Please help -Young Teens at Aulani...too old for Aunty's - too young for adult/older teen activities

Did anyone in your family not meet the weight requirement? I have a 9.5 year old that won't weigh enough to go by themselves so the website said they will go with a guide (or a sibling but that would never fly with the older sibling haha)

My youngest DD was under the weight limit so we were prepared for her to have to go with someone else but it wasn't necessary. It depends on the wind conditions when you're there. The issue is they don't want them to get "stuck" and not make it to the end of the line if there there is too much wind. Half of the guides zip down first and assess the conditions on each line. Then they instruct each rider based on their size if they need to "ball up" or not. It was not very windy when we were there but they did have my DD7 ball up a few times or sometimes told her to ball up part way down the line.

My youngest DD was under the weight limit so we were prepared for her to have to go with someone else but it wasn't necessary. It depends on the wind conditions when you're there. The issue is they don't want them to get "stuck" and not make it to the end of the line if there there is too much wind. Half of the guides zip down first and assess the conditions on each line. Then they instruct each rider based on their size if they need to "ball up" or not. It was not very windy when we were there but they did have my DD7 ball up a few times or sometimes told her to ball up part way down the line.
Awesome thank you!! I appreciate the information!

Yes . . my kids are small for the age. They have been paired with each other, a friend and a guide on trips. they were thrilled when they could go alone!

My kid got stuck even when paired . . . in the rain over a high ravine. He was not happy. But he finished the lines that year and went back another year. Its a distinct possibility to be prepared for. Even with the instruction the winds can shift and people get stuck.

My two super light (need dive weights not to float away) girls got stuck 3 times total (out of 20 runs between the two of them). The guides retrieved them. I had read that this was liable to upset the other in your group because of mild delays but we had lucked out with a nice gang and they took it in stride.

Independent of stated policy, in practice, they tried to let the girls go alone as much as possible. ClimbWorks is the best. Safe, professional, but also easy going Hawaiian style. Your kids will love it. Your abs may ache the next day.

Great info thanks!!! Planning our July trip with 14 yo daughter so very grateful for any teen info!

Did you all do the unlimited rainbow reef option for your teens or was it more of a one-and-done thing for them given their age?

Thank you ALL for your thoughtful replies. We are just a bit over 30 days out and I am eagerly reading all your suggestions!
Our visit to Aulani last year was when DD was age 10.5. She did a couple things at Auntys but really didn't want to be stuck with the little kids. The Rainbow Reef is great for getting your feet wet (pun intended) if you have any nervous or first-time snorkelers. We walked over to the beach at Paradise Cove and snorkeled there. We were amazed at how well DD did. Rainbow Reef wasn't so exciting for her after conquering the ocean.:fish:
We did nearly every free activity the resort had - it was too cold/rainy our first few days for the beach and swimming, so we packed in other things to do, like Menehune Trail, Firepit Storytelling, Movie Night, Ukulele lessons, fancy hairdo at the salon, some arts & crafts I'm forgetting... We went offsite to do some hiking, a luau, another beach, walk around the North Shore, and Waimea Valley. She liked exploring the North Shore, but I'm not sure DD would choose to repeat any of the other offsite activities we did. :P We did ziplining while we were on the Big Island, and that was a huge hit.

Great info thanks!!! Planning our July trip with 14 yo daughter so very grateful for any teen info!
I'll be there with my twin 13 year olds in a few weeks- let me know if you want me to investigate something in particular, otherwise I will report back :)

My two super light (need dive weights not to float away) girls got stuck 3 times total (out of 20 runs between the two of them). The guides retrieved them. I had read that this was liable to upset the other in your group because of mild delays but we had lucked out with a nice gang and they took it in stride.

Independent of stated policy, in practice, they tried to let the girls go alone as much as possible. ClimbWorks is the best. Safe, professional, but also easy going Hawaiian style. Your kids will love it. Your abs may ache the next day.

How long should I allocate for Climbworks? All day? Half day? 2 Hours?

How long should I allocate for Climbworks? All day? Half day? 2 Hours?

We did ClimbWorks on a Friday. Booked for 9am but you are supposed to be there 30 min early. We left Aulani around 7:15am and got there in plenty of time. We finished at ClimbWorks a little after 11am. Giovanni's shrimp truck is basically right across the street so we went there for lunch right after, then drove through Haleiwa on the way back and stopped at Matsumotos for shave ice and the Ukelele Site (for DD13 to buy one). We were back at Aulani by 2:30ish to get ready for a family photo shoot.

So the course itself takes a bit under 3 hours with check in and everything. But its a good opportunity to do some additional North Shore sightseeing or other activities. We would have done a couple more things if we didn't have to get back to get ready for family photos.

A few more questions about Climbworks:
1. We are headed there on a Saturday morning. Roughly how long should I expect the drive to take?
2. The no phones/camera rule. How did you handle this? We have a rugged outdoor camera with a strap so I am assuming we can take that with us.
3. What if we need asthma inhalers, kleenex (a few in the family are highly allergic to the outdoors lol)...take shorts with lots of zippered pockets??

Any info is appreciated.

1. I don't remember the drive . . I'll try to remember to ask my husband and get back to you .
2. I took a camera on a strap around my neck. Other people had cameras in neck lanyards or zipped pockets. You have to be prepared to lose things. if it drops, you won't get it back. And at the end, they ask if you want to go upside down.
3. Yes, I would wear something with a tight closure (see number 2) and you should be fine. My husband wore cargo shorts.

Did I already suggest you have a change of shoes/clothes in the car, and a plastic bag? Maybe we've been unlucky, but we've been rained on 2 of our 3 trips. and our shoes always got very muddy. We were happy to have a change available. no valuables in the car. there have definitely been thefts in the area.

Have fun!

1. I don't remember the drive . . I'll try to remember to ask my husband and get back to you .
2. I took a camera on a strap around my neck. Other people had cameras in neck lanyards or zipped pockets. You have to be prepared to lose things. if it drops, you won't get it back. And at the end, they ask if you want to go upside down.
3. Yes, I would wear something with a tight closure (see number 2) and you should be fine. My husband wore cargo shorts.

Did I already suggest you have a change of shoes/clothes in the car, and a plastic bag? Maybe we've been unlucky, but we've been rained on 2 of our 3 trips. and our shoes always got very muddy. We were happy to have a change available. no valuables in the car. there have definitely been thefts in the area.

Have fun!
Thank you! I just ordered shorts with 2 zip pockets so I can take Kleenex, an inhaler, and eye drops. The change of clothes and shoes is a GREAT tip!

Did you buy any of their photos? I am planning on taking our rugged camera but not our cell phones.

Thank you! I just ordered shorts with 2 zip pockets so I can take Kleenex, an inhaler, and eye drops. The change of clothes and shoes is a GREAT tip!

Did you buy any of their photos? I am planning on taking our rugged camera but not our cell phones.
Yes - we’ve bought the photos every time and there have been good ones. I believe you can preview before buying to decide. I am obsessed with photos so I might not be the best judge. But we’ve had some great shots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!