Please Help with Lodging for Family of 6

Thank you for the clarification on the rooms. Now I am confused, so, if we stay onsite there is a parking charge at the resorts, but not at the parks? But if we stay off site we pay to park at the parks?

Just to be clear -- "adjoining" simply means next to or near. I think you want "connecting" which has an interior door between the rooms without going into the hall. Connecting rooms are never guaranteed at WDW, so if it's important, that rules out 2 regular rooms which is likely your least expensive on-site option. That leaves the least expensive onsite options as a family suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation or a cabin at Fort Wilderness. Note that a stay at the cabin would involve using an interior bus and switching buses.

The deluxe resorts offer valet parking. The parks do not have valet parking, and parking at the parks is not complimentary with an HA tag.

I've never stayed offsite, but it might be your most economical option. Be sure to crunch numbers. Include a rental if needed (accessible rentals can be expensive) and parking each day, as well as meals and/or groceries. You can save money by eating offsite and/or bringing a picnic lunch to the parks - if you are so inclined (some people like a vacation from fixing meals). Onsite stays will mean paying the resort parking fee if you bring your vehicle (parking at the parks will be free). The dining plan is optional and we never feel it saves us money over paying out-of-pocket for meals.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for the clarification on the rooms. Now I am confused, so, if we stay onsite there is a parking charge at the resorts, but not at the parks? But if we stay off site we pay to park at the parks?

If you stay off-site you have to pay for parking at the parks.

If you stay on-site you have to pay for parking at your resort, but then parking at the parks is free - they don't double-charge you.

Either way, if you have a car you're going to pay to park it.

We have our own van - not accessible - she transfers, and we just put the chair in the storage area.

We thought of flying, but it makes us nervous about wasting time if they give us the wrong kind of van - we don’t need accessible, but we need room for a chair that does not fold as well as 6 people and luggage. The other option is flying and staying in the park without a car, but that may be way out of our price range. Takes about 15 hours to drive.

Just to be clear -- "adjoining" simply means next to or near. I think you want "connecting" which has an interior door between the rooms without going into the hall. Connecting rooms are never guaranteed at WDW, so if it's important, that rules out 2 regular rooms which is likely your least expensive on-site option. That leaves the least expensive onsite options as a family suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation or a cabin at Fort Wilderness. Note that a stay at the cabin would involve using an interior bus and switching buses.

The deluxe resorts offer valet parking. The parks do not have valet parking, and parking at the parks is not complimentary with an HA tag.

I've never stayed offsite, but it might be your most economical option. Be sure to crunch numbers. Include a rental if needed (accessible rentals can be expensive) and parking each day, as well as meals and/or groceries. You can save money by eating offsite and/or bringing a picnic lunch to the parks - if you are so inclined (some people like a vacation from fixing meals). Onsite stays will mean paying the resort parking fee if you bring your vehicle (parking at the parks will be free). The dining plan is optional and we never feel it saves us money over paying out-of-pocket for meals.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last year WDW starting charging an overnight parking fee at the resorts; the fee depends on which resort. However, let me amend my prior post -- you presumably have HA plates or hangtag, which does allow for free parking at the resorts as an onsite guest. Also as an onsite guest there is no fee to park at the parks, or you have the option of WDW transportation.

As an offsite guest, you would need to pay parking at the parks. I believe it's $25 per day, keep your receipt of you plan to park-hop or leave/return.

Enjoy your vacation!

With six of you I'd drive. You'll more than off-set the cost of parking v. flights and you'll have the comfort of knowing your van suits your needs.

Having a family of 6 myself, the least expensive option is going to be staying off-site and just pay the $25 parking fee at the parks.

A couple thoughts...

Even if you fly and reserve the "right" van, you might not get it. One time when we flew, the rental vehicle was an SUV, not the minivan we requested. They said it was an upgrade--ha! Our suitcases didn't even fit in the back. Then they relented and gave us a minivan. We were not thrilled that they tried to give us the run-around. I'd be even less thrilled if they were eating into park time, and I had something like a wheelchair versus suitcases.

If you like Disney-themed rooms, take a good look at the condos/houses in Windsor Hills and other offsite rentals. Some are more understated--maybe a Florida or beach theme, or something vaguely Disney (movies, etc.), but many are over-the-top princess-y, Mickey Mouse, or other Disney theme. Especially in the bedrooms and bathrooms. If you have favorites, you can find Toy Story, Lion King, Tangled--whatever. We prefer understated, but there are plenty to choose from, for any taste.

Funny story--my DD23 went to HS with triplet boys--she was good friends with one of them. Their family went to WDW, and stayed in a 3BR condo. He got the princess room. His brothers gave him crap, but he told DD--"I had a room all to myself! For the first time in my life! Who cares about the decor!"

Last year WDW starting charging an overnight parking fee at the resorts; the fee depends on which resort. However, let me amend my prior post -- you presumably have HA plates or hangtag, which does allow for free parking at the resorts as an onsite guest. Also as an onsite guest there is no fee to park at the parks, or you have the option of WDW transportation.

As an offsite guest, you would need to pay parking at the parks. I believe it's $25 per day, keep your receipt of you plan to park-hop or leave/return.

Enjoy your vacation!
Yes, we have tags. Thank you!

We are staying at the Townplace Suites Flamingo Crossings next week. It gets great reviews and has free breakfast. We are paying $109 a night plus tax. May be worth checking out.

Stay at Sheraton Vistana Villages Resort Villas, you cant post links on here as referrals. I got 4nights for 200.00 it is so nice full kitchen, we upgraded to a 2 bedroom. It's not what people think you dont have to go to timeshare meetings unless you want what they are "giving" away if you are just happy with a great room at a great price just say no to the gift cards and park tickets.

The last time we went to WDW we had both of my parents in wheelchairs/scooters. We stayed onsite and used the buses. I thought the bus drivers went above and beyond to help my parents on and off the bus. They strapped down the scooters and folded wheelchairs for us. It could not have been easier. We were told they weren't allowed to sit on the scooters or chairs while the bus was in motion. When the bus pulled up, the driver loaded my parents first then allowed us to get on. My parents needed to sit but we stood to allow other at the stop to have a seat. We found this stopped some of the grumbling from other guests who felt put out when we were allowed on first.
Our 13 year old was just adopted from China 3 years ago, and uses a wheelchair. She does not need anything special as far as a room, but I mention it for transportation. A wheelchair is a pain if we have to switch buses, etc.

Thank you so much for your help!

My 1st thoughts are the family suites at AOA they sleep 6 with - 2 bathrooms which is always helpful with a larger group...

2nd would be 2 rooms at a moderate... and you must state "connecting rooms" .
I say this as the rooms at a value are smaller, and with 6 peoples stuff, and wheelchair it would be tight... You could make it work though if you placed everything strategically in both rooms...

Renting a DVC, from Davids might work... and he always seem to have something available... not sure on pricing...

Staying on-site for me would be the way to go, just the magic inside the resorts is what keeps you in that Disney bubble... Free parking at the parks, our friends just spent 10 days they have a handicap sticker for their Van, and she said that they did not have to pay for parking at the resort, because of that... Which I will say that I'm not really sure about that...Can someone else chime in here if you know?... I thought a parking fee is just that a parking fee... no matter what ...

Orange Lakes is very close and we have friends that stay here every time they visit and they love it... They did a family trip like 2 years ago, had a wheelchair for her Dad, the shower was easy for them to roll him in and he would transfer to a bench, to shower super easy. I also think that they have a lift at one of the pools...

You could also check out the hotels on hotel blvd... which is sorta on property it's right next to Disney Springs...

Westgate lakes Resort - I think that they have recently been revamped, and upgraded...

Last edited:
2nd would be 2 rooms at a moderate... and you must state "connecting rooms" .
Important to note: even this does not guarantee connecting rooms. The only way to ensure all rooms/people/things can be accessed by the entire party is to book a single unit that accommodates one's party size.
Can someone else chime in here if you know?... I thought a parking fee is just that a parking fee... no matter what .
it's true but please always remember to tip.

Important to note: even this does not guarantee connecting rooms. The only way to ensure all rooms/people/things can be accessed by the entire party is to book a single unit that accommodates one's party size.

it's true but please always remember to tip.

We have requested connecting rooms several times, and have been granted our request each time. In saying that we always did it at the time we reserved our rooms, and I do tend to call to book our trips especially when we need something special like this...one year I need connecting rooms, on the 1st floor

I guess I wasn't really clear what I was asking on parking..., I wasn't talking about valet parking, Just regular handicap parking in the resort where you park yourself, my friend said that they did not have to pay for parking at the resort because of the handicap sticker... Which is what I am really wondering about... if you have a handicap sticker or hanger do you still have to pay for self parking in at the resorts?

if you have a handicap sticker or hanger do you still have to pay for self parking in at the resorts?

The parking fee that was just instituted last year is waived for vehicles with official HA plates or hangtag. It is not officially noted anywhere (i.e. website), so I suppose that could go away, but at this time it is true at all resorts. Deluxe resorts will also waive the valet parking fee, but as @kaytieeldr mentions, a tip is still expected for valet.

Enjoy your vacation!

The parking fee that was just instituted last year is waived for vehicles with official HA plates or hangtag. It is not officially noted anywhere (i.e. website), so I suppose that could go away, but at this time it is true at all resorts. Deluxe resorts will also waive the valet parking fee, but as @kaytieeldr mentions, a tip is still expected for valet.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you, I am planning a couple of night for my mom and I and I just want to know what to budget for... Thanks again..

I would consider looking at the Ft. Wilderness cabins if staying onsite is important. There will be a queen bed, twin bunk beds, and a pull out couch. Although it may not be as ideal as a larger deluxe, it may be one of the most affordable ways for you to stay onsite.

I'm not sure if they have cabins that are wheelchair-accessible - the ones we've stayed at all had stairs and were also so extremely narrow in the connector to the bedroom that you might run into trouble with that too. If they do or if the stairs aren't an issue, the cabins are my favorite "affordable" family lodging, since they've also got a full kitchen and guaranteed four beds.

There are wheelchair accessible cabins at Fort Wilderness. I don't know how many, but it's a bookable category. There is an exterior ramp and the interior is modified to meet ADA standards for accessibility into the bedroom and bath, roll-in shower, lower counters, etc.

We have requested connecting rooms several times, and have been granted our request each time. In saying that we always did it at the time we reserved our rooms, and I do tend to call to book our trips especially when we need something special like this...one year I need connecting rooms, on the 1st floor

You have been very fortunate. I have not had the same luck. :sad1:

Did you request over the phone or enter in the request at the time you booked your trip? or was it when you were checking in?...

Ahead of time definitely. Back when I used a TA they would make the request too. Still didn't always get connecting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter