Pittsburgh was well worth the visit.

dish rag

DIS Veteran
We really enjoyed the place. My wife and I kind of do our own thing when visiting a place. Our car had been parked at Niagara airport so we flew up from Orlando, picked it up and drove from there. We couldn't get over the wooden houses perched up on the hills surrounding the city. It was really something to see. We mainly went to see historic buildings and bridges. We enjoyed walking over those bridges and finding places to eat in those hilly areas and to look at old churches. Old dive kind of places to eat. One was called Fat Heads. I really had trouble understanding the people talk. We stayed at the Drury which has a lot of history of its own. We spent some time hiking some amazing trails in Laurel State Park and visited 7 Springs to see its Olympic size half pipe. We were really pleasantly surprised at the fun we had and hope to return. It was an easy drive back to Canada. Would highly recommend a visit. Now it's back to Florida for a bit.

Ya! So glad that you had a great trip to the burgh. We do have an odd accent and some quirky words. It's an absolutely gem of a city and amazing food. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit

Never been there but have heard it's a remarkable place! Glad you liked it. :)

Great to know! We are driving from Canada on the Easter long weekend.

I have a new job and awful vacation time so we thought Pittsburgh would be a good choice as it’s only a 5 hour drive from here and if I don’t cross the border, I don’t feel like I’m on vacation.

My half brother lives about 30 miles from Pittsburgh. We always love visiting the area. I’ll never forget the look on my husband’s face the first time my brother said yinz. It reminded me of years ago when my brother first heard me say the word uffda (I live in ND)

We drove out there from Michigan, to attend a Pittsburgh Steelers game, not that long ago. We stayed in the downtown area, and walked across one of the bridges to the game. I really liked the area. Had some really cool restaurants too. Since it’s a big steel industrial city (or at least it used to be), I was expecting it to be dirty and bad smelling. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. I’d go back in a heartbeat to do more exploring.

My half brother lives about 30 miles from Pittsburgh. We always love visiting the area. I’ll never forget the look on my husband’s face the first time my brother said yinz. It reminded me of years ago when my brother first heard me say the word uffda (I live in ND)
What does “yinz” mean. And “uffda”?

Since it’s a big steel industrial city (or at least it used to be),

Until around the late to mid 80's there were blast furnaces and steel making that could be seen from the Downtown area just up the Allegheny river. The blast furnaces were on one side of the river and the hot buckets of iron were turned into steel on the other side. They were connected by a railroad bridge.

The blast furnace side is now a technology park and the other side a neighborhood style walk around shopping area. They are connected by the Hot Metal Bridge.

In the shopping side there is a Hofbrauhaus. They play German music outside and have a May Pole and every time I go there for just a second I think I'm in Epcot. :)

Yep, that’s pretty much it. I don’t use it often but every once in awhile it’ll come out of my mouth.

My dad, an Australian living on the Prairies says uffda too. For us, it’s like a ‘good stuff’ or something similar. He usually says it after his first sip of wine or beer for the day lol

I get so happy when I see/hear of people visiting my home city and loving it! It has come a long way in the past 10 years and just keeps getting better. You really need to visit in the spring/summer though to get the full effect. You have to visit the strip district and take a walk down to point state park, then cross Clemente bridge and attend a pirates game in the evening. Walk through the city at night after the game- stopping along Penn Ave to check out the funky bars and late night restaurants. It really is a wonderful city!

In the 90s I spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh on business. Driving in from the airport, you would be in the tunnel. As you drove out of the tunnel the view of the city and the rivers was magnificent.

I get so happy when I see/hear of people visiting my home city and loving it! It has come a long way in the past 10 years and just keeps getting better. You really need to visit in the spring/summer though to get the full effect. You have to visit the strip district and take a walk down to point state park, then cross Clemente bridge and attend a pirates game in the evening. Walk through the city at night after the game- stopping along Penn Ave to check out the funky bars and late night restaurants. It really is a wonderful city!
The weather doesn't effect where we go, we find beauty in all kinds of weather. We did all those things except the ball game. Went to something in Mt Lebanon so saw the view coming back. The point was full of muck due to the flood but we had hiking boots on, walked up to the edge and had the place to our selves. The one disappointment was the Aviary, very dated and not much to see. Enjoyed the Strip District. Ate lunch there and my wife bought a bunch of stuff at a Chinese store. Talked with some of the students at Point Park Univ which was nice. Really the whole thing was like going back in time, and that was interesting.

DH and I went four years ago during the summer. The main reason was to visit Kennywood amusement park, an old-time classic. Also went to a Pirates baseball game, Andy Warhol museum, the Strip entertainment district, and one of those inclined railways across the river. And while walking around the park where the three rivers meet we encountered a festival with music, booths selling food, etc. Had a great time.

(I wouldn't want to drive some of those hilly streets during a snowfall, however.)

DH and I went four years ago during the summer. The main reason was to visit Kennywood amusement park, an old-time classic. Also went to a Pirates baseball game, Andy Warhol museum, the Strip entertainment district, and one of those inclined railways across the river. And while walking around the park where the three rivers meet we encountered a festival with music, booths selling food, etc. Had a great time.

(I wouldn't want to drive some of those hilly streets during a snowfall, however.)
We walked over and rode the incline. Had it to ourselves, who visits in February lol ha. We walked over to Warhole but decided not to. We love his works but saw them when housed in St Pete Fla.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter