Please help me fake MNSSHP šŸŽƒšŸ‘» for my sleepy toddler

DisneyFave

Mouseketeer
So after getting some great Disboards advice about crowds during our planned Oct 27 MNSSHP visit, I am leaning toward just getting the mid-day pass and going to MK noon to 6pm (about as much as both DH and toddler can handle).

But my toddler LOVESSS everything Halloween/spooky/trick or treat themed. šŸŽƒšŸŽƒ

Any ideas for how I can make our daytime visit spooky and magical?

For example, I was thinking he could bring his Mickey Trick or Treat bucket, and I could place candy for him to ā€œdiscoverā€ at different spots just as weā€™re walking around. Heā€™s pretty clueless:) so I could literally be a couple feet ahead of him and do that.

TIA šŸŽƒ šŸ‘»

I'd let your LO wear a costume or Halloween shirt (it'll probably be hot out, so something with short sleeves). I like your idea of bringing his bucket and letting him "find" candy. lol.
You could tell him that he's going on "Halloween" rides with pirates (pirates of the caribbean) and ghosts (haunted mansion). On HM, they take a ride pic of you with a "ghost" in the pic. Could make a cute keepsake if you decide to purchase the photo.
I'd take lots of pics with your LO at the front of the park and Main St with all the Halloween decor. Play up the Halloween theming with him.
They do sell an Oogie Boogie popcorn bucket if you think he'd like that. It's lights up too, it's pretty cool. I just bought one last weekend. :-)
You could get one of the (free) disney "I'm Celebrating" buttons and have them write Halloween on it. CMs may wish him a Happy Halloween if he's in costume and they notice him wearing the button. I know cms are really good at wishing kids "Happy Birthday" when wearing their birthday buttons so I think it'd be worth a shot. You can get a button at guest relations and just about every gift shop at the parks (usually at or behind the counters).
I imagine your LO will probably be asleep by the time the fireworks start (10:15), but you could view them from the ferryboat dock at TTC. You won't really be able to see the projections, but you can see the fireworks over the castle and hear the music. I know some people like to watch fireworks from the beach at the Poly, but we've never tried that before.

With a toddler I donā€™t think you need to fake anything. Just spend the day at Disneyland. Look at the Halloween decorations. Buy a fun decorated cookie or cupcake. Thereā€™s plenty of stimulating things to do. Your toddler likely doesnā€™t know thereā€™s a party that includes trick-or-treating and candy. Iā€™m a fan of keeping things simple with kids. We tend to think we need to do more and more for them, but usually theyā€™re just as thrilled with less. Itā€™s like buying an expensive toy and the kid just wants to play with the box. Thatā€™s just my philosophy, for what itā€™s worth!

Great ideas from previous posters. One trip we we did not go to the party. Instead took a break at 4 to get a themed snack and watched the partygoers as they came in wearing costumes. It got us in the Halloween spirit and was free entertainment.

The themed snacks are always a nice 'surprise' or I know you can also find the halloween Mickey shaped rice crispy treats in the parks even when it's not the party.

Villain meet-and-greets.

Have his button say "wish me a spooky Halloween" or something like that.

My 4-year-old pointed out Every. Single. Mickey. Pumpkin. at Disneyland when we went one year in October. Somehow it didn't get old.

PHXscuba

If you go to MK on the day of a party, hard-ticket guests will be allowed into the park starting at 4 pm. So if you make it a point to be there at that time, he will see lots of folks in costume, and the special areas will be set up. HOWEVER, that means that the special areas will be set up, and he won't be allowed inside them, so that will be a situation you will have to weigh as to which has the most potential for meltdown.

I think your approach is smart. We took our eldest to MNSSHP when he was a toddler and while it was fun, we left as soon as the fireworks ended. Our last trip we didn't even make it to the fireworks. We won't do anymore hard ticket parties until our kids are older. I think all the suggestions made by PP are great, and I would add:

- try to get a lunch ADR at Be Our Guest and pick a table in the West Wing. Spooky atmosphere and a great QS meal that comes to you, always key with a toddler.
- go see the Monsters Inc show in Tomorrowland. Monsters are Halloween-y, right?
- Catch the afternoon parade. It may not be Boo to You but it has a dragon float at the end.
- Consider dinner at the Polynesian resort, either Ohana or Kona Cafe. You can watch the fireworks from the beach afterwards even if your toddler is sleeping in his stroller. It's a good view and they pipe in the music.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter