• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Please Help! Four weeks to schedule a Disney trip! Ahh

fritzi

Earning My Ears
I don't even know if I posting this on the right board, but I need help fast, and I am so overwhelmed.

I have never been to Disney and I am so overwhelmed. My husband was going to surprise me with a trip to Disneyworl on my birthday during the last week of May. We are going May 26th to June 1st. All of his plans fell through and now he needs my helps to surprise me! He was so disappointed that he had to tell me my surprise! I have got to get everything and at decent prices too. What can I or should I be doing during this time?!!

We plan on a 4 day park hopper pass. We will either go to Universal/seaworld/ioa or the water park on our 5th day. We plan on touring the Disney hotels for our 1/2 day and swimming at our own pool. Hopefully we can get rooms at HIFS. Do you need to have the Orlando Happenings book to get the $86 discount price there, or just your area happenings book?

Would it be cheaper to use a town car service and use a taxi for our one non disney day, and use the hotel transport. the rest of the time, or to rent a car? What size would we need for 3 adults and 2 car seat children? Can anyone help me find a good deal on this? If we rent a car do we need to bring our own car seats?

Are there coupons to make Sea World cheaper?

Is there any chance that I will get a Character breakfast at all this late in the game?

I don't know how to put this all together by myself, aggh!

Amy

First of all take a deep breath--everything will be ok--you're going to the Happiest Place on Earth!! If you don't have a guidebook, get one or two. I have used The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and Birnbaum's guide. Use these to get an idea of what you really want to see and do. WDW is HUGE and there is so much to do. Keep asking lots of questions here--someone will be along any minute to help you with all of the details. Happy planning!!

We have three DDs and can't live without a car when we visit WDW. We've generally gotten great rates through Priceline on our rental cars and hotel stays while in Orlando. I'd recommend a car. I'm not sure about the entertainment rate at HIFS - sorry. Good luck planning and have fun!

You seem a bit frazzled, and have not gotten much response so I wanted to help out if I could.

First, I think that the time you are planning to go should not be too busy - after Memorial Day Weekend and before most all schools are out. I don't think getting a character breakfast should be a problem. I, myself, would probably just try to get a Priority Seating once down there, but if you want to make sure you get in somewhere, call 407-WDW-Dine right away.
Dining Info

I can't tell you much about HIFS, we always stay on Disney Property, but I suggest looking at MouseSavers Area Hotels for more info. Browse around the whole MousSaver site, too, you may find a code for staying at an All-Star Resort for even less and other money saving tips.

The cheapest way to get from the Disney Area to Sea World is the local bus system. But I would suggest talking to the hotel you plan to stay at to see what they suggest. When I priced out Town Car vs. Taxi from Disney to Sea World, it was about the same, so do what you are comfortable with there.

If you have not already done so, check theDIS Transportation Board for more info on rental cars, taxis, town car services, etc.

For cheaper Sea World Tickets, check your "Entertainment Book" if you have one, or a Florida ticket broker or travel agent Like listed here they all seem to sell Universal and Sea World tickets at a discount like the WDW tickets.

Good Luck and have FUN planning!

Cathy:cool:

I am a bit more relaxed. The adrenaline was really pumping when I wrote the original post. Well I did make the reservations for the Hotel and air and that takes so much pressure off. I was able to get Delta Song tickets for $119 + taxes/fees ($145 total) non stop roundtrip at the times I wanted. I thought the price was pretty good from JFK to MCO.

I also made reservations for HIFS at the Entertainment rate of $86. I would love to stay on property but for what we needed we just couldn't afford it. We needed a private bedroom with a door, and sleeping areas for my 2 children and my mom. Staying at HIFS is affordable enough to let us stay 2 more days.

Now I am trying to plan what days we go where. Is Memorial really busy at all the parks? We might do Sea World or IOA one of the days. What do you all think would be the best place to go on Memorial Day?

I am going to try and get a character breakfast now, but if I don't do you think I have a good chance of getting in just by calling that morning or just showing up?

I am little worried though that I am trying to plan too much. This will likely be my only trip in the next 20 years and I want to make it perfect. So many guidebooks tell you exact plans, and there is even tourguidemike.com, are any of these worth it.

I am so excited. I will celebrate my birthday while I am there. Do they do anything special for the birthday?

My parents told me every year since I was 8 that we were going to Disneyworld and every time they cancelled. I always packed my bag right away so they could see how much I wanted to go. When I made the nonrefundable airline reservations, I bawled like a baby. I am really going.

Good for you, Fritzi! And how nice of you to take you mother, since she didn't take you! Sounds like you're on your way to a great trip! I haven't used tourguidemike.com myself. I will, just haven't done it yet. Anyway, have heard nothing but good about him here on the DIS. The dollars spent there may well save you later! Both in time and $$$. Take a look. Know that you won't see it all. Not possible in 4 days. Perhaps you can make it again in less than 20 years! :D Just enjoy what you do do. Don't know about Memorial Day. To be honest, I avoid going anywhere on holidays. I spend them at home. Have a fabulous time, Fritzi! There's nothing like your first trip to WDW! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Is this your trip or everyone else's trip?

Is money a question?
Is satifiyng everyone?
I stayed at the Swan on my birthday week in the middle of the WDW property and my wife told the manager of the event , I ended up with a 24inch BD Cake in the Room.
Swan and Dolphin are running a special , check it out can't hurt.
Go to Mousesaver.com for cross or priceline, time is still on your side.

STAY FOCUSED ON THE OBJECTIVE!

ENJOY!

THE MAGIC HAPPENS!
:jester: :jester: :jester:

Thanks for the priorities thing. I finally buckled down and said we are getting a rental car because I wanted to go by my own schedule and not someone elses (shuttle system).

However that said money is a huge issue for this trip. I only have 1000 saved and my mom is paying about 1500 of it.

This trip is mostly for me but also the kids. My dh has been to WDW and he wasn't as impressed because they don't have a lot of thrill rides when he went 12 years ago (no big roller coasters). I would love for this trip to be awesome so he could see a new side of WDW and maybe want to return later.

I also went ahead and got a priority seating with Cinderella at the Grand Floridian, is this nice?

Suggest call GF back and inform them that you are Celebrating your Birthday
and any other WDW on property RES. this will give them a heads up for when youall arrive.

ENJOY!

THE MAGIC WILL HAPPEN!

Stop by City Hall at MK and Guest Service at AK and get a birthday button. Wear it proudly the entire trip. You will get smiles and "Happy Birthday"s all over the place. Who know what else.

1900 PF is a pretty good restaurant. Lots of good things to choose from off the buffet. Don't forget about the bread pudding with vanilla sauce. And the prime rib is excellent. Let the kids enjoy the swimming pool, they will love you for it.

Plan out a schedule if you can. Maybe just places for large blocks of time, not exact locations in the parks. It really helps if you have an idea of where you want to go each day ahead of time. That way you don't spend an hour to two saying "What do you want to do?"

I agree that if you can get something at WDW it will be a lot easier. You can rely on park and resort transportation to get you around. And with so few nights, personally, I'd skip Seaworld/US/IOA and just do Disney. There is so much to do and you can take a mid-day break so much easier. How about Coronado Springs? We got $99 a night there.

If your kiddos are little, the Disney resorts will have pack 'n plays for sleeping for at least one of them. So you have four plus one under 3 in a room.

You can do a nice character breakfast at Cape May at the Beach Club. I bet you can still get a PS there. Make it on a day you plan to do Disney Studios or Epcot and walk over to BC from your bus stop. Then hubby can do Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror or Test Track if he wants a little thrill in his trip.

Have a great time.

Amy,

What a terrific last minute surprise!!!

You'll love HIFS :). We were there last summer and will be there again at the end of this month!

You can find a lot of great information on the Orlando Resorts Board about HIFS.

Have a great trip :)

Teresa

Well it all feels like it is coming together. Woo Hoo!!!!!

We booked HIFS for May 25th-June 1st. We went with this because of the rave reviews and the $86 price. The free PizzaHut pizza helped too. We also needed a master bedroom with a locking door for :o purely romantic reasons. I am quite happy with the hotel at the moment.

I also got Delta Song tickets for $119 +tax for $150 total each from JFK to MCO. The flight times are perfect too!

Next I finally convinced my DH that a full size car rental was indeed cheaper than the shuttles/town car/taxi plan he was rooting for. I got a full size car (5 adult + 3 luggage) through National for $120 + taxes and fees for $161 total. I will keep checking, but I thought it was pretty good. We are limiting ourselves to 3 outfits packed plus the one we are wearing, so our luggage is quite light.

I also made a PS for dinner with Cinderella at 1900 Park Fair in the Grand Floridian. That was the hotel I dreamed of staying at as a child so I think I will enjoy this just as much as CRT. Oh I guess my dd and ds should enjoy it too.

I also figured out the days we are going to each park.

Monday is Epcot
Tuesday is Sea World
Wednesday is MGM
Thursday is Animal Kingdom with Cindy dinner after
Friday is a surprise I don't know about plus swimming at our hotel
Saturday is Magic Kingdom

Saturday is my birthday and it seems a perfect end to a dream trip. I was afraid that it would be too crowded on that Saturday though, so I may go to Magic Kingdom after MGM with my dh and no kids for a little preview.

I also have let go of most of the guilt that the cost of this trip has laid upon me. But a good friend told me that my children will not remember the furniture I would have bought with the money, but they will talk about WDW for years to come.

You guys are so awesome for helping me!

I was standing in BJ's today and it dawn on me!

Charge everthing from the WDW trip on a c/c that pays a rebate benefit and then a 1/2 month after the trip transfer to a LOW INTEREST CREDIT CARD or as I am fortunate to have A ZERO % RATE CARD that is locked in till may 2004.

If you think of it as car payments pay the Zero Card in large regular payments until the end of the term then call the card company you used at WDW and tell them that you would like to transfer the balance back to there card at the 0% for one year,
that way the money from next years tax refund will pay off the remaining balance.

ENJOY!

THE MAGIC HAPPENS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter