Planning a Vegas/Grand Canyon Trip for May, 2018

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by happily single, Dec 28, 2017.

1. happily single

happily single <font color=royalblue>Left foot first!<br><font co

As the title states, I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Vegas and Grand Canyon to celebrate my dd21'st birthday. It will be me (adult-no age needed), dd21, ds19 and ds13.

I don't need much help with the Vegas part as I have been several times (although I am open to suggestions).

I need help figuring the Grand Caynon part. It is easier/better to rent a car and drive? Take a tour? Should we stay overnight at the Grand Canyon? If so, where?

I am hoping for 2-3 days in Vegas and then 1-2 days at the Canyon.

Thanks in advance

2. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

I would say staying overnight is better. Staying in Tusayan (a mile from the entrance) isn't bad though, but right in the park would of course be better. However, since the last time I went, the options are more limited than they used to be.

If you can book early enough, I think the Bright Angel cabins are in an ideal location.

3. happily single

happily single <font color=royalblue>Left foot first!<br><font co

Thank you

4. Tikitoi

Tikitoi DIS Veteran

We're doing this same thing, except California is included too, but we are staying in Tusayan. Wanted to stay at El Tovar but is booked for our dates. We plan to do the drive, as I believe it is a 4-5 hour drive (depending on your driving style, too) from Grand Canyon to Vegas.

We're doing 2 nights at our hotel in the Grand Canyon. It has free shuttle to/from the Canyon. But who knows we may still drive there as it is very close.