Planning stages for our California Trip!

diskids2

<font color=CC66CC>Not above grovelling for a tag
Hi Everyone!

My family is going to visit California for the first time. DH, me, DD - 21 and DS - 17.

Let me just say.....I NEED HELP!;)

I think I can plan a WDW trip with my eyes closed, but that is not the case for California.

Here is what we are thinking so far.....

12 days.....July

Two travel days to/from California to New York
Three days in San Francisco
Three days in Los Angeles/Anaheim
Three days in San Diego
One more day to get us around ?????

I have a few preliminary questions...

1. What order should be do this?
2. Should we stay in a DL hotel? We plan on doing one day for DL and one day for CA...our third day in LA would be spent sight seeing....
3. See number two...is one more day for LA enough time to see some stuff and shop around Rodeo Drive?
4. If we should stay onsite .... what does everyone prefer...Grand California or one of the other two (I'm not going to say money is no object...but we have a pretty extensive budget for this trip).
5. If we should not stay onsite...any recommendations for a hotel in LA?
6. I have a hotel choice for San Diego....Hotel Del....is this close to Seaworld and the SanDiego Zoo?
7. I need recommendations for SanFrancisco hotels?
8. Should I drive or fly from/to LA and SanFrancisco?
9. If you could pick one or two restaurants to try in each of those cities what would they be?
10. Is three days enough in each of those cities?

I just want to thank everyone in advance for helping me plan this trip for my 50th birthday!!!!!!!!:cool1:

I'll comment on your hotel choices. Of the three at DL, I would recommend the Grand Californian. It feels more like the resorts at WDW. As far as the Hotel Del, it is on Coronado Island and you will have to cross the Coronado Bridge to get into San Diego. Then, either Sea World or the Zoo is a short 10 - 15 minute drive. I would plan a day at each park.

Since it takes several hours to get from LA to SF, I would recommend flying so you don't use up an entire day (if not 2) in driving, however, you will miss a lot of beautiful coastline.

3 days in each city will feel rushed, especially LA and SF.

I'll comment on your hotel choices. Of the three at DL, I would recommend the Grand Californian. It feels more like the resorts at WDW. As far as the Hotel Del, it is on Coronado Island and you will have to cross the Coronado Bridge to get into San Diego. Then, either Sea World or the Zoo is a short 10 - 15 minute drive. I would plan a day at each park.

Since it takes several hours to get from LA to SF, I would recommend flying so you don't use up an entire day (if not 2) in driving, however, you will miss a lot of beautiful coastline.

3 days in each city will feel rushed, especially LA and SF.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm not sure I want to cross the Coronado bridge to get to the parks. Do you recommend any other hotels that are closer and nice?

I had a feeling three days was going to be too quick. I think we are going to have to cut out one of these cities...I just don't know which one. I can't extend the trip past 12 days...any suggestions on which city to cut out?

This is so helpful...thanks again!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I'm not sure I want to cross the Coronado bridge to get to the parks. Do you recommend any other hotels that are closer and nice?

I had a feeling three days was going to be too quick. I think we are going to have to cut out one of these cities...I just don't know which one. I can't extend the trip past 12 days...any suggestions on which city to cut out?

This is so helpful...thanks again!

The bridge isn't bad and the Hotel Del is one of the best. Otherwise, you might want to look at some resort hotels near Mission Beach or Shelter Island.

Well it is your birthday and your kids (practically adults) are older so it depends on what you want to see. For ease of convenience, I'd recommend cutting out San Francisco because it's going to cause you a day of travel and concentrate on Southern CA.

Fly between SF and LA, driving is 7-8 hrs. or longer. SF is a beautiful city. I'd visit Union square for shopping, Golden Gate park and the De Young for art and the japanese garden. Maybe grab a boat to Alcatraz to see/appreciate the bay @ pier 39. Visit Japan town and China town. Ride a cable car! I love SF, but I haven't worked there for years, so can't give current advise re: restaurants/hotels.
I think I'd fly in to SF, then fly to SD and drive from SD to DL/LA.
day 1 fly to SFO
days 2-3 SF
day 4 fly SFO to SD
day 5-6 SD
day 7 drive SD to DL
day 8-11 DL & LA.

I'm the opposite and would cut out San Diego (I know, alot of groans) but northern and southern CA are so different.
Day 1 and 2
If you can catch an early flight, that would give you more time the first day. I'd do 2 days in SF and rent a car. Go across the Golden Gate, go down Lombard Street, ride a cable car (52 and that is something I have never done and want to), Pier 39.

Day 3
I'd leave early and drive down toward Monterey, Carmel and down the coast (will be a 9-10 hour drive but lots of stops to take pictures and look around). We saw dolphins swimming by the beach in Carmel.

Day 4
I'd get a hotel in the Hollywood area by Universal. Warner Bros is an excellent tour as it's more of a real life tour. See some of Sunset Blvd, check out Graumans, Disney ice cream shop, hot dogs at Pinks (is that what it's called off of Melrose?)
Day 5
Rodeo Drive, drive around Mulhulland Drive down into Malibu, whichever beach is your preference (we go to Venice or Santa Monica but I know others like Huntington)
Day 6
Maybe Universal? (or maybe an extra day on day 3 to stop off in Pismo Beach to spend the night to break that drive up). I can make it in 8 hours but I don't stop along the way.
Day 7-11
Disneyland and if money is no object or pretty good, definitely Grand Californian.

I agree - skip SD
Sea World is okay if you like whales. The zoo? while it is an amazing zoo, it is still, just a zoo.

My kids would want to spend the time on the beach surfing and boogie boarding over wandering around a zoo or watching a whale jump thru a hoop.

IMO add a day to LA or to SFO it is worth it.

I would also skip SD. Don't get me wrong, I love SD! However, your schedule is too short to do all three cities. You'll enjoy your trip much more. I also would drive from SF to LA. Airports take so much time today and with possible delays, I would just drive. And by taking out SD, it gives you the flexibility to drive.

pp sasywtch has a pretty good itineray. And definitely the Grand Californian!

I would also skip SD. Don't get me wrong, I love SD! However, your schedule is too short to do all three cities. You'll enjoy your trip much more. I also would drive from SF to LA. Airports take so much time today and with possible delays, I would just drive. And by taking out SD, it gives you the flexibility to drive.

pp sasywtch has a pretty good itineray. And definitely the Grand Californian!

Thanks!, I thought I would get lots of groans about cutting out San Diego. The older my kids got, the less zoo/marine type parks they wanted to do. Riding on a cable car or going down Lombard even if you rent a taxi really isn't anything you can do anywhere else. I have been known to block traffic and have someone jump out of the car in SF to buy a loaf of sourdough before heading home :goodvibes

I know people say the wharf is touristy but I love walking down, eating the sourdough, getting shrimp in the cup and watching the performers.

I had friends in OK who said they went to LA and would never go to CA again. I asked them if they went to northern Ca and they always said no. It's like the state is cut in two (love LA, it's MY tourist destination but northern CA is less crowded, more scenic in my opinion---unless you are driving down I-5).

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter