Planning for a friend who's never been

lacool

The second mouse gets the cheese!
I'm bringing a friend down for Food and Wine Festival and beyond eating and drinking our way around Epcot, I don't even know how to start planning what else to do! I need to find out what she likes so I know what to plan for (rides or no rides, characters or avoid them completely, etc).

I was thinking of getting her a guidebook, so that she is familiar with all of the options out there, but knowing that not everyone is as mad about the magic as I am, I was thinking the Unofficial Guide might be a bit overwhelming. Any suggestions of guidebooks or starting points for a Disney newbie?

I've found Youtube videos are great to show folks whats out there and what they may or may not like. There's billions of them as well.

I like this book. - very good for first timers!

https://www.amazon.com/************...mv-20&linkId=b888db402dc50b5059bb14654484c7ba

Have her come over, open a bottle of wine, and plan it together. Let her be a part of the planning process. If you try to force your plan on her, there could be some hurt feelings.

If she is part of the planning, she will have some idea of what goes into managing a Disney trip. And will be better accepting of plan B if things start to unravel.

We are doing some planning with my brother and his family this weekend. They have pretty much just said we will just do what you do, but getting their input on the decisions is going to be important. They have never been so they have no idea the possibilities. We will do our best to lay out alternatives without vomiting everything we know about WDW in one sitting. :) Planning is part of the fun!

I definitely want her input in the planning, but was thinking that a very introductory guidebook before the conversation would give her some idea of what's available, and give me some idea of other things she might be interested in.

The Birmbaum guide is a fun one that introduces the reader to Disney World without getting too intimidating or nitty gritty.
I last read it in 2007, before my first trip there in 8 years, and it was like I was taking a mini vacation each time I read a chapter. It just walks the reader throughout Disney World, keeping the advice to a minimum, while also being helpful and descriptive.

If she cares and she may not, she has access to the same info that you do. Often we assume that our guests are as nutz about Disney as we are and in only one trip, most won't even begin to understand what's available.

:earsboy: Bill

We just traveled with a friend for his first trip in December. At first I consulted with him about food, rides, hotel, asking if he has preferences, likes and dislikes, I even ordered him a guidebook. I quickly learned he didn't care one bit and was fine letting me make all the plans as I was used to. My goal at that point was try not to overwhelm and let the magic happen naturally. Fast forward to day 1 and 2 of the trip and he was tired, exhausted and overwhelmed. By day 3 he warmed up and now, one month after our trip, he is awaiting ROFR on his first DVC contract. So I have no regrets about my methods. Get a feel for her interest if she isn't really into the planning, just do what you normally do and what you think she likes. If she is into it, then even better. Good luck!

A few years ago we took my wife's brother and his husband to WDW. They live near Disneyland and thought they knew the ropes. The first morning, they showed up with flip-flops and two heavy camera bags. We sent them back for walking shoes and one camera with no extra lenses. At the end of the first day, boy, did they thank us!

My cousins and my aunt were very happy to have me do the planning. The picked the restaurant for the Candlelight Processional, Germany, and said they wanted to do the Safari, AK was not built when they were last in WDW. We had a great time.

I would first find out how much she wants to be involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter