Planet Hollywood rant

Linus Van Pelt

That's how people grow up.
Just wanted to thank the DIS Unplugged team for your brutally honest diatribe against the utterly craptacular Planet Hollywood! :disrocks: Quite frankly, it amazes me how a restaurant concept as utterly loathsome as theirs can stay in business for as long as it has. But, then again, I'm also mystified as to the continued success of Rainforest Cafe, Red Lobster, and Olive Garden (sorry, Pete!), as well, so maybe it's just me (though I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a food snob; IMO, you'd be hard pressed to find more sublime foodstuffs than a good, greasy burger and an order of fries).

Anyway, I'll close by saying that I always enjoy hearing all of your unfettered opinions, even if/when I don't agree with them. :thumbsup2

hah! Along with my Disney My Way itinerary, came some vouchers. A miniature golf voucher (cool! and we had perfect weather for mini-golf!), and some other things, one of which was a 15.00 voucher for Planet Hollywood. Needless to say, we didn't use it.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Awh I happend to love Olive Garden and Rainforest [atmosphere more so than food] but PH...ew. We used to have one in Indy and it went out of business quickly! I did however get to try Captian Crunch Chicken there and I've been making it ever since!

Hey, I really love Olive Garden, too! My first Orlando restaurant experience was an Olive Garden...I think that was back in '86 or '87...was it even around back then?

Editing to add...wikipedia says the first Olive Garden was established in Orlando in 1982, so I was there that early. My town just opened up its first Olive garden...geez, took 25 years for it to follow me north.

You know, waaaay back in my culinary infancy (1988, to be exact), I had my first Olive Garden experience when one opened in nearby Miamisburg, Ohio, and I have to say that I LOVED it. And I continued loving Olive Garden for nigh on ten years after that, until I started expanding my culinary horizons by electing to dine at some local mom and pop Italian restaurants in the surrounding area. And, let me tell you, only then were my tastebuds fully awakened to what real Italian food was! And, needless to say, the overly-safe Olive Garden menu positively withered by comparison. So, nowadays, whenever I get a hankering for Italian cuisine, I nearly always seek out an independent restaurant or, failing that--if I have no choice but to dine at a chain, I'll opt for a Bravo or Carrabba's every time instead of giving my money to an Olive Garden.

(As a side note, my feelings for Olive Garden are summed up nearly perfectly by the statement author A.J. Jacobs made in his new book, The Year of Living Biblically, wherein he decides to follow Mosaic law as closely as possible for a full year: he stated that, while he technically is a Jew, he was about as Jewish as Olive Garden food is Italian. :lmao: )

Well, Linus, some of us are stuck in a perpetual state of culinary arrested development, I guess!

Well, Linus, some of us are stuck in a perpetual state of culinary arrested development, I guess!

:)

That's kind of like my dearly departed parents. Whenever they'd go out for Italian food, it was, without fail, to an Olive Garden. And what's worse, they'd always order spaghetti and meat sauce. Oy! I'd always say, "Mom, Dad, you do know you could easily make the same dish at home, and it would taste virtually identical to this, right?" And they'd always reply that they liked what they liked, and what they really liked was spaghetti with meat sauce. And they'd always cringe and half-gag when they'd see me eating "weird" stuff like calamari and crab-stuffed mushrooms. Ah, well. :rolleyes:

But please don't think I look down upon you or anyone else who likes the Olive Garden. It's just that there's *so* much better Italian food to be had out there, and I'm pretty passionate (yes, even to the point of annoyance) about it.

Just wanted to follow up with my email to the DIS about Planet Hollywood. I am a manager in a major, nationwide retail environment. I understand that employees can make mistakes. So when I was told by my waitress that the gift certificate could not be used with the voucher because it was a coupon, I politely asked for the manager. After I explained to the manager that a gift card should be treated as cash -HE AGREED WITH ME- but sadly, said that there was nothing he could. AT THIS POINT-he turned and left. Herein lies the reason for my email. ANY other establishment in ANY other locale would have, at the very least, done something, no matter how small, to appease the customer. Instead, I was basically ignored.

I really just wanted to warn anyone else who might attempt to use a gift card in conjunction with the Disney voucher. Some of us plan every dollar, and any loss, especially on something we thought would be free, can have a major impact.

Quite honestly, I would have asked before I ever ordered, thats just the way that I am, and if I didn't like the answer, I would have left and taken my family somewhere else, or accepted there position and had a meal. I think waiting until after is what caused your problem. Could have been avoided from the start, BUT yes, you are correct, a little better customer service on there part, would have gone a long way ...

:)

That's kind of like my dearly departed parents. Whenever they'd go out for Italian food, it was, without fail, to an Olive Garden. And what's worse, they'd always order spaghetti and meat sauce. Oy! I'd always say, "Mom, Dad, you do know you could easily make the same dish at home, and it would taste virtually identical to this, right?" And they'd always reply that they liked what they liked, and what they really liked was spaghetti with meat sauce. And they'd always cringe and half-gag when they'd see me eating "weird" stuff like calamari and crab-stuffed mushrooms. Ah, well. :rolleyes:

But please don't think I look down upon you or anyone else who likes the Olive Garden. It's just that there's *so* much better Italian food to be had out there, and I'm pretty passionate (yes, even to the point of annoyance) about it.

I feel the same way. Whenever I go out to a restaurant I never want to order something I could easily make at home.

Well, once upon a time I loved Olive Garden...that is until I worked there! :scared1: I totally agree with Linus Van Pelt, the more out-of-the-way a place is the better. Our favorite Italian restaurant here in Orlando only has one location and so does our Steak place.

IMO, Bahama Breeze and Chilis need to be added to the list! :scared:
And, could the Bennigan's chain please do something about the rancid wet bar smell throughout their restaurants.

I'll admit I am somewhat of a food snob.:snooty:

Quite honestly, I would have asked before I ever ordered, thats just the way that I am, and if I didn't like the answer, I would have left and taken my family somewhere else, or accepted there position and had a meal. I think waiting until after is what caused your problem. Could have been avoided from the start, BUT yes, you are correct, a little better customer service on there part, would have gone a long way ...

I use gift certificates/cards weekly and have never ONCE mentioned it before paying. They are just another method of payment and I've never sat down and said "Is it OK to pay with cash?"

Well, once upon a time I loved Olive Garden...that is until I worked there! :scared1: I totally agree with Linus Van Pelt, the more out-of-the-way a place is the better. Our favorite Italian restaurant here in Orlando only has one location and so does our Steak place.

And, could the Bennigan's chain please do something about the rancid wet bar smell throughout their restaurants.

And which Italian restaurant and steak place is that, Julie? I have friends that are much more palate-educated than I, and I'd hate to embarrass myself by bringing them to OG.

I have friends that are much more palate-educated than I, and I'd hate to embarrass myself by bringing them to OG.
I guess I have embarrassed myself then since the Olive Garden in Orlando was where we had our rehearsal dinner. Of course, I have to admit we picked it mainly for the peach sangria and (now defunct) chocolate lasagna - both of which were pre-made anyway. Oh well!

edited to add:
by the way, I thought the comment about Planet Hollyhood was hilarious and DEAD ON!!!

Well, when all is said and done, at least I'll be able to say that I had the charming (and funny!) lass from the DIS Unplugged podcast on my side regarding the Olive Garden thing (and Darden restaurants in general, though I do have somewhat of a soft spot for Bahama Breeze's coconut crusted onion rings, ashamed as I am to admit even that :blush: ). Thanks, Julie, and keep up the awesome work, all of you, on the weekly podcast (and let Bawb know that he has yet another supporter/sympathizer/apologist in yours truly)! :thumbsup2

And which Italian restaurant and steak place is that, Julie? I have friends that are much more palate-educated than I, and I'd hate to embarrass myself by bringing them to OG.

Corey and I love Linda's La Cantina for steak; it has been around since the 1940s here in Orlando! Located near the Fashion Square Mall on Hwy 50 (E. Colonial Drive). They do not have a website, but Corey is thinking of striking a deal with them...he does the site and in return receives dinner for two, once a month for one year. :banana: I am including their address and phone number: 4721 E. Colonial Drive - Orlando, Florida 32803 and 407-894-4491.

Our Italian place is Il Pescatore located off Hwy 50 on Primrose, near the mall also. It is great authentic Italian food...try the Caponata Siciliana for an appetizer!:thumbsup2 Corey really enjoys their Chicken Marsala.:yay:
Here is their contact info: 651 N Primrose Dr, Orlando, FL 32803 and
(407) 896-6763.

Corey and I love Linda's La Cantina for steak; it has been around since the 1940s here in Orlando! Located near the Fashion Square Mall on Hwy 50 (E. Colonial Drive). They do not have a website, but Corey is thinking of striking a deal with them...he does the site and in return receives dinner for two, once a month for one year. :banana: I am including their address and phone number: 4721 E. Colonial Drive - Orlando, Florida 32803 and 407-894-4491.

Our Italian place is Il Pescatore located off Hwy 50 on Primrose, near the mall also. It is great authentic Italian food...try the Caponata Siciliana for an appetizer!:thumbsup2 Corey really enjoys their Chicken Marsala.:yay:
Here is their contact info: 651 N Primrose Dr, Orlando, FL 32803 and
(407) 896-6763.
Thank you so much, Julie! I'm programming my Garmin now.

Oops sorry, didn't read the whole thread -- I was asking AuroraJane same question as above!

The first time I went to Planet Hollywood in Phoenix in 1994, it was fantastic. They had some really cool BBQ nachos and the ebony/ivory brownie sundae, and fun drinks like the Planet of the Apes (with banana, yum). I was really disappointed when they started to go downhill.

I would never say that Olive Garden is authentic, but I have always enjoyed it for what it is. What I don't like is the steady decline of most chain restaurants: overall poorer quality ingredients, and service that becomes less enthusiastic with each visit. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, since all of us on the boards are used to and expect Disney quality service.

But the crystallizing moment came for me the other night at Ruth's Chris for a family celebration. As an expensive, high-end steakhouse I expect the food to be perfect every time and the service to be impeccable. But the steaks were overcooked, the service was blah, and the server was wearing FLAIR. Yes, she had a promotional button on her vest, something about a "Sizzling" time of year, or whatever.

Suddenly, I felt like I was in a TGIFriday's. I don't mind Friday's, but not at Ruth's Chris prices. It felt as though they realized that they too are a chain, and fell into the same decline as PH.

I guess it makes me a food snob, because even though I will eat at Olive Garden, I expect the same quality and service that they had ten years ago.

I would never say that Olive Garden is authentic, but I have always enjoyed it for what it is. What I don't like is the steady decline of most chain restaurants: overall poorer quality ingredients, and service that becomes less enthusiastic with each visit. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, since all of us on the boards are used to and expect Disney quality service.

I agree. I like Olive Garden, sorry if that means to some people that my tastebuds must be dead :rolleyes: . If we want authentic Italian then we go elsewhere but the Olive Garden does have a few dishes that I enjoy. But then in general I am not a food snob and don't have a problem with many of the chains. They come in handy when you are on the road traveling and want to know what you are in for. When we get to an area where we will be staying a few days we usually ask the locals then about a good place to eat.

I do agree that service and food quality has gone down hill at many restaurants. Unfortunately this seems to even have effected some of the Disney restaurants also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter