Please Help with Lodging for Family of 6

Kim in PA

Mouseketeer
Traveling this June, and need suggestions on how to save on lodging for a large family. We have been to WDW 5 times, but this is our first time as a family of 6.

We have 23 year old twin daughters, and 13 and 18 year old daughters who both have special needs.

We have always stayed in the park before - Port Orleans, the Poly and the Beach Club when we had discounts, but it just seems too expensive for 6, since 5 are adults. We will have a van.

We would love to find a way to stay in the park, but we are open to all suggestions including off site rental properties. We do not spend much time at the pool, and will not do a waterpark.

Our 13 year old was just adopted from China 3 years ago, and uses a wheelchair. She does not need anything special as far as a room, but I mention it for transportation. A wheelchair is a pain if we have to switch buses, etc. Our 18 year old daughter has autism, which causes her to wander, talk to strangers, etc. so if we don’t have a suite, we need adjoining rooms so the older girls can help us with the others.

If you have a specific place you stayed that you think would work for us in June, please let us know!

What are the disadvantages to staying offsite?

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
We're a family of 6 and when all of us are traveling we stay off-site. I use VRBO to find something that suits our needs and have never been disappointed. Perks are a lot more room for the money, private pool, ability to eat some meals in, washer/dryer. Since you already have a van you won't have to rent one. Cons are you have to pay for parking (which I don't care about because we save so much on renting a villa), you can't make your fast-pass reservations until 30 days out (60 for on-site guests), you can't buy the dining plan (I don't buy it anyway so not a con for me). Overall, I find it takes us less time to get to the parks than waiting for the Disney buses. Some places that we have stayed at are:

https://www.vrbo.com/3806567ha

https://www.vrbo.com/4085293ha

https://www.vrbo.com/969830ha

I would consider looking at the Ft. Wilderness cabins if staying onsite is important. There will be a queen bed, twin bunk beds, and a pull out couch. Although it may not be as ideal as a larger deluxe, it may be one of the most affordable ways for you to stay onsite.

We have been very happy with 3 bedroom condos at Windsor Hills, usually about $600/week booked directly through the owners rent site. During the summer, we prefer houses from vrbo with private pool and hot tub. Another good alternative might be the Disney Springs hotels which are eligible for 60 day FP now, but two connecting rooms run about the same cost as one Disney room.

Last edited:

I second the idea of a Windsor Hills condo, probably 3BR since everyone will be adult-sized. Normally, I'd say "house", and you could look at those, but they have private pools--why pay for that if it's not a priority? Especially if you'll be driving down--I assume you have an accessible vehicle.

If you must fly, I would see what I could get for a DVC rental. Aim for whichever resort best suits your needs/touring style (i.e., near MK if that's where you'll spend the bulk of your time).

We drove the last 2 times (from PA). Looking into the cost if flying, but probably out if our price range. My daughter’s chair fits in the storage area of the van. I would be afraid to try to rent something there and then not have it fit since it doesn’t fold and we need seating for 6, so if we fly we would have to stay in the park.
I second the idea of a Windsor Hills condo, probably 3BR since everyone will be adult-sized. Normally, I'd say "house", and you could look at those, but they have private pools--why pay for that if it's not a priority? Especially if you'll be driving down--I assume you have an accessible vehicle.

If you must fly, I would see what I could get for a DVC rental. Aim for whichever resort best suits your needs/touring style (i.e., near MK if that's where you'll spend the bulk of your time).

I don’t know anything about DVC rentals - would that be cheaper than regular Disney hotel?

I don’t know anything about DVC rentals - would that be cheaper than regular Disney hotel?

It can be cheaper than renting two rooms, depending on how much you rent your points for. There's also the family suites at Art of Animation or All Star Music, but I think the tend to fill up fast and there may not be any availability for June of this year.

I third the idea of a Windsor Hills condo. My family and I along with 2 friends are staying there for a week in March. Similarly, there will be six adults and I know we're going to appreciate the extra space. It also helps that they are very cost effective.

I love onsite, but my friend is staying at Windsor Hills right now--it's very affordable for larger groups, and iirc, they have a hot tub as well as a personal pool, and it is very close to the main gate.

One of my friends is in a wheelchair most of the time, and it works well for him, from what I know. I think she also mentioned that because he has mobility issues, they have complimentary valet parking at the parks themselves, so they don't have to pay the parking fee either.

It's something to look into.

For me, I'd always rather stay on site because I love the whimsy (and if I had the money I'd always choose to be a short walk or a monorail ride from Epcot), but for a bigger group, off-site seems like it's more affordable *and* less hassle, especially if you have members of your group with mobility needs.

Wyndham Bonnet Creek would be awesome! Pretty much onsite just not owned by Disney. Beautiful resort with private villas from 1-4 bedrooms. Rent from vacation upgrades.com to save money. Highly recommend it.

Staybridge Suites, LBV is pretty great. We have stayed there a few times. The unit we get is a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom with a full kitchen. It is right by Disney Springs so you are very close to everything Disney.

To us, there are no disadvantages to staying off property. It's the only way to go for us. We're a family of 5 and no way would we ever stuff ourselves into a hotel room on property. We love having all the comforts of home. Kids have their own bedroom, full kitchen, laundry, family room, etc... You can expect to pay around $100/night including all taxes, fees, etc...for a 3-4 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo or townhouse.

We've done off site stays at least 15 times, in a host of different places all around WDW. We haven't done Windsor Hills...we've looked at it hard because of the constant talk about it here. It looks nice for sure, but can't say we found it all that impressive or a value. Check on VRBO and you'll find endless options. Literally hundreds of choices. Rt. 192 runs right by WDW and is packed with rental communities.

I had never heard of the valet parking - is this at all the parks?
I love onsite, but my friend is staying at Windsor Hills right now--it's very affordable for larger groups, and iirc, they have a hot tub as well as a personal pool, and it is very close to the main gate.

One of my friends is in a wheelchair most of the time, and it works well for him, from what I know. I think she also mentioned that because he has mobility issues, they have complimentary valet parking at the parks themselves, so they don't have to pay the parking fee either.

It's something to look into.

For me, I'd always rather stay on site because I love the whimsy (and if I had the money I'd always choose to be a short walk or a monorail ride from Epcot), but for a bigger group, off-site seems like it's more affordable *and* less hassle, especially if you have members of your group with mobility needs.

To us, there are no disadvantages to staying off property. It's the only way to go for us. We're a family of 5 and no way would we ever stuff ourselves into a hotel room on property. We love having all the comforts of home. Kids have their own bedroom, full kitchen, laundry, family room, etc... You can expect to pay around $100/night including all taxes, fees, etc...for a 3-4 bedroom, 2.5 bath condo or townhouse.

We've done off site stays at least 15 times, in a host of different places all around WDW. We haven't done Windsor Hills...we've looked at it hard because of the constant talk about it here. It looks nice for sure, but can't say we found it all that impressive or a value. Check on VRBO and you'll find endless options. Literally hundreds of choices. Rt. 192 runs right by WDW and is packed with rental communities.

if we don’t have a suite, we need adjoining rooms so the older girls can help us with the others.

Just to be clear -- "adjoining" simply means next to or near. I think you want "connecting" which has an interior door between the rooms without going into the hall. Connecting rooms are never guaranteed at WDW, so if it's important, that rules out 2 regular rooms which is likely your least expensive on-site option. That leaves the least expensive onsite options as a family suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation or a cabin at Fort Wilderness. Note that a stay at the cabin would involve using an interior bus and switching buses.

I had never heard of the valet parking - is this at all the parks?

The deluxe resorts offer valet parking. The parks do not have valet parking, and parking at the parks is not complimentary with an HA tag.

I've never stayed offsite, but it might be your most economical option. Be sure to crunch numbers. Include a rental if needed (accessible rentals can be expensive) and parking each day, as well as meals and/or groceries. You can save money by eating offsite and/or bringing a picnic lunch to the parks - if you are so inclined (some people like a vacation from fixing meals). Onsite stays will mean paying the resort parking fee if you bring your vehicle (parking at the parks will be free) - or free with HA tags. The dining plan is optional and we never feel it saves us money over paying out-of-pocket for meals.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!