Please I need some Help which trip would you do?

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
So first off .... Thanks for any help, info or suggestions...

We are just in the beginning of planning for next year we have been pretty solid on visiting Disney Shanghai and Hong Kong... Now some friends that went to Disneyland Tokyo and touring Japan have shown us the pictures... amazing...

So now the confusion has us wiggling about what to do...

1) Touring - Japan and Tokyo Disneyland,

2) Touring - Hong Kong - HK Disneyland and then Japan and Tokyo Disneyland...

3) Touring China - Shanghai and Shanghai Disneyland, then to Hong Kong and Hong Kong Disneyland...

Japan as a country is a fantastic destination. You can't go wrong with Japan + Tokyo Disney.

One thing you may consider is expansions.

Hong Kong:
New Castle: 2020
Frozen Land: 2020/2021
Marvel Land: 2023

Tokyo:
Beauty and the Beast ride: Spring 2020
Fantasyland Forest Theater: Spring 2020
Baymax ride: Spring 2020
Frozen/Tangled/Peter Pan area in DisneySea: 2022

Shanghai:
Zootopia: ???

If your trip is after Spring 2020, Tokyo Disney would be perfect and you can save Hong Kong / Shanghai for a later date after their expansions have been completed

Japan as a country is a fantastic destination. You can't go wrong with Japan + Tokyo Disney.

One thing you may consider is expansions.

Hong Kong:
New Castle: 2020
Frozen Land: 2020/2021
Marvel Land: 2023

Tokyo:
Beauty and the Beast ride: Spring 2020
Fantasyland Forest Theater: Spring 2020
Baymax ride: Spring 2020
Frozen/Tangled/Peter Pan area in DisneySea: 2022

Shanghai:
Zootopia: ???

If your trip is after Spring 2020, Tokyo Disney would be perfect and you can save Hong Kong / Shanghai for a later date after their expansions have been completed

OP here:

Many thanks for the info...

We are looking at very late April - or early May 2020 which works for DH's job, and also our Anniversary is during that time frame... Do you think that the 2020 rides will be ready by this time..?

No specific date has been announced but if you're a Disney fan, all three are worth visiting and regardless of the expansions, you'll have a good time in all of them.

My vote is for Japan and Tokyo Disney but I'm a little biased because I lived in Japan for a few years. There are trip reports on all three locations that you should read to help make your decision.

Tokyo Disney is the best Disney resort in the world, no contest, and Japan is an amazing country. You can't go wrong with that option.

Hong Kong Disneyland is super easy to do as an add-on if you want to hit two resorts on one trip.

I wouldn't choose Shanghai or Mainland China if you are a first-time international traveler. Mainland China is always a little more complicated than Hong Kong or Japan in my experience.

Will you plan to visit the other locations eventually, or is this a once in a lifetime Asia trip?

We are visiting Tokyo Disney last since it's given such high billing as the best... saving the best for last. :)

For me the real question would be, what are you interested in seeing and doing outside of Disney in each country? - I'd think that would provide more variables than the parks themselves which do have many of the same experiences.

Also be aware that the Olympics are in Tokyo in 2020. Pro: everything will be spruced up for your visit. Con: it's likely to be busier than normal.

Hong Kong is fairly warm and humid in early May, but Tokyo Disney is very crowded due to Golden Week. I'd recommend Japan, but only if you can schedule your trip so that it is before or after Golden Week.

My vote is for Japan and Tokyo Disney but I'm a little biased because I lived in Japan for a few years. There are trip reports on all three locations that you should read to help make your decision.

That would be great!!!

Will you plan to visit the other locations eventually, or is this a once in a lifetime Asia trip?

We are visiting Tokyo Disney last since it's given such high billing as the best... saving the best for last. :)

For me the real question would be, what are you interested in seeing and doing outside of Disney in each country? - I'd think that would provide more variables than the parks themselves which do have many of the same experiences.

Also be aware that the Olympics are in Tokyo in 2020. Pro: everything will be spruced up for your visit. Con: it's likely to be busier than normal.

OP here

We are interested in just seeing everything... Each country has so much to see and offer and we love to soak up the culture, history, food, so we really would be okay with where ever... We are just beginning our quest to become citizens of the world... We will plan to return to Asia... with DH's work this trip will be a better fit for where we are right now in our life...

The Olympics are in late July 2020 so we will miss the actual games by several months...

We did find out about Golden Week which is April 29 through May 5th of 2020.. apparently it is a week of national holidays and celebrations... so we will be adjusting for this... and looking at either mid April or mid May... Our friends that went during Golden Week said that they did not know until they arrived that it was a national holiday week, the arrived for the last few days of the festivities.. she compared it to Christmas Week crowds at WDW...

Tokyo Disneyland is the best Disney in the world hands down plus Tokyo is an absolute awesome city. I'd definitely start there.

I would so appreciate any tips, suggestions, or thoughts you have on where to go, do, see or really just anything you would like to share... Thanks so much

What to do in Tokyo? I'd suggest doing a search for top 10 things to do in Tokyo, read a few articles, and decide what things are most interesting to you. Are you a foodie? Do you want to see various shopping districts? Gardens? I like history, so really enjoyed the Edo-Tokyo museum. You might want to plan a day trip out to see Fuji. Our first trip we did an overnight trip to Kyoto (which was too short) and day trips out to Yokohama (mainly did the cup noodles museum) and Matsamoto.

I would so appreciate any tips, suggestions, or thoughts you have on where to go, do, see or really just anything you would like to share... Thanks so much
What's your email address? I can message you my itinerary. For starters I'd recommend basing yourself in Shinjuku / Shibuya. We have an Airbnb in Okubu and it was wonderful. Get a portable wifi it'll make using Google maps less of a struggle! You won't need to speak Japanese but a tiny bit (Hello/Thank You/ 2 beers please) is very well received!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!