Planning Trip for January

KathyFP

<font color=green>You mean there is more to the so
We (myself, DH and DD (8)) will be in San Diego in January.

I am usually a good planner, but the more I read, the more confised I get. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

We will arrive Jan 19 early morning and are renting a car.

We want to go to Sea World - Universal - Animal Park. Do we spend the weekend at the conference hotel or is it better to stay at a theme park affliated hotel?

I am at a conference during the week. DH & DD have time to explore the area. Suggestions for a 8 year old girl??

Then the next weekend, we want to go to Disneyland. We are not sure where to stay?

What is the cheapest way to do tickets? Do I get the City Pass or use other discounts? Is Disneyland cheaper when buying a package with hotel?

Any special rental car discounts??

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

In your case, the City Pass is perfect. Remember, Universal is in Hollywood, which is about 2-3 (traffic dependent) north of San Diego. It's north of Anaheim as well, so you'd probably want to wait to go there after move up to Anaheim. I don't think Sea World has an affiliated hotel, but there's many relatively nearby. For DL, there's a plethora of hotel choices, many right across the street. No need to stay onsite as many offsite are cheaper and actually closer than 2 of the 3 DLR hotels.

The Mission Bay area is right by Sea World, has a number of hotels, and feels very resorty. Don't forget to put the SD Zoo on your list.

Kathy - I would strongly suggest that you also make Dining Reservations for your day at the park. Sometimes the lines for lunch and dinner (if you are going to eat at the park) are even longer than the attraction rides. The number to call is 714.781.3463. You can book breakfast at Plaza Inn (which is a little expensive, but Disney Characters roam the dining room, so it's a great photo opp for the kids without any lines), and lunch/dinner at Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans.

I live in San Diego, and to be honest, have never been a huge fan of Sea World or the Zoo; it might be worth it to check out the Wild Animal Park instead. The SD Zoo is nice, but the Wild Animal Park is better in my opinion.

I have stayed at the Carousel Inn across the street from Disneyland; it is definitely a bargain and a great location; the Sheraton on Harbour Drive is about 4 blocks away, but very clean and kept up well. If you want bargain basement pricing, Abby's Anaheimer Inn fits the bill (with Triple A discount usually under $70), but is definitely not the cleanest place in the world!

Have a great time!

Thanks for all of the information. I think we are going to do the wild animal park instead of the zoo. DD (8) has asked Santa for the $150. to swim with the dolphins at Sea World. A dream she has had since she was 2.

Thanks again!

At Sea World, you do not actually get to swim with the dolphins. It more of a training session. Yes, your daughter will be in the water with them, but she and the others in her group will be standing on a ledge and giving commands to the dolphins and rewarding them when the dolphins do the correct thing.

In San Diego we love to stay at the paradise point resort and spa, kinda spendy in the summer, but it is so relaxing. We actually like the zoo better the the wild animal park, depends on what you like, with the train ride at the wild animal park it was hard for dd to see the aminals, and she loved the panda's at the zoo. Have a great time. At DL we stayed off site at HOJO last time and loved it.. Sometimes in January you can get a good rate at DLh which is our fav.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter