Planning a beach/waterpark vacation

KBecks

Planning a return to Florida, Oct 2019
Hi DisBoards!

We have decided to plan a trip to a Gulf Coast beach / Orlando to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and because, we need a vacation. We will be traveling with our 3 kids, ages 15, 13 and 11.

At first, we looked at a Disney cruise, but then decided to that wasn't the best fit. Then we looked at a couple days at Universal, but now think we will choose to go to the Disney waterpark(s) in lieu of theme parks, and spend the rest of the vacation at a beach rental house or beach resort.

I know that's a little unusual, but it will be a laid back vacation.

Any suggestions for a good beach resort? Tips on the waterparks? A good place for an anniversary dinner with the kiddos? It's been a long time since we've been to Florida.

Thanks very much.

Hi DisBoards!

We have decided to plan a trip to a Gulf Coast beach / Orlando to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and because, we need a vacation. We will be traveling with our 3 kids, ages 15, 13 and 11.

At first, we looked at a Disney cruise, but then decided to that wasn't the best fit. Then we looked at a couple days at Universal, but now think we will choose to go to the Disney waterpark(s) in lieu of theme parks, and spend the rest of the vacation at a beach rental house or beach resort.

I know that's a little unusual, but it will be a laid back vacation.

Any suggestions for a good beach resort? Tips on the waterparks? A good place for an anniversary dinner with the kiddos? It's been a long time since we've been to Florida.

Thanks very much.
Stay out of the Atlantic side, do go with the Gulf side. Good call. Sharks love the Atlantic. If you are going to Disney's water parks at least three times, go with the water park annual pass. Will come out ahead. I am planning a water park vaca in May or June of next year. No theme parks.

Thanks, it looks like Blizzard Beach will be closed during the week we are planning -- so Typhoon Lagoon!
Has anyone heard about Red Tide in the Gulf area this year?

Last edited:

If I were only going to go to one waterpark day ... I'd go to Volcano Bay at Universal.

BUT we once skipped the Orlando thing and did our vacation over by Clearwater. We bought multi-day tickets to Busch Gardens and they also have a water park. We had plenty of beach, pool, laid back time with a couple fun park days in the middle. Busch Gardens is much less intensive park wise than Disney or Universal and we totally avoided the Orlando area.

This just hit me ... you were talking cruise but opted for quieter beach vacation ....

Have you ever been to Discovery Cove? It's an amazing experience. You turn down the drive and feel like you are on an island far away. SO RELAXING, not crowded, food and drink provided, great snorkeling. You don't have to do the dolphin swim. Worth exploring as a very special treat for your family/anniversary.

I did this last year and went with getting the Disney water park annual pass. I would highly recommend it. We were able to use the passes last June and this June as well. Plus, the waterparks at Disney have free parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!