placeholder - confirmation

FigmentSpark

DIS Veteran
How do I know the details of the placeholder I booked on the cruise? Last year, I was able to find it on my Castaway Club account, but I'm not seeing anything there this year. Does it take a few days? I know people say you're supposed to get an email, but I never did last year, so I really don't know if I will this year. I do know that the $250 was charged to my account, so they did the paperwork, but I would like to have the reservation numbers, too.

Also, is it different when you have a TA named than when you don't? We used Costco and I said to keep the same TA. Would that be why I'm not seeing anything?

Have done placeholders twice keeping Costco as the TA and have received e-mail confirmation each time within a couple days. If it's been more than a week, I think I'd call to check.

I never got an email the first time I did an onboard booking. I finally had to call Disney to get the reservation number. The next time I asked for a printout confirmation while I was still at the desk. If you call Disney they should be able to give it to you.

I had to fill in a form for the placeholder, but they didn't actually do anything with it and wouldn't while I was there. They're not interested in spending time on something simple like that. They want to book the actual cruises for people. So into the placeholder dropbox it goes. Like I said, though, I know DCL took the charges, so I assume it's there, it's just getting the info. They did tell me that I will get an email, but, yeah, last year I never did.

How do I know the details of the placeholder I booked on the cruise? Last year, I was able to find it on my Castaway Club account, but I'm not seeing anything there this year. Does it take a few days? I know people say you're supposed to get an email, but I never did last year, so I really don't know if I will this year. I do know that the $250 was charged to my account, so they did the paperwork, but I would like to have the reservation numbers, too.

Also, is it different when you have a TA named than when you don't? We used Costco and I said to keep the same TA. Would that be why I'm not seeing anything?

Costco would have the confirmation email as they are your listed TA. Contact them and ask them to forward the confirmation number to you.

I've used 2 placeholders (1 for our August Alaska cruise and one for next summer S. Caribbean) and I didn't realize until I booked the S. Caribbean that the placeholder registration number became the registration number for the actual cruise. Doh!

Yeah, I have a virtual sticky note on my desktop with the CC phone number; my CC number and the registration number of all the cruises we've got on the books. Can I just say 29 days until we leave for our next cruise? Not counting down or eager...much. :)

Costco would have the confirmation email as they are your listed TA. Contact them and ask them to forward the confirmation number to you.
That's what I suspected. Thanks. I will wait a day or two, as the placeholders were just booked on Friday. Then I will seek them out.

I guess this info doesn't show up on the Castaway Club anymore, then?

Yes, they changed it last year. This is the answer I got when I asked where to find the placeholder, since I used to see it on the Castaway page.

Recently we changed how reservations are held in our computer system for the bookings that are made onboard with a ‘Placeholder Date’ for a future sailing.
Guess are unable to access their Placeholder Date reservations online.

I had to fill in a form for the placeholder, but they didn't actually do anything with it and wouldn't while I was there. They're not interested in spending time on something simple like that. They want to book the actual cruises for people. So into the placeholder dropbox it goes. Like I said, though, I know DCL took the charges, so I assume it's there, it's just getting the info. They did tell me that I will get an email, but, yeah, last year I never did.

That's very annoying frustrating. I've had one good experience and one mess at the future cruise desk. I'm booking another one on my next cruise and I will remain there while they process it thankyouverymuch. I'm sorry that the person at the desk treated you that way.

Just called Costco (my TA). They don't have anything about the placeholder, at least, as of yet. I don't have an email, either. I was assured I'd get one. But then, I was assured last year that I'd get one, too. So on to phoning DCL. If it showed up on the Castaway Club, I wouldn't be bothered, but I know they took the funds for it, so now I want the evidence of the placeholder, ie, reservation number. That should be my right, I'd think.

Just called Costco (my TA). They don't have anything about the placeholder, at least, as of yet. I don't have an email, either. I was assured I'd get one. But then, I was assured last year that I'd get one, too. So on to phoning DCL. If it showed up on the Castaway Club, I wouldn't be bothered, but I know they took the funds for it, so now I want the evidence of the placeholder, ie, reservation number. That should be my right, I'd think.

Since you dropped it off and they processed it on your credit card, it should be an easy fix to get the confirmation number. I know that there is a delay though as they have to reconcile all reservations with shoreside processing.
However, since Costco is the named TA, DCL will most likely not talk to you to give you the information. Costco should be the one doing the legwork for you to find out and get that reservation number. I would call back Costco and ask them to do this for you.

That's what I suspected. Thanks. I will wait a day or two, as the placeholders were just booked on Friday. Then I will seek them out.

I guess this info doesn't show up on the Castaway Club anymore, then?

No, they do not show placeholders until after they have been taken. All cruises are shown after you take them to count towards your CC status. I have one that I used to book on opening day that shows up on my reservations page but not on my CC status page because I have not actually taken it yet.
My placeholder is not showing on my reservations either because it is not a booked cruise.

Give it until Friday at least because it has to be sent to shoreside for processing...this can take some time. Also, Costco will be the only one who can get this information for you as they are listed as the TA. DCL will typically not talk to the client who has a TA.

Friday, you say? Okay. I can wait. I tried to phone DCL and they said it would be more than 30 minutes on hold, so I hung up. I get anxious, because, 1- it's my chance for another cruise! and 2- I have money on the line. I know, some would say I have my priorities listed backwards. ;)

Friday, you say? Okay. I can wait. I tried to phone DCL and they said it would be more than 30 minutes on hold, so I hung up. I get anxious, because, 1- it's my chance for another cruise! and 2- I have money on the line. I know, some would say I have my priorities listed backwards. ;)

Totally understandable and I would say your priorities are perfectly in line.
But really, let Costco call and wait on hold. DCL most likely will not give you that information since Costco is your TA anyway. :)

ETA. I am booked on the April 21st cruise that changed ports from Tortola to St. Maarten. Several cruisers in that group booked with Costco and never got word that the itinerary changed and found out on their FB group. No email or call from Costco to alert them of the changes and to let them know that they can sign in and change excursions on a certain day. Again, the only way these folks knew was by seeing on their FB group page. I think in this case, you need to press Costco to give you the service and information as they hold the reservation on your behalf and they are the TA. Just a thought.

The first time I did a placeholder, I never got an email. I found the number myself on the CC site and called to make arrangements. This last time I did a placeholder (January 17), I did receive an email. I've heard others with the same either/or experience.

The first time I did a placeholder, I never got an email. I found the number myself on the CC site and called to make arrangements. This last time I did a placeholder (January 17), I did receive an email. I've heard others with the same either/or experience.
Do you remember how long it took to get your email the last time?

Totally understandable and I would say your priorities are perfectly in line.
But really, let Costco call and wait on hold. DCL most likely will not give you that information since Costco is your TA anyway. :)

ETA. I am booked on the April 21st cruise that changed ports from Tortola to St. Maarten. Several cruisers in that group booked with Costco and never got word that the itinerary changed and found out on their FB group. No email or call from Costco to alert them of the changes and to let them know that they can sign in and change excursions on a certain day. Again, the only way these folks knew was by seeing on their FB group page. I think in this case, you need to press Costco to give you the service and information as they hold the reservation on your behalf and they are the TA. Just a thought.
Yeah, I didn't get a report of the change for our March cruise from Costco, either. In fact, even up to the sailing, it still said on their website that we were going to Tortola. I knew this was incorrect. I did mention it to them, because it was a source of lost revenue for them, as they offer Costco excursions. Obviously, I wasn't going to book a Tortola excursion and the system wasn't showing be excursions for St. Marten, because it didn't know I was going there.

Have you checked that you were charged for the placeholder? Two years ago we never got an email but DCL was able to pull it up when we went to book. I did the same thing this year, assumed everything was booked. Found out that it was never processed. DCL wouldn’t do anything since I didn’t have a confirmation number, no email, and my credit card was never charged.

I’ve learned my lesson and will now sit there and not leave until I get a printed confirmation.

Have you checked that you were charged for the placeholder? Two years ago we never got an email but DCL was able to pull it up when we went to book. I did the same thing this year, assumed everything was booked. Found out that it was never processed. DCL wouldn’t do anything since I didn’t have a confirmation number, no email, and my credit card was never charged.

I’ve learned my lesson and will now sit there and not leave until I get a printed confirmation.
My credit card was charged. It says "Disney Reservations" and the charge for each was $250USD. They had a stack of placeholder forms to enter, so they weren't going to do it while I waited. I was back there twice and even went to guest services, who just "assured" me that it would be taken care of.

Looking back, it looks like I got the email the day we disembarked. It was a confirmation of the $250 placeholder and had my reservation number on it.
That would make sense. And the fact that I didn't receive one is what's concerning me. How can that be a hit or miss thing? the agent even verified my email and reviewed the form to see if I'd done it correctly. But she wouldn't put it through when I was sitting there. I guess I was okay with that because I wanted it processed on the last day anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!