reserve the right to remove or modify signatures that cause
issues with the boards or slow page loading. Please make sure any images in
your signature are hosted on a reliable site. Any signature that contains
malicious or harmful code will be removed immediately and the poster
sanctioned

Explanation- Most of this should be pretty obvious. One thing people might not realize is that when people complain about the boards being "slow" it may not be us at all. When the boards load a page, if it can't find an image, it can make the boards appear slow.

We will roll this out in a few days, probably Wednesday. You don't need to take any action now, but you probably will want to check your signature after this goes into effect to see how it was affected.
If you have any questions on this please post on this thread on the tech support board, I will monitor those.

The Webmasters believe that these new, simplified rules will make the boards a better place for our posters and moderators.
Thank you for being a DIS boards member!

Alex

expand

Explanation- This is something the software can't control. Basically the only way to do this is to have a really really wide picture. If your signature means people with a normal resolution monitor need to scroll from side to side you'll be told to remove the picture causing the issue

Recommendation 1: Please set a max number of pixels for signature image width. Because of the proliferation of large monitors, and especially wide-aspect LCD monitors, there is no such thing any more as "normal" width. Everybody has their own idea of what constitutes "normal", so it would be better if you quantify an actual max number of pixels.

Recommendation 2: I see no mention of image file size in KB. This was a major stumbling block in the old guidelines, as all image files combined could not exceed 50kb.

Will-

As for the width, we want to see if we have a big problem with this before enforcing a specific width. We won't be able to use the software to set the width yet (but there's an enhancement coming that should allow us to in the near future.) We're trying to get away from issues like this that we'd have to manually enforce, and that other posters spend time reporting and moderators spend time checking out, explaining and fixing. So we've decided to put this on our "wait and see if it needs to be addressed" list.

As far as the file size, the rules were written when there were many more users on dial up connections. We're not going to police file size any longer. The one caveat is that images that impact board performance due to slow or unreliable loading will be removed.

We're trying to get away from the technical rules enforcement and let the software take care of it. :)

I know this isn't about signatures, but it pertains to the idea of file size- will anything be done about the limit on avatars? The 4000 byte limit is pretty annoying; I could do so much more with a higher maximum.

TIA

I'm a bit confused on this one as would it not directly effect Rule 1.

expand

Take my Reworked Sig I have 4 lines of text (on my Monitor 19"WS )for my past trips. I guess technically thats 1 single line ,but indexes to fit making it 4 lines.

At this I think I'm under the 250 pixals of Rule 1 but if I have a 15" or the monitor set to portate and those 3 lines become 6 would that not increase the total Pixals and put me over.

Any thoughts would be great as I do run right up to the rules but try real hard to stay under them as well as help others with theirs.

I'm a bit confused on this one as would it not directly effect Rule 1.

expand

Take my Reworked Sig I have 4 lines of text (on my Monitor 19"WS )for my past trips. I guess technically thats 1 single line ,but indexes to fit making it 4 lines.

At this I think I'm under the 250 pixals of Rule 1 but if I have a 15" or the monitor set to portate and those 3 lines become 6 would that not increase the total Pixals and put me over.

Any thoughts would be great as I do run right up to the rules but try real hard to stay under them as well as help others with theirs.

Would that not be specified within your signature profile? ie your font sizes within.

I dont understand the pixel thing.
Please check my signature.

The maximum signature width is being set at 600 pixels at this time, and the 250 pixel height as mentioned.

This means your entire signature must take up no more space than this box...

siggie.jpg

Hope that helps.

Since the appearance of the box will be different on everyone's monitors, setting it to a pixel dimension is the only way to do it.

If anyone wants to check, they can take a ruler to their monitor and measure the box, then measure their signature. That'll give a good indication as to whether your signature will meet the new guideline.

PurpleParrot, your signature is about 550 pixels high. The limit is going to be 250. You'll have to get your signature down to less than half of it's current vertical size. You've got a lot of wasted space horizontally where you can put things.

2. You will be limited to a total of 25 images and smilies The program will handle this automatically

Explanation- That should be PLENTY considering the amount of space
So I can add another ticker to my sig? Before we were limited to 3 images.

Thanks!

The maximum signature width is being set at 600 pixels at this time, and the 250 pixel height as mentioned.

This means your entire signature must take up no more space than this box...

siggie.jpg

DisSig.jpg

Hope that helps.

Since the appearance of the box will be different on everyone's monitors, setting it to a pixel dimension is the only way to do it.

If anyone wants to check, they can take a ruler to their monitor and measure the box, then measure their signature. That'll give a good indication as to whether your signature will meet the new guideline.

PurpleParrot, your signature is about 550 pixels high. The limit is going to be 250. You'll have to get your signature down to less than half of it's current vertical size. You've got a lot of wasted space horizontally where you can put things.

trying

Okay, I can be a complete dunce when it comes to techie stuff (and signature lines are techie stuff to me!!!). So, is it your entire signature, including ticker countdowns as well as photos that have to fit in the green box? pyrxtc and I are having a discussion as to what is considered to fit. I think there is some confusion....does that 600x250 cover the whole shebang or just photos? I may just put my second countdown back!!

Goofy4Tink the way I read it is the Entire thing has to fit in. #1 states your Signature not just you images.

Hope this helps it will be fun to try to keep them under and not having them get cut off by the software.

That was/is my assumption as well. We'll see how it all shakes out when everything is corrected automatically.

Hi I wanted to add a picture (or clip art) something to my signature-but since the new rules are iin place I am a little confused...I would be willing to put anything on. Thanks !

Question! How do I add a hyperlink to my signature? Or add a link that says "Website" instead of "the url"

At the bottom of this page, on the left side, you'll see a link that says "vB code is ON"

Click on that link to see all the vB codes, and then go down the list to find hyperlinks. There are examples there.

I need help, I would like to have a signature picture when we post showing SSR and BWV but have not been able to figure this out where can I get the pictures or link? Is there somewhere that has instructions on what to do?
Thanks in advance :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!