Please Help!! Disneyland NEWBIE

MissesB4409

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,
I have not been to Disneyland in YEARS...okay..so a decade! We are taking a cruise out of Long Beach and when we get off the cruise on May 24th, we plan on surprising our boys (4 and 6) with a day at Disneyland. I WISH we could go for more than one day and visit DCA and Cars Land, but at this point, its just not in the cards.
So...we have one day only in the park, and I want to of course maximize our time. Our boys can ride everything, except our youngest is 2 inches shy of Indiana Jones. My plan for navigating the park is to just start in one land and work our way around, without bouncing back and forth throughout the park. I feel like I have a pretty good handle and idea on what to expect and I realize that we won't be able to do EVERYTHING.
Does anyone know how crowded the park will be that day? Its the last day of the so-cal promotion and the Thursday before memorial day, so I'm not sure if those will be a factor. Also..we are leaving from the cruise terminal and driving straight to Disney...I'm hoping to get there around 10am (fingers crossed). The last time I went, we parked in Mickeys parking structure, and I was in the backseat and don't remember much. Will it be quicker and easier to do that, or should we try to park in Toy Story? Also, any suggestions on any must have treats? I have never had a dole whip, and that is totally at the top of my list! I am also thinking about trying the Beignets and a mint julep. I know there is a ton of information on this site, but this is my first time accessing the forums, and its kind of overwhelming to search for everything. Any help, ideas, suggestions that we can use to maximize our one day at Disney is appreciated. Oh, and also...I was thinking of getting the MAXPASS but I do not have a data plan on my phone. Does DL have wifi where I could access the fast pass features? And can you use one phone to get fastpasses for everyone in your group?

I'm moving this to the Disneyland (California) forum. That is where all the trip planning action happens. You'll get lots of good advice and suggestions there!

In answer to your question about the last day of the SoCal ticket promotion, yes, I'm afraid that day might be VERY crowded. Last year on the last day of the promotion, I think DL might have had a gate closure for a few hours in the afternoon (Thursday, May 25th?). You will still be able to have a great day with lots of fun, but it will take good planning and organization. You are doing the right thing to start asking questions here in advance of your trip!

If you are coming from south of DLR, it will probably be easier for you to park at Toy Story and take the free shuttles to the parks. (M&F is easier for those coming from north of the parks.)

Do you have Disney experience with any other park? You said you haven't been to DL in years, but have you been to WDW more recently? Just asking because sometimes it can help us to give you answers with something you can mentally reference.

Last edited:
I'm moving this to the Disneyland (California) forum. That is where all the trip planning action happens. You'll get lots of good advice and suggestions there!

In answer to your question about the last day of the SoCal ticket promotion, yes, I'm afraid that day might be VERY crowded. Last year on the last day of the promotion, I think DL might have had a gate closure for a few hours in the afternoon (Thursday, May 25th?). You will still be able to have a great day with lots of fun, but it will take good planning and organization. You are doing the right thing to start asking questions here in advance of your trip!

If you are coming from south of DLR, it will probably be easier for you to park at Toy Story and take the free shuttles to the parks. (M&F is easier for those coming from north of the parks.)

Do you have Disney experience with any other park? You said you haven't been to DL in years, but have you been to WDW more recently? Just asking because sometimes it can help us to give you answers with something you can mentally reference.
I'm sorry I thought I was on the Disneyland forum....I have never been to WDW...I have only ever been to DL and DCA a few times

Last edited by a moderator:

How do I get to the forum where you moved my question to?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm sorry I thought I was on the Disneyland forum....I have never been to WDW...I have only ever been to DL and DCA a few times

No worries! You were in the Community Forum, but the Trip Planning Forum will get you the answers you need more quickly. Good to know you haven't yet been to WDW -- then we won't give you any answers referring to that park. When was the last time you visited DLR?

How do I get to the forum where you moved my question to?

You're already there! I moved you when I answered you the first time. :) Click on the forum titled "Disneyland (California)" -- that will get you to your thread.

Last edited:
Last year, one of my co-workers was there on the last weekend of the Southern California promotion. It was the most crowded days she has ever experienced at Disneyland.
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201705/5579/

You might fare better because you are going on a Thursday instead of the weekend. I am not familiar with how the rest of the week went, crowdwise.

Regarding wi-fi, the coverage is very limited at Disneyland, so I would recommend adding a data plan to one phone. You can make Maxpass reservations for your entire group from a single device. If you decide to rely on wi-fi, here is a list of places where you can get connected: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/internet-wifi/

I would manage expectations about maximizing your visit if it ends up being really crowded. Have a great time, enjoy the atmosphere, and don't worry about experiencing everything! There is no wrong way to do Disneyland, except in stress mode.

I used the wifi for maxpass despite reading all the horror stories about how terrible it was. ....yep it's not great at all but it is usable. You have to go to a wifi point though, it is not usable throughout the park. The best ones are one near big thunder, one outside haunted mansion and one under the observatron in tomorrowland. I would say definitely get maxpass, you will need it if only there for a day especially with coming in late.

The only issue with your plan is once things get crowded I find it best to just go to the area with the lowest wait times or do a non ride like Tom Sawyer or a show - and this might not be in the area of the park you are currently in. If you accept that you can't see/ do everything you will be happier, decide which non fast pass rides are priorities, although depending on opening time they might already have long waits when you get there. Maxpass is awesome and helps a ton. We once did 5 day hoppers and didn't get to everything with our kids, but they needed a daily nap and were tapped out by 8:30 or so.

I was there on the last day of the SoCal promotion and it was truly insane. It was to date the most crowded I have ever personally seen in the parks.

MaxPass is a must, as well as a very laid-bank attitude about this visit. The crowds might become very frustrating and you might not be able to do the things you want to. This will be compounded by the fact that you will arriving later morning on a EMH day rather than rope drop on a non-EMH day.

Is there any possibility of spending the day at DCA instead of DL?
My boys LOVE California Adventure more than Disneyland. I know it seems strange - but to them all the Cars and Pixar stuff is so much more exciting than the old school Disney stuff. They would be able to do all rdes (except incredicoaster)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter