Planning for Star Wars.......

Kanedax321

Earning My Ears
New to the board (Hi!) so I'm sure this has already been discussed, so please refer me to another board if possible.

My wife and I are planning to go to WDW for our 5 year anniversary in December 2019. By that time I know Galaxy's Edge will be open, which I can only assume will draw Harry-Potter-like crowds.

Are there any predictions about how difficult it will be to get into an on-property hotel when that opens up? Any predictions about upsurges in attendance at the other parks compared to non-giant attraction years? We're weighing between getting our reservations ASAP (499 days or when the 2019 prices are released) or waiting until 2019 to see what kind of deals are available.

Welcome to the DIS! I would be surprised if you can book a hotel that far out already. Unless booking that far out is going to be a "guest enhancement" privilege: buy a magical-opportunity ticket that will put you in for a chance at staying at the hotel. DVC and AP get two for one! :duck:

When the opportunity to reserve opens, why not just reserve when you can, assuming there are amenable cancellation policies. As far as attendance, every single Star Wars super-geek I know is saving up to stay a night or two at the new immersive hotel. I expect it to be "Hamilton" tough to get in the first months/year. Double that around Star Wars Celebration, if the two happen to coincide.

For the new land, Galaxy's Edge (SW:GE), I do expect it to be more attended than Pandora. My super-academic premise :groom: is that Star Wars has entertained for over 40 years, and Pandora has entertained since Fern Gully- I mean Avatar. Not every family will enjoy SW:GE, there's Toy Story Land and other options. I think though, take a look at how the Frozen ride went, and take a look at how Flight of Passage went. Those rides still have huge draws, and those movies don't have the history that SW does. Not every family will want to be there, but I'm betting my galactic credits that it will have a wider draw for a longer period.
Of course- I could be wrong and SW is too sci-fi-nerd-niche. I hope I am wrong.... Moar Falcon for Me!!! :lovestruc :jester:

PS: I realized I didn't answer on the other parks attendance question. I don't think I have enough info personally to offer better insight than-- there will lots of folks for SW:GE, whether that means they also want to go to MK, Epcot and so on depends on their budget and time. So while one park might see a big increase, it may or may not transfer to other parks. I defer to my DIS colleagues for their insights and experiences on parks and on-property hotels.

Last edited:
New to the board (Hi!) so I'm sure this has already been discussed, so please refer me to another board if possible.

My wife and I are planning to go to WDW for our 5 year anniversary in December 2019. By that time I know Galaxy's Edge will be open, which I can only assume will draw Harry-Potter-like crowds.

Are there any predictions about how difficult it will be to get into an on-property hotel when that opens up? Any predictions about upsurges in attendance at the other parks compared to non-giant attraction years? We're weighing between getting our reservations ASAP (499 days or when the 2019 prices are released) or waiting until 2019 to see what kind of deals are available.

I don't think anyone has predictions other than their personal opinions and thoughts on the matter. So, I'll give my opinion, LOL! If you look at park and attraction attendance surges when new lands/rides have opened in recent years (New Fantasyland, the Anna/Elsa meet and greet prior to their current location, FEA and now Pandora and FoP), I think we can expect to see HUGE (and I mean, super, duper BIG) crowds at DHS. Star Wars is far, far more popular than Avatar and the crowds for Pandora have been really big. I think we can expect Star Wars crowds to be even bigger. Will it affect attendance at the other parks? Most likely as, I would imagine, those going to see Galaxy's Edge will make their way to the other parks as well.

If you definitely want to go and you know where you want to stay, you might as well make a reservation as soon as they become available to have something locked in. That will not preclude you from taking advantage of any discounts that come out. Simply keep your eye out for any discounts that are released. If your resort reservation is in the discount inventory, you can modify your reservation at that time. If it isn't, but another resort you are interested in is included, you can always switch resorts.

Make your reservation as soon as you can. Now for me we are going in 2018 so the boss (daughter) has decided 2021 for the next one and yes she knows I will be in my major Star Wars mode the whole time. I am trying to negotiate 3 days at HS instead of our normal 2.

We're weighing between getting our reservations ASAP (499 days or when the 2019 prices are released) or waiting until 2019 to see what kind of deals are available.

I would definitely book at 499 days. You'll pay one night's room charge at the time of reservation and there is really no downside to advance reserving. Final payment due at check-in and you can cancel up to 5 days in advance of arrival and get a full refund of your deposit. This is the current policy for room-only reservations so unless that changes you can know that you have a reservation and can watch for future room discounts to be applied if available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter