Planning a Journey to the Land of the Rising Sun including a visit to Tokyo Disney!

Lifelong_Dreamer

DIS Veteran
Japan, a beautiful country that I have longed to visit for many years and now I am officially in the planning stages for this long awaited trip! Why is this planning thread for a trip to Japan on the Disney boards? Well, a Disney obsessed girl such as myself can't travel all the way to Japan and not spend a few days at the Tokyo Disney Resort!

I think I first started to become interested in Japan when I was growing up due to watching my favourite anime, Sailor Moon. That led to watching other anime and the Studio Ghibli movies which all further increased my interest in learning more about this country and its culture and history.

Now as an adult I still harbour a love for the above anime and movies but I am also interested in experiencing the history, culture, natural beauty and bustling cities of Japan!

I love travelling and I always have a list of places I want to visit. This is an issue as I want to travel pretty much everywhere! Next up on the list though is Japan!

Taking off on this adventure with me will be my brother Alek! We have been talking about this trip for years and now it is time to actually make it happen. Here we are on our last international trip to Turkey!

We(I) have been flip flopping over the time of year that we should visit - cherry blossom season or autumn. As much as my heart yearns to go during cherry blossom season my wallet and practicality tell me that autumn is probably the better option. So right now I do believe we are looking at November 2019.

A little about ourselves:

Me, Lessa, the main trip planner. I am a Registered Nurse and I work way too many hours but all in the name of my vacation fund! As stated above I want to travel the world and I am very excited that I will soon be able to add Japan to my list of countries visited. I am the main planner in my family and everybody else pretty much just goes along with whatever I tell them. This makes trip planning easy but stressful as I want to plan great trips that everybody will enjoy. It also makes it easy as I don't have a bunch of different people throwing different ideas at me all the time. I do try and include my family in my planning but I often get a "whatever you think is best" type of response.

Alek, my younger brother, the middle child in our family. Alek can read some Japanese and knows some basics when it comes to speaking the language which will be a huge help on the trip. He will keep me in check if I try and plan anything too extravagant. He is much more budget minded than I am. He will let me do most of the planning but I hope that he will give me input on top things that he wants to see and do. Alek is a jokester and always makes me laugh so I know that we will have a great time on this trip together!

Here are some teaser pictures that are clearly not my own as I haven't been on this trip yet! They are from google.

Last edited:
Following along! This sounds like a wonderful trip!

I think I first started to become interested in Japan when I was growing up due to watching my favourite anime, Sailor Moon. That led to watching other anime and the Studio Ghibli movies which all further increased my interest in learning more about this country and its culture and history.

Japan will be so great for you! Are you hoping to see the Studio Ghibli museum? (I think it's a museum)

Ok...so you aren't going to believe this - but I've spent the past couple weeks pricing out a trip to Tokyo - in November 2019! That'd be crazy if our trips overlapped!

Japan will be so great for you! Are you hoping to see the Studio Ghibli museum? (I think it's a museum)

We are definitely planning on it. It is one of our top things to do! It is indeed a museum in Tokyo. I briefly considered moving our trip back to 2023 so that we could go to the Studio Ghibli theme park that is getting built and see the new Disney additions but I decided to keep it in the 2019/2020 range. Too many things can happen in life and if we keep pushing back the trip waiting for this or that to open then we may never go!

Ok...so you aren't going to believe this - but I've spent the past couple weeks pricing out a trip to Tokyo - in November 2019! That'd be crazy if our trips overlapped!

Crazy coincidence! That would be amazing if our trip overlapped, Dis meet in Japan! :laughing:

When talking about a trip to Japan it has always been said that we would either go in the Fall to see all the autumn colours or in the Spring for cherry blossom season. Between the two times of year I was leaning towards cherry blossom season as it is so iconic Japan and I figured I would regret it if we didn't try and be there during that time. So it was either going to be Fall 2019 or Spring 2020.

Well, the other night on a midnight shift at work I decided to do a price comparison. I picked a non-Disney hotel that we might stay in during our Tokyo Disney portion of the trip and I priced it out. I picked 5 nights in November starting on a Sunday night and 5 nights at the end of March, same days of the week. It was $1200 more expensive to stay in the same hotel, same room, same nights of the week simply because it was cherry blossom season. We are looking to go for at least two weeks or more so at least $3600 more for just the hotel portion to go to Japan during the cherry blossom season. Taking in the extra cost, the fact that it will be more crowded and that there is no guarantee that we will pick the exact correct timing to see the cherry blossoms I concluded we would probably be better off to visit in the fall. That decision broke my heart a little bit as I am sure Japan is just dreamy during cherry blossom season.

Since we have settled on visiting in the Fall I did a search to find out when is the best time in the Fall to see the sights with all the autumn colours. From my research it looks as though their Fall extends into the beginning of December so we will probably time our trip for early to mid-November to try and hit it when the fall colours are in their full glory. Much like the cherry blossoms though there is no guarantee that we will pick the right time as it all depends on the weather. That being said I think we stand a pretty good chance of being there at the right time.

I have also made a decision regarding saving for this trip. I have decided that any overtime earnings that I make will be put aside for this vacation. I will try and resist the temptation of buying cute but unnecessary Kate Spade purses (my weakness and I have far too many) which is usually where my overtime money goes. :laughing: So far since returning from my WDW vacation at the end of June I have earned $450 in overtime. That pays for a third of my flight. :faint: :laughing:

Not my photos

Yeah, I keep trying to decide when to go... I think at least I settled on fall. Spring 2019 already has a WDW trip, plus now another probable one(!), and I don't know if I can wait all the way until Spring 2020!

But now I'm trying to decide between September-November! September would be warmer temps and have Halloween stuff; non-Disney may not be as crowded. November would be colder and have Christmas decorations (I do adore Christmas), but non-Disney could start to get the crowds... I may need to do what you did and price out hotels to see if there is a significant difference!

Following! My brother and I have been tentatively planning a Tokyo trip for someday. He works for the airlines so big discounts there and he's been to Tokyo before. Can't wait to hear more!

But now I'm trying to decide between September-November! September would be warmer temps and have Halloween stuff; non-Disney may not be as crowded. November would be colder and have Christmas decorations (I do adore Christmas), but non-Disney could start to get the crowds... I may need to do what you did and price out hotels to see if there is a significant difference!

It is hard to decide! From my reading if you want lower crowds all over and don't mind missing out on the fall foliage then October is a good time to go. For the fall colours November is the best but you get bigger crowds. Disney crowd levels I have heard tend to stay fairly steady as they do a heavy AP business so Monday-Friday in the parks are lighter and the weekends are a zoo.

How lucky to be able to have that airline connection for discounts. Looking at flight prices makes me ill. :laughing:
I've been flight shopping as well. I'm on the East Coast, for me the best deal looks like booking a round trip to Tokyo out of LAX and a separate flight to get to/from LAX.

Tokyo Disney

The Disney Parks are probably the part of the trip that you are most interested in considering this is the Disboards!

Being Disney obsessed there is no way that I could travel to Japan and not see the Disney Parks. I have read that the parks in Tokyo are the best of all Disney parks. I will have to experience them to see!

There are two parks at Tokyo Disney - Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea. I am really excited to visit both parks but especially for DisneySea as it seems so unique!

Ideally we would have four days to spend at Disney but depending on how much time we decide to take for the trip and our other Japan touring plans we may have to cut it down to two or three. I'm really going to try for four though as there is so much to experience!

The castle at Tokyo Disneyland looks to be very similar if not a carbon copy of the castle in Magic Kingdom.

I am super excited to see the Dreamlights parade, it looks amazing!

I am also very excited to eat at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. Just look at this place!

Tokyo DisneySea

Every time I read about this park or see pictures I want to just hop on the plane now and not have to wait a year and a half. It just looks so cool and beautiful!

I really hope we get to eat at Magellans while visiting DisneySea. It is supposed to be their top restaurant but I would go just because it looks beautiful.

Each park has some attractions that are similar to the North American parks but there are also many that are unique to Tokyo and I can't wait to experience them!

We will also be at the parks during their Christmas celebrations so we will get to see all the decorations.

Could these be any cuter???!!

There is so much to research and plan!!!

I've been flight shopping as well. I'm on the East Coast, for me the best deal looks like booking a round trip to Tokyo out of LAX and a separate flight to get to/from LAX.

I will have to look into that, would just be a pain to have to go through US Immigration and Canadian but if it will save a significant amount of money I would be willing to deal with that minor issue.

Tokyo Disney Resorts

I think the biggest expense we will have on this trip is accommodations. It doesn't help that I have expensive tastes and that Japan can be pretty pricey.

In my ideal world we will stay at one of the Tokyo Disney Resorts. There are four Disney hotels but I am really only considering two of them: Disneyland Hotel and the Miracosta.

In addition to the Disney hotels there are "Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotels" aka Good Neighbour hotels. These hotels are significantly cheaper than the Disney resorts and have great reviews. Of the official hotels I am considering the Hilton Tokyo Bay and the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel.

If I was making a decision purely based on budget we would be staying at the Hilton or the Sheraton. If I let my heart decide we will stay at a Disney Resort but which one?

Disneyland Hotel

The Disneyland Hotel is located right outside Tokyo Disneyland and has a beautiful Victorian design.

They have traditional rooms and newer character themed rooms. They all look beautiful!

Traditional Room

Beauty and the Beast Room

Cinderella Room

Alice in Wonderland Room

Tinker bell Room

The other Disney resort I am considering is the Hotel MiraCosta. This hotel is located INSIDE Tokyo DisneySea so if you really want to splurge you can get a room that looks out into the park and if you wanted you could watch Fantasmic and their other shows set on the lagoon from the luxury of your hotel room.

Also, check out the pool! So fancy!

Hilton Tokyo Bay

Just steps from the Disney Resort Monorail this hotel is a perfectly reasonable option as well. It is a Western style hotel so larger than normal rooms for Japan and it is usually priced well.

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay

Comparable to the Hilton in location and price. I would probably make my decision between the two based on which one was the better deal for the selected dates.

So as you can see the Hilton and Sheraton are nothing special but will do just fine if I decide to let the budget rule.

I will have a much harder time if we decide to splurge and stay at a Disney Resort as I am loving both the Disneyland and the Miracosta. If we decide to splurge I might have to book a split stay as much as I am not generally a fan of that idea.

If you were visiting Tokyo Disney which would you choose?

It's freaking Tokyo. It's not like I'll be back soon. Miracosta for me, I'm planning a May 2019 trip. Have you read the TRD Tokyo Disneyland guide ? Getting the dates you want can be a challenge not unlike getting dinner reservations at WDW's Cinderellas Castle. Plus booking with foreign credit cards can be an issue.

Also don't forget, staying on property gets you early entry and extra Fastpasses (at a price)

In addition to the Disney hotels there are "Tokyo Disney Resort Official Hotels" aka Good Neighbour hotels. These hotels are significantly cheaper than the Disney resorts and have great reviews. Of the official hotels I am considering the Hilton Tokyo Bay and the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel.
Oh I know! I think I've decided on Hilton Tokyo Bay. If I could, I would love to do Miracosta; Disneyland Hotel seems nice, but not as unique as a place as Miracosta. But since it would cost me more for 1 night than the entire stay at the Hilton... I just can't justify it! Plus you still get great views of the park from either of those hotels! Maybe on a future trip... Plus, they are making that new super-luxury hotel with the TDS expansion, which I don't know if I'd be able to resist!

I did look at availability for both Disney Hotels on the website - any theme park view room at Miracosta was gone instantly!

They also have the Ambassador Hotel, which may be slightly cheaper, but still $$$

It's freaking Tokyo. It's not like I'll be back soon. Miracosta for me, I'm planning a May 2019 trip. Have you read the TRD Tokyo Disneyland guide ? Getting the dates you want can be a challenge not unlike getting dinner reservations at WDW's Cinderellas Castle. Plus booking with foreign credit cards can be an issue.

Also don't forget, staying on property gets you early entry and extra Fastpasses (at a price)

I have heard about the credit card issue. Here's hoping by the time my booking window opens in June 2019 that everything works ok. My plan of action will be to be on the website as soon as the window opens and attempt the booking and cross my fingers that my credit card works and that there is availability. If we can't I will just keep checking back but we will be fine if we end up having to stay at the Hilton etc.

I am of the same opinion as you, this is probably a once in a lifetime trip or at least a trip that will not be repeated for quite some time so may as well have the full experience! My brother may be of a different opinion. He is a bit more practically minded than I am when it comes to budget and picking hotels. :laughing:

I've been slowly going through TDR Explorer and Disney Tourist Blog. I'm not doing too much Disney research yet as that is the one thing we know for certain we are doing so currently I am trying to figure out where exactly in Japan we want to go outside of Tokyo and Kyoto. Then I can plan out a time line. Right now I am thinking 5 days Tokyo, 5 days Kyoto, 4 days Disney and a few more days for other areas. That is a very rough outline though and the allocated days may increase or decrease based on what we decide to do in those areas. We will end our Japan trip at Disney so have to decide on everything else before we can do any really serious Disney planning.

Oh I know! I think I've decided on Hilton Tokyo Bay. If I could, I would love to do Miracosta; Disneyland Hotel seems nice, but not as unique as a place as Miracosta. But since it would cost me more for 1 night than the entire stay at the Hilton... I just can't justify it! Plus you still get great views of the park from either of those hotels! Maybe on a future trip... Plus, they are making that new super-luxury hotel with the TDS expansion, which I don't know if I'd be able to resist!

I did look at availability for both Disney Hotels on the website - any theme park view room at Miracosta was gone instantly!

They also have the Ambassador Hotel, which may be slightly cheaper, but still $$$

I admire your willpower! :laughing: It will be interesting to see what I end up doing. I think the final decision on which hotel to stay at will be determined once I find out how much everything else on our trip is going to cost. If we make out fairly well on our other hotels I might splurge. If we are bleeding money we will probably have to go Hilton/Sheraton. Such a hard decision!

I ruled out the Ambassador and Celebration Hotel. I figured if I am going to do a Disney resort I will go big or go home.

Will you be going solo or travelling with family?

Will you be going solo or travelling with family?
Probably solo. Mom said maybe she'd be interested and she did get her degree in East Asian Studies and spent time in China in grad school. But I don't think she cares to go to the Disney part, which would make a good amount of solo time, which she doesn't really like either...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter