Planning a Family Reunion in WDW and need help.....

conorsmom

Earning My Ears
I hope I'm posting this question in the right place!

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to WDW for the week of Thanksgiving 2003 for my parents 50th wedding anniversary. There will be 11 adults and 4 children (ages 3 1/2 to 10). We want to stay at the WL (except for one adult who wants to stay at the AS?) but it is really confusing between who is going down when, how long are they staying, who needs air fare, who doesn't.....etc! At this point, since no one wants to share rooms, we need 6 rooms!! Can anyone tell me the best way to get started? I contacted our local travel agent a few days ago and gave her some details, but I haven't heard back from her yet. Is there a "best" way to book it?? My sister wants me to get quotes from several sources (Liberty Travel, AAA, Am Ex, Disney themselves.....etc.) Is this smart or a waste of time? I just contacted Dreams Unlimited also - from what I've read they might be the best choice. Any help, tips or advice on how to get this started would be very appreciated. Also, can we book this far in advance? And, is that a good idea or not? and, lastly, from what I can see, the week of Thanksgiving falls into the "Value" period, but I also read somewhere that it is one of the most expensive weeks, so I'm a little confused. Does anyone know if the rates are higher that week?

THANKS!!!!

Welcome to the Dis conorsmom! You have found the best place on the net for Disney! Unless you like the planning part of a Disney trip Dreams would be a good choice. I've never used them myself but I've never heard any complaints. i've found that a lot of loca travel agents don't know a lot about Disney so I would go with Dreams or AAA. Planning it yourself is a good option. You can find a lot of discounts out ther. the dis just started a discount page here or there is mousesavers. com. You can book now and can the dates as needed. I don't know if Thanksgiving is value season, I wouldn't think it was. I do know its very busy at that time avoid MK that day.

Anything you need to know post here there is always someone that knows the answer. Check out the Resorts page about WL.

It's never too early to start planning a Disney vacation!!

I second the dreams recommendation. They are experts! It is too early for any discounts on disney hotels, so all travel agents should give you the same prices. The only difference might be on air, but I wouldn't book any airfare until next year. Shopping around would be a waste of time right now.

Everyone should expect to pay full price, but you can keep an eye on the discount info. If you can get an AAA or disney club discount (when they come out for 2003) your family will be happy. And if you can get a code or AP discount, they will be thrilled!

If it were me, I would book the rooms (through DU), with no package, just to make sure you get what you want. Then start your research! Get a notebook & Write down all the tips you find on the DIS! Figure out what you want to do & what special events you want to plan. A travel agent that specializes in Disney will be able to tell you what things can be reserved in advance and what can't.

Have fun :)

How long will you be going?? Is it just one person who wants to stay at AS??? They can't share a room with someone??? I wonder if it would be worth it to buy a AP and book the rooms with an AP rate . I don't know how many rooms one person is allowed to book. Have you checked into the villas???? I would personally go the week before or after Thanksgiving, but if that's when everyone could get off of work, then you have no choice. I believe that is Value season and an easy way to find out is call CRO and see what they quote you for a room those days. With a group of that size, I would just let each family plan their own itinerary and plan a few meals or activities to do all together. Maybe your mom might like the Grand floridian tea with some of the girls or do the IceCream Social at Garden Grill with the kids. Have fun planning!!!!!!

The reason we picked the week of Thanksgiving is because it is close to my parents actualy 50th wedding anniversary date (1/9/04) and because the 3 older kids would only miss 2 days of school, rather than a week. The majority of the group plan on arriving Friday night and leaving early Saturday morning. From what we understand, up until Wednesday it is relatively quiet, then it picks up Wed and will be crowded Thursday and Friday. We figure that will give us 4 to 5 days to get the most important stuff done, before it gets really crazy. I hope thats a good plan. Again, thanks for all the tips!! But, not to sound like a total newbie, but can I ask what is CRO?? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what that stands for!!

Thanks!
Jen

I've known the CRO word for so lnog I don't really know the meaning but I beleive it means Central reservations office. That does sound like a good plan but like I said before avoid MK Tday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter