Plant Question

Kirby

DIS Veteran
We built our home 13 years ago but never really did any landscaping except for planting trees. Now we're finally getting around to talking about putting in flower beds across the front. Our house faces northeast. It gets a lot of shade but not enough for full shade plants. I'm not real sure what to plant there.

Any suggestions? Flowers, bushes?

Hostas are good, in shade and somewhat shady places, and they are very easy to grow. They are perrenials, as are coneflowers. Coneflowers don't grow as well in shade, but if they get some sun, they do alright.

Also, this is a great time to plant fall bulbs, you'll get lots of pretty flowers there the first year.

I always plant impatiens in my north facing areas, or in dappled shade, these are annuals.

Bobbi:flower1:

Daylilies do well in part sun. I love coralbells and foamflowers, as well as astilbe, which all do well in part sun/part shade. Liriope (monkeygrass) also likes sun/shade conditions. Cranesbill geraniums are also nice (not sure of your zone, so I really don't know which of these does well in your area.)

I love lilies especially Tiger Lilies. I forgot about those. My grandma used to plant hers on the north side of her house. They would do well here. Thanks for reminding me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter