please help me find a full size van for a good price

disneywith6kids

Mouseketeer
I really need help finding an 8 passenger van for Dec. 3-27. So far I booked one with"Specialty van and car rental" but when I called today they seemed clueless about my confirmation code and kept insisting I was renting from Miami. The man said after a few minutes that it was a mistake and it would be Orlando airport. Yet they never asked for a deposit---I'm a little nervous now about using this company.:(

Did you check with Budget rental at MCO?

I know they have larger vans, and there are coupons in the entertainment book that is just out.

Some posters that need big vans have decided to go with two full size sedans instead. Would that be an option for you?

Good luck.

Herc.

Log on to Orbitz and do a quick price check. Then check Dollar and National, if you want to rent from somewhere at the airport. Or you can try some of the off airport places if you like. I think most of them have a full size van.

FYI, these cars will not be cheap and they are hardly ever discounted. Are you really staying for the Dec 3-27 or was that a typo?

We really are staying that long---I know I can't believe it myself!
Actually the kids think we're coming home the 20th but we decided to surprise them. We homeschool so don't panic--we just school in the summer to make up for it

Btw, I tried searching orbitz and hotwire but none of them have the car selection "full size van" to choose from--maybe I should just put in "full size" but I believe that is for a car.;)

I'll check dollar-thanks

FYI, I tried Dollar and they don't seem to advertise a full size van. National does. I plugged in Dec 3-7 (I really thought there was a typo) and it said there was no availability.

I'd call National directly and see if there really is no availability or if you can book with them over the phone.

Too bad you can't get 2 full size cars as that might be the best way to go if there's no availability or if the prices are outrageous.

thank you for trying---I also checked National but got nowhere. I may have to resort to 2 full size cars--was hoping to stay together and let DH do all the driving. I'm usually the taxi driver at home and could use a break. ;)

We already bought the plane tickets and we have a Suburban. After putting all the kids in the car we wouldn't have room for the luggage. Besides, I drove 12 hours to North Carolina with them last year and swear I'll never do it again. They were really good considering they could barely move but me --it drove me nuts to be stuck behind the wheel for 12 hours. Thanks for the input though--I'm sure with 5 kids you understand;)

We also need 8 seats, and usually have some "extra" people with us, so we've rented LARGE (15 pass) vans 3 times now. Once from Budget for about $500/week (about $150 below the regular price, but I booked 8 months in advance) which was fine, and twice from Orlando Car Rental. I would highly recommend Orlando Car Rental. Their prices are competitive, and the owner, Richard, is great to work with. Their website is http://www.orlandocarrental.com/

We were concerned about space for all our luggage, and Richard actually removed one seat out of a large van so we'd have more room in the back. The office is in a hotel close to the airport, and Richard will pick you up at the baggage claim area (usually in the van you'll be renting), take you to the office for paperwork, and then you're on your way to WDW! I thought renting from a company actually located at the airport would be more time-efficient, but it wasn't. It took just as much time at the Budget counter as it did going to the Orlando Car Rental office.

On one occasion, something went wrong with the van (minor, and I don't remember what it was, but we couldn't drive it) and we had to take a cab to our destination that evening. Richard reimbursed us for the cab and had the van all fixed up the very next day. He's a pleasure to rent from, and I'll probably do so again next time we go.

We also homeschool, and just returned from a week's trip. Hope your vacation is magical!!

That's a really tough time to find vehicles, but I know it must be possible...

I have a feeling that you'll be able to find some good deals using codes on the mousesavers site:

http://www.mousesavers.com/groundtrans.html#rental

If in doubt of how many seats the van (or maybe large SUV?) will have, once you find a good deal, I'd check with the rental company on their 1-800 or 1-888 number to make sure the vehicle is big enough to hold the troops... ;)

If you find a good rate, I'd jump on it... You can always make another when a better one comes along and cancel the first one...

Have a great time, maybe we'll cross paths at WDW and not even know it!
:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter