Planning for Feb 2020 trip- lots of Qs.

DC in DC

Earning My Ears
Hi! I am new to these boards. We are planning to take the kids to Disneyland/California Adventure over the President's Day week in 2020 (Feb 18-20). We haven't done Disney World, so this is all new to us.

Two kids (older will be in 4th, loves big thrill rides, Star Wars; younger is in K, into princesses etc and does not like any scary rides). I assume we'll be splitting up a lot! Some questions:

I've tentatively decided on doing 3 day park-hopper, but I've heard from some folks that really 2 days is plenty to do both parks. I assume a third day makes sense given the addition of Star Wars and associated crowds?

Will my younger child get anything out of California Adventure?

Is park hopper really that important?

I assume (based on crowd calendars) that the best 3 days to do of this week would be Tues-Weds-Thurs?

Can you do park hopper for only 1 day? It didn't look like that was a configuration available (i.e. 2 days, 1 park only; third day, park hopper), short of buying a 2 day tickets and then a 1 day park hopper.

Tentatively planning on staying at the Courtyard.

Anything else I need to do to start planning this far out?

Thank you!!

DC in DC

Welcome to the DIS Boards! First of all, here are some links for very helpful planning information:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- this is a sticky at the top of the first page -- you'll find LOTS of great information here!
The Courtyard gets great reviews here, but here is some more info in case you need it:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/
Regarding crowd calendars (which are notoriously unreliable at DLR):
Just a friendly reminder about crowd calendars..
Most accurate crowd calendars?

A 3+ day ticket will give you a MM in DL (FL and TL) on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday. That one hour early entry can be a really useful time to get a lot done, especially for FL rides that aren't on the FP system. Some people do say that 2 days is enough, but with younger kids (and if you want a more relaxed pace that includes character meal/s, shows, parades, atmosphere, re-doing favorites, shopping, character M&Gs, etc), I think more days is better.
Park hopping is a breeze at DLR and can be a great way to experience the parks. We hop just for food if something we want is in the other park! But with younger kids, hopping isn't always absolutely necessary. Do a little more research here to see if it will work well for your family's style. One thing to consider, though, is that if one park gets too crowded, hopping lets you escape to the other park. For multi-day tickets, you must park hop for all days or none.
As noted in the threads above, crowd calendars aren't reliable for DLR (they are more of a WDW tool). At the time of year you're planning to visit, DLR will be on the non-peak schedule. That means shorter hours, lower staffing, rides running at lower capacity, less entertainment, etc. Nighttime shows and fireworks usually run on weekends only (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). WOC should run every night if it isn't on hiatus. If fireworks and F! matter to you (and your kids might really enjoy these), think about including a weekend day in your schedule. Weekends are not the nightmares that the crowd calendars make them out to be. Depending on the AP blockout calendar (i.e. if the lower passes are blocked out), weekends/Saturdays can be pretty nice.
DCA has the Little Mermaid ride, Cars Land (a must see!), Monsters Inc., the Frozen show, the Animation Academy, Jesse's Carousel, etc. -- younger could have a very fun time.

Hi there,

* I assume we'll be splitting up a lot!
Probably, yes. I remember those days of splitting off the little kids from the bigger ones! Now ours are all able to go on the same things.

* I've heard from some folks that really 2 days is plenty to do both parks
2 days is plenty, but the extra day is nice too. All depends on how much time you want to spend there. You'll have a wonderful time with 2 or 3 days.

* Will my younger child get anything out of California Adventure?
Yes, for sure. Cars Land is outstanding. You will want to go to California Adventure even just for you and you'll find lots for your K to enjoy there. Maybe re-watch Cars before you go so the connection is fresh.

* Is park hopper really that important?
No, it's not that important. Especially if you have 3 days. You could spend 2 days at Disneyland, 1 day at California Adventure with plenty of time for everything. Hopper is more useful if you're only doing 2 days so you can split one, and spend the other day at Disneyland. It gets you a little more time there. They're nice, fun to have, but definitely not necessary. If it's a tradeoff on money, I'd put the hopper money toward that 3rd day.

* the best 3 days to do of this week would be Tues-Weds-Thurs?
Those are good. Weekends tend to be busier. I don't really fret busy vs non-busy, but you're talking February, so school is in full swing and mid-week will be better than weekends.

* Can you do park hopper for only 1 day
The hopper will match your tickets. To do it just one day you'd have to split your tickets and that wouldn't be worth it.

* Anything else I need to do to start planning this far out?
Not really. Just read up, enjoy the anticipation! Maybe get some maps to pour over? If you'd like some drop me a PM we're going later this month and be happy to grab an extra set for ya. Get your hotel and flights, that's about all you have to do. Then around 3 months out you might want to firm up some plans since you can book most things at 2 months out. For our trip, we are going for 2.5 days, no hoppers but will get MaxPass (but buy it there so we can buy it for only 2 out of the 3 days). HTH!

... * the best 3 days to do of this week would be Tues-Weds-Thurs?
Those are good. Weekends tend to be busier. I don't really fret busy vs non-busy, but you're talking February, so school is in full swing and mid-week will be better than weekends...
For the time the OP is planning to go, many local schools have the whole week off -- that makes the parks very busy. Weekends are not always busier -- it depends on the AP blockout calendar and other events. When the lower APs are blocked, Saturdays can be really good days. For example, during the summer blockout last year, Saturdays were routinely one of the best days in the parks.​

I suggest investing in a travel guide like the Unofficial Guide. They have lots of tricks and tips that I learned, despite reading the forums on a regular basis. They also rank each attraction by age, and it's pretty accurate based on feedback from my partner and kids. This will give you some insights into what attractions your kids will like most based on their age group.

You don’t have to go on consecutive days. If you can go on a Saturday or Sunday then maybe tues to wed it could be good. I agree to check out the block out calendar. Plus, with holiday weekend it’s going to be busy.

3 days minimum. If you can go 4 or 5 do it. With a single park per day if you need to for budget reasons.

We went same time this year and there were a lot of schools out. Rain kept more people away and the morning hours are great for getting lots done. Have so much fun! And you can never go wrong with MORE disney days!

I'm not sure how it will be for February 2020, but this year, there were a lot of refurbs in the winter months. So as time goes on, make sure to check the refurb calendar, and be aware that Disneyland adds things to it on short notice. There will still be plenty of things to do, but it's something take note of going during the "off season".

As far as DCA and your younger child, I say YES. While she may not be up for Incredicoaster, GOTG and the like it sounds like the Frozen show and possibly Disney Jr. show would be up her alley. There's rides for younger kids too- all of Carsland is a must do so 3 rides there, Toy Story Midway Mania is awesome, can't miss Ariel's Undersea Adventure if she loves princesses, Monsters Inc., Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (not really a ride but a great area to explore), and she may enjoy Soarin' and the Pixar Pal-Around as well. The Animation building will also be a good stop- Anna & Elsa meet and greet, then your older one might like the Animation Academy while the younger might like Turtle Talk with Crush. World of Color is awesome so definitely stay for that in the evening.

I'd do 3 day and park hopper if you can swing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter