Please help -Young Teens at Aulani...too old for Aunty's - too young for adult/older teen activities

TwinMommyDec05

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone-
So I am taking my 13-year-old twin daughters to Aulani in March and it is our first visit. Trying to figure out some of the best activities for them. They are too old for Aunty's now. There is a "tween and teen" section of the website but it seems to cater mostly to tweens with Aunty's sign-up activities.

So here are my questions-

1. It doesn't look like I can pre-register them for anything since they have aged out of Aunty's, right?

2. What did your young teens like to do at the hotel specifically? Yes, pool and beach, what else? I dont want to plan our days only to find out that we "should've known that teens like to do xyz and it is only offered on this one day"

3. Is Kualoa ranch an all-day activity? Looks like you could spend all-day (and a small fortune there)

4. Best Zip-lining according to what I read here seems to be Climb Works at Keane Farms? Agree or Disagree?

5. Any other Must-Do's with young teens on the island. (Thinking Kualoa Ranch, Luau at hotel, Zip lining somewhere, Dole Plantation, Hanauma Bay and Pearl Harbor but we only have 7 full days so this might be overly ambitious)

6. EDITED TO ADD: My daughters want to see sea turtles. Bonus points for swimming with sea turtles. We will have a rental car to drive to beaches where this might be possible!

Mahalo everyone! Hoping for a magical experience with them before they are "too cool" to hang out with me anymore :) Open to and eager for suggestions. I can plan WDW vacation blindfolded with one hand behind my back so I am feeling like a fish out-of-water planning this one. HELP PLEASE!!

Last edited:
I did the zipline at Kualoa ranch and found it to be lacking . I think the climbworks one sounds like more fun . We will be doing it in June. I would do the ATV adventure 2 hours at Kualoa as that was a blast and something I'm sure they would love. Pearl Harbor would be great as well. I've been three times and still haven't seen it all. Not a fan of Luau's so wouldn't plan that for our group . Polynesian cultural center for older teens might be very enjoyable. Dole Plantation is okay but not a must do. Teenagers might love the shopping in Waikiki so might want to schedule some time for that.

At Aulani-

I would make time for them to do the Menehune Adventure Trail at the resort. My kids are young at heart older teens and they loved it. It is similar to the Epcot Agent P interactive thing in World Showcase. There are a few options as well so it isnt the same every time. It doesnt take long but it is great option to switch things up if they are starting to loose interest in swimming and the beach https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/menehune-adventure-trail/

We really enjoyed the firepit storytelling with Uncle, located between the pools and the beach (easy to find)
It isnt long but we went almost every night even though the story doesnt change too much. We went the second time to see if it was different and then we just kept going LOL
https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/moolelo-fireside-storytelling/

the last time we went we went to the movie on the lawn night. It doesnt happen every night and the movies are not exactly A list but we really really enjoyed this. I bought some hot chocolate and it was so cool to be outside with the trade winds rustling the palm fronds and the start above as we watched. If you check the online schedule for dates closer to your time I think they only go out about two weeks ahead of time
https://www.disneyaulani.com/activities/ohana-disney-movie-nights/iwa/2019/02/04/

You can also check the "Daily Iwa" to see what is happening while you are there. There are things like Ukelele lessons that are free and other activities that are paid for that are fun to do, usually happening in the Pau Hana Room. We stopped in to get a DVD for our room one afternoon and there were orchids laying out for lei making - stuff like that. The Daily Iwa also lists character meet n greet times It looks like this
upload_2019-2-1_12-33-26.png

Outside of the resort, honestly there is so much to do in and around Oahu but keep in mind the pools close fairly early so if a dip in the pool is important at the end of the day perhaps keep that in mind as you make your plans.

Also, Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays and then it can get crowded on Wednesdays because of people missing out on the day before-just fyi for your planning.

We kind of like to get out early in the day, go do a beach like Kailua or somewhere up North, maybe shop and have lunch and then try to be back around 4ish when everyone else is getting out of the pools and getting ready for dinner.

You will have a blast and they will LOVE it.

Our 13yo was just happy to swim (both lagoon and pools), lazy river, slides and SUP with her younger brothers last April. Our kids haven’t done Aunties other then our first trip back in 2012 - they preferred to just play with each other, plus other similar aged kids always seem to gravitate around whenever they were swimming.

My kids, 15 and 13 at the time, loved just being able to do the lazy river and slides on their own while dad and mom relaxed. (We also did them together plenty!). They also really enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and Sharks Cove. They really had no desire to stop at Dole Plantation, so we drove on by and checked out the north shore instead. My friend did Climbworks also and really enjoyed it. We wanted to do ATVs but the kids couldn’t drive their own, so they didn’t want to go after all.

Aulani for teens: some spa treatments, stand up paddle board rental, Menehune Adventure Trail game (there are several different ones!), Rainbow Reef snorkelling, feeding the fish, meeting characters, fitnesses classes on the beach, yoga on stand up paddle boards, catamaran ride, luau, silly photos with the photographers, astronomy class, Hawaiian arts and crafts (and ukulele lessons) in the Pau Hana room, art/culture resort tours, etc. There is plenty to do at the resort for all ages.

There is an Animation Class in the Pau Hana room that they might enjoy. We learned to draw Stitch, then painted a "cel" which took about an hour. We saw an evening painting class that looked interesting and there is a nighttime light/photography activity on the beach - both premium activities we might try when my kids are a little older. Go down to the beach a little before sunset and take photos with the Photopass photographers. I'd also recommend the Menehune trails. They gave us a DVC scavenger hunt sheet that we did at the same time. Definitely check the 'Iwa before you go because certain things may only be offered once during your time. If they like characters, you can call the character line at 8 AM and find out where they will be during the day. You will have a great time!

Did you all do the unlimited rainbow reef option for your teens or was it more of a one-and-done thing for them given their age?

Thank you ALL for your thoughtful replies. We are just a bit over 30 days out and I am eagerly reading all your suggestions!

If you do the rainbow reef once and don't buy the unlimited pass, you can upgrade within a certain amount of time (end of day?) to the unlimited pass. So see how it goes and upgrade if they enjoyed it and want to go again.

For our kids, it’s a one and done, they find it boring after the first time. Plus the water is pretty cold, so they are happier lazy river-ing, sliding and swimming.

My kids, after snorkeling elsewhere around the islands, declined to even do Rainbow Reef once. They said “it’s just a little tank...”. Ok, it saved me $$!

My 13yo DD was plenty happy with lazy river, pools and other general resort activities. They do have teen specific activities but the offerings vary. When we were there last October they only had teen offerings on the weekends so that was just Friday night for us as we arrived on a Sunday evening and left the following Saturday morning. We had family plans for that evening so she didn't try out any teen activities but saw some she might have been interested in if we had been there on the full weekend. During peak periods there are more teen offerings throughout the week.

We missed out on the animation classes but wanted to try them. She did enjoy the free ukelele lesson (in the aforementioned daily 'Iwa. We did this together as a family but I think there are times they offer teen specific sessions. You do have to sign up for the class that morning in the Pau Hana room). We all loved the stargazing activity (premium though so extra $$). She got bored on the Menehune Adventure Trail and bailed part way through.

We LOVED Climb Works. Highly recommended. We also had a great time (including seeing sea turtles) on our snorkeling sail out of Ko Olina harbor with Ko Olina Ocean Adventures. This may be heresy but we enjoyed this far more than Hanauma Bay. I don't think there's a need to do both if you do decide to spring for the snorkel sail. Or a need for Rainbow Reef, really. We didn't do Rainbow Reef but enjoyed looking through the underwater viewing area. I think "real" snorkeling at Hanauma or on the boat would be more enjoyable unless your kids aren't good swimmers or are nervous about it.

We did not do Kualoa Ranch because the rest of the family weren't super interested in the movie stuff and the activity options were more limited for my younger DDs (no ATV, zip line or horses- basically just the bus tours).

You can read more about our experiences as well as some photos in my TR if it would be helpful. I've added links to each day to the first post so you don't have to wade through if you want to look at a specific thing. https://www.disboards.com/threads/aulani-trip-report-october-2018.3713619/

At Aulani the activities my son liked at that age were the ukulele lessons, the menehune adventure trail, and listening to uncle tell his stories. He also participated in a few teen activities and really enjoyed the photo scavenger hunt. He never did rainbow reef, but did enjoy snorkeling at other places on the island.

We went to Aulani 3 years in a row. My daughter was 12, 13 & 14. See my video link below. She made the video our last trip. We loved walking over to paradise cove to see the sea turtles.(5 minute walk from Aulani) Every time we went over they were swimming around. I think she had the best time just being in charge of the go pro and filming stuff. Her favorite thing we did last trip was our Waikiki day with the outrigger canoe ride and catamaran. (maitai catamaran, we used a groupon)

We are going back this summer and she will be 16. She wants to try ziplining at Climb Works as I had heard it is the best and we already have our Catamaran booked. The rest we are unsure of.

I think she had the best time just being in charge of the go pro and filming stuff.

Oh yes, this is a great idea! We have a fairly inexpensive underwater camera that also films short video that we bought for snorkelling. My son had a blast with this camera, he took tons of shots of waves, of fish, turtles etc I knew he really liked it when he actually took the time to rinse it off each night from the salt water.

Agree with all the recommendations above. To add, since your daughters are looking to swim with sea turtles, are they/you open to an open-water snorkeling trip? We used Wild Side Specialty Tours, recommended by someone else on this forum, and I just can't say enough about them. It was my favorite thing from our last trip! Check out www.sailhawaii.com. We did the Deluxe Wildlife Charter, and it was amazing.

Please report back on your experience at ClimbWorks! I have it booked for July for our family which includes a 13 yr old. I also have a luau, Pearl Harbor, and the North Shore scheduled with possibly Hanauma Bay, Dole Plantation, and the Byodo-In temple if we have time and/or feel like it.

I’ve never stayed at Aulani, but lived on Oahu 20 years ago. We own at the Marriott Ko Olina, and go every other year at least.

As far as snorkeling, I’d recommend a dolphin snorkel trip straight from the Marina at Ko Olina, rather than dealing with the traffic and crowds at Hanauma Bay. We did one years ago when my kids were about 8 and 10, and it was breathtaking.

With only a week, yeah, maybe skip Dole Plantation. It’s got a cute train ride, and massive gift shop, with items that are, well, quite overpriced (duh).

If you enjoy shopping for unique souvenirs, cheap tee shirts, beach towels, homemade candles and lovely smelling soaps, I cannot recommend anywhere more highly than the swap meet. It is held Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays at the Aloha Stadium. We try to go very early, as it gets HOT. We go for 2-4 weeks at a time, so always end up going more than once. We stop somewhere in Pearl City for sushi or Korean food on the way back.

Since you’re spending a lot of $$ to stay at Aulani, I’d just let them spend some days simply enjoying the resort.

I’ve done Paradise Cove twice I think. Once when we lived there, once with my mom and friend. Ugh, it is LONG, even with premium seating it’s just not my cuppa tea. I was falling asleep first time, and we lived on the island! Imagine how it is with jet lag.

Bishop Museum is fun, but honestly with just a week, you’ll need to pick and choose. I’d stay somewhere cheaper if it’s just a place to sleep; staying at Aulani, you may as well take advantage of the pools and lagoon!

Big yes on climbworks. We've gone 3 times. They are the best!
Did anyone in your family not meet the weight requirement? I have a 9.5 year old that won't weigh enough to go by themselves so the website said they will go with a guide (or a sibling but that would never fly with the older sibling haha)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter