Please explain Max Pass to a WDW FP+ frquent user

piratepride

Mouseketeer
First timer to DL. We have been to WDW several times over the past dozen years. Can you tell me how Max Pass works and the differences between it and Walt Disney World's FP+. Thanks!

So, MaxPass is basically just like the old paper FP system where you would go to a kiosk and scan your ticket to receive a ticket with a return time, except you can use your phone to pull them instead. As soon as you are scanned into the park that day you can start making FastPasses through the app at either park. Once you confirm a selection, you can get another one after a certain amount of time has passed (I do not know the exact amount of time - I think a hour) or once you use the one you made. If you do it right you can use a lot of FastPasses! You can hold several FastPasses at once, but you can't have more than one for the same attraction at the same time. Some of the most popular stuff will start to show late return times or run out completely eventually depending on how busy it is.

One note about FP at DLR is that not all rides have it at all. When WDW went to FP+ they added it to almost every single attraction. At DLR the selection is limited, mostly for the "bigger" rides. Things like Peter Pan and the other Fantasyland type stuff do not offer FP at all. Also, for shows you will still have to go to the proper kiosk and pull a paper ticket (Fantasmic!, World of Color, Frozen Live at the Hyperion). These FPs are not connected to your ride FPs and don't hinder your next selection time.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
SO, MaxPass is basically just like the old paper FP system where you would go to a kiosk and scan your ticket to receive a ticket with a return time, except you can use your phone to pull them instead. As soon as you are scanned into the park that day you can start making FastPasses through the app at either park. Once you confirm a selection, you can get another one after a certain amount of time has passed (I do not know the exact amount of time - I think a hour) or once you use the one you made. If you do it right you can use a lot of FastPasses! You can hold several FastPasses at once, but you can't have more than one for the same attraction at the same time.Some of the most popular stuff will start to show late return times or run out completely eventually depending on how busy it is.

One note about FP at DLR is that not all rides have it at all. When WDW went to FP+ they added it to almost every single attraction. At DLR the selection is limited, mostly for the "bigger" rides. Things like Peter Pan and the other Fantasyland type stuff do not offer FP at all. Also, for shows you will still have to go to the proper kiosk and pull a paper ticket (Fantasmic!, World of Color, Frozen Live at the Hyperion). These FPs are not connected to your ride FPs and don't hinder your next selection time.

Hope that helps.
Yes it does....thanks!!!

Another feature that we enjoyed was the ability to continue to booked fast passes using MaxPass when no longer in the park - so if you take a break mid day - you can continue to book fast passes for when you plan to return and return in the evening with several fast passes. This works well with the more popular rides as their return times tend to become much later in the day once mid afternoon arrives. I would set a timer on my phone when I booked a fastpass to remind me when I can book another.

The timing to get a new FP depends on the return time for the one you just got.

If you get one that has a return time within 30 minutes, you can get a new FP either in 30 minutes, or once you use the previous one.
If you get one that has a return time in 30-90 minutes, you can get a new FP when that return time starts.
If you get one with a return time later than 90 minutes, you can get a new one in 90 minutes.

You cannot search for a new FP until you are able to “pull” a new one. So you cannot modify an existing one-either use or cancel.

The timing to get a new FP depends on the return time for the one you just got.

If you get one that has a return time within 30 minutes, you can get a new FP either in 30 minutes, or once you use the previous one.
If you get one that has a return time in 30-90 minutes, you can get a new FP when that return time starts.
If you get one with a return time later than 90 minutes, you can get a new one in 90 minutes.

You cannot search for a new FP until you are able to “pull” a new one. So you cannot modify an existing one-either use or cancel.

That is super helpful. I never really realized what was going on with that, but sometimes I was surprised to see I could already pull an new ones, and other times I'd think I could, but was not yet able to. It's an awesome system though!

You're probably aware, but one thing that wasn't mentioned is that Max Pass is not free like FP+. It costs $10 per person per day. If you choose not to purchase it you can still pull paper FP. You will have to go to the kiosks to pull the paper passes without Max Pass. It can be time consuming, but it works fine . Also, paper FP have a wait of up to 2 hours instead of 90 minutes if your next FP is 2 or more hours out. Finally, Max Pass also includes all your digital photo downloads similar to Memory Maker at WDW but for just $10 a day. Even if you choose to use paper FP, it can be beneficial for one person to purchase Max Pass for the photos.

We just came back from DL and I bought the maxpass just for the photopass feature just for my ticket. I didn't use it for any fast passes because we were able to get the FPs we wanted the "old fashioned way." For $10 a day, just wanted the pictures. Unfortunately though, for the picture I wanted most, Splash Mountain, the cameras weren't working and we only rode once. I was really ticked off because it was the ride pictures that I really wanted...I also find that there are far fewer CMs taking pictures around the parks than there are at WDW. I also found that the DL app was not as efficient as the MDE app; I had to go to guest services to help link up my ticket to the app- it was a PITA- but it wasn't allowing me to add the ride codes or scan my ticket. I ended up having to add the pictures via the photopass website.

I did see online that when Jason Sudeikis and Olivia Wilde rode Splash Mountain over the weekend, the cameras seemed to be back working:headache::mad:

That all being said, I would still probably buy it again next time:flower1:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that w/ MaxPass, occasionally, a FP will appear for a ride where FPs have been "sold" out. So if you're lucky and fast, you can grab a FP where people using only the "paper" system can't. Another thing, for the "paper" fast pass, the paper distributed is no longer necessary to use to return. It's all linked to your ticket now. So you can't just give away unused FPs anymore.

There are great videos on youtube explaining it if you are a visual person like me :)

We used it last weekend and it worked flawlessly. To make things easier we had 2 of our party log into my app so we could both check for attraction waits, whether or not Splash was up & running or not, we could both scan at FP kiosks and park entry too.
twice we got the *MULTIPLE EXPERIENCES* pass when attractions went down during our FP window. That is a magic FP that allows you to do any ride any time of the day.
NOTE it does not include DCA attractions if it is for s DL ride. OOPS! we beelined over to GRR to use it whaile it was still hot out but the CM kindly let us go

We used it last weekend and it worked flawlessly. To make things easier we had 2 of our party log into my app so we could both check for attraction waits, whether or not Splash was up & running or not, we could both scan at FP kiosks and park entry too.
twice we got the *MULTIPLE EXPERIENCES* pass when attractions went down during our FP window. That is a magic FP that allows you to do any ride any time of the day.
NOTE it does not include DCA attractions if it is for s DL ride. OOPS! we beelined over to GRR to use it whaile it was still hot out but the CM kindly let us go
We had a CM kindly let us use a Multi Exp from DL on Guardians. She asked us to tell her the names of all the guardians and also explained that the multi Exp are only for the park they're issued in.

My husband and I also both use the app. This is very helpful for us as you have to scan to use FP. We are usually ride swapping and since we can use the app to scan we can leave the physical tickets with the non riding adult to pull the next FP since only I have MP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter