Pirates of the Feeding?

Actually, it was outside in plain sight before you enter the through the doors (not that it necessarily makes a difference).
I have breast fed on tube trains, in rush hour, in theme parks, in shopping malls, on buses, on boats in various countries, wherever my baby happened to get hungry. Luckily no one ever found it necessary to say anything negative (I did get my picture taken for NCT once, as I was at a party, chatting away and carrying on with my day at the same time as I BF) and, as far as I am aware, no stranger ever saw more than the tiniest glimpse of nipple. I really am not sure why it would warrant enough thought to get its own thread on here?

And I don't think people should remove their ENTIRE SHIRT to BF. There's just no need. And yet, I have seen that. While it's perfectly natural and they can do it where they wish (yes, I do believe that), there are some who could really learn a bit of modesty.

I agree as I am trying to understand what is/was socially acceptable and at what level?

I agree as I am trying to understand what is/was socially acceptable and at what level?

"is/was"?? Has it changed? I feel as if you are now just fishing for controversy.

Any mother can feed a baby anywhere she wants. End of story. If that makes you uncomfortable, whether she has seven layers of clothing ensuring no one sees an inch of skin, or lets it all hang out, that is your problem, not hers. Just move on and enjoy your day.

Last edited:
If a baby needs to eat then you feed it, bottle or breast. I've breast fed in each of the Baby Care Centers at the parks as well as while waiting in line for and on rides. Some people are more discrete about it, but no one should take offense by it. As others have said, you see almost as much boob in the VS fashion show and SI swimsuit edition.

I feel as if you are now just fishing for controversy.

Presumptuous.

I don't have a problem with any part of breastfeeding in a public/private sector; I made an observation. Somehow and erroneously, by posing my question(s) has equated to me stating I have an anti-breastfeeding position or that "I have a problem".

Last week we were in line and watched a woman sit down on the floor queue and.......I've never seen this before and wasn't sure how to, if at all, react.

Anyone else see this at a Disney attraction? Should there be designated and discrete areas besides restrooms for this?

The reason people are assuming you take issue with a woman feeding her child in public is because of the "and........" - you leave the sentence hanging as if you're afraid to type the word "breastfeeding". Also the fact that you "[weren't] sure how to, if at all, react." The "reaction" to someone breastfeeding a baby should be the same as a reaction to someone bottle feeding a baby- no reaction at all. Or maybe smile at Mom if you make eye contact with her.

There is one baby care center in each park. I used the one at AK on our last trip twice- once to change a diaper and once to feed. The only reason I fed my baby in there was because they also sell stuff in there, and we needed to pick up some infants Tylenol. Personally I think the baby care centers are Disney's greatest idea ever, and yet I only used them twice in our entire 10-day trip because of their only downside- they're not very conveniently located. There's only one in each park and it tends to be at the front of the park. When Baby needs to eat every 3 hours (or more often when he's not feeling well / gets spooked by loud noises at a show or a parade) I'm not hiking back to the front of the park every single time. But if I happen to be right next to it then sure, since it's comfortable and air conditioned and my husband and older child can sit and put their feet up, too.

And yes, legally, if a baby is allowed to be in a public establishment, he is allowed to eat there, whether or not Mom wants to use a cover. (Would you like to eat your lunch with a blanket over your head?)

The reason people are assuming you take issue with a woman feeding her child in public is because of the "and........"

I could see this being misunderstood and therein lies the challenges of making an assumption.

I never noticed the baby care centers (which goes to the point of obscurity, I guess).

Presumptuous.

I don't have a problem with any part of breastfeeding in a public/private sector; I made an observation. Somehow and erroneously, by posing my question(s) has equated to me stating I have an anti-breastfeeding position or that "I have a problem".

I can't speak for others, but the part of your post that I found worthy of a potential response was the part not where you merely made an observation but the part where you said you didn't know how to a react to a woman breasfeeding.

I saw it as a moment to respond in a way that would be helpful to others who might have a similar question, assuming you were genuinely asking an honest question, which it clearly seemed you were. Your post implied not knowing how to react to a woman breastfeeding at disney. Actually, it didn't just imply that -- it said it explicitly. I'm not criticizing or anything. That is not an illegitimate question. There are probably some who would ask it in a way that actually implies a judgment -- and maybe that's what you were really doing and don't want to admit that -- but assuming that's not what was happening here, you have your answer. The appropriate way to act when you encounter a breasfeeding woman is to continue to do exactly what you were doing. There is literally nothing to do or say or do, except perhaps change your path so as to avoid bumping her or the child.

Presumptuous.

Not presumptuous at all. You said you are trying to understand what is/was (I'm still kinda stuck on this -- do you think it's different now than it used to be?) socially acceptable. That was AFTER people explained to you that ANY feeding of a baby, in any form, is "acceptable".

The fact that you observed it and thought that warranted a message board post to ask "Should there be designated and discrete areas besides restrooms for this?" implies that you consider it something out of the ordinary. I apologize if my inference there was incorrect, and I do hope that you have learned more about something with which you were not familiar.

As should a woman breastfeeding. It should go unnoticed and if you do happen to notice it, it should go unsaid.

Agreed, but the post had me think that it should be called out. "There's a person breastfeeding" is about right.

I feel as if you are now just fishing for controversy.

I viewed that as being presumptuous.

The fact that you observed it and thought that warranted a message board post to ask "Should there be designated and discrete areas besides restrooms for this?" implies that you consider it something out of the ordinary. I apologize if my inference there was incorrect, and I do hope that you have learned more about something with which you were not familiar.

Apology accepted. I was thinking that we are in a day where if someone is offended, it can cause a litigious stir. I am now merely asking the question that if someone is offended by public breastfeeding(s), do they have a legal argument or position? Yes, I've read on this thread that is a law in the U.S. about a mother/woman can feed anytime or anywhere.

And I have learned about varying viewpoints on public breastfeeding at Disney.

I saw it as a moment to respond in a way that would be helpful to others who might have a similar question, assuming you were genuinely asking an honest question, which it clearly seemed you were. Your post implied not knowing how to react to a woman breastfeeding at disney. Actually, it didn't just imply that -- it said it explicitly. I'm not criticizing or anything. That is not an illegitimate question. There are probably some who would ask it in a way that actually implies a judgment -- and maybe that's what you were really doing and don't want to admit that -- but assuming that's not what was happening here, you have your answer. The appropriate way to act when you encounter a breasfeeding woman is to continue to do exactly what you were doing. There is literally nothing to do or say or do, except perhaps change your path so as to avoid bumping her or the child.

It was a genuine question, not meant to cause ire.

While I may not react in any different way than normal, I assure you there are teenagers, etc. that may not be as impartial and even mock such a natural thing. So perhaps this becomes an education lesson to children who may ask "what is that woman doing"?

It is sad that children don't know that the primary function of breasts is feeding babies. I am not disputing that there are many who don't. In practise, however, never, in the 3 years+ I spent feeding my children, has a child or teenager had a reaction that made me uncomfortable. Mostly. people don't pay any attention at all (which is great, I actually don't want people drawing attention to the fact that. however discreetly, I have my boob out in public - I would feel horrible if I thought that people were discussing me on line afterwards) One middle aged gentleman was lovely when I was feeding my youngest at an airport. He was sending his teenagers to buy drinks. I was sending my 7 year old to buy a drink for himself, and trying to keep him in my eyeline (I was right outside the shop) and, he simply checked whether he could get me anything, since I couldn't do that, and a 7 yr old is barely reliable enough to get themselves something.

I mean, I know people DO have much more negative experiences than I did, which can be really damaging for the individual and the breastfeeding rates generally, as people do get very anxious about feeding in public - I know I did. But really, it is unremarkable, so, mostly, people are not bothered.

The law is that a mother is permitted to feed her baby anywhere.

Except Idaho
It is sad that children don't know that the primary function of breasts is feeding babies. I am not disputing that there are many who don't. In practise, however, never, in the 3 years+ I spent feeding my children, has a child or teenager had a reaction that made me uncomfortable. Mostly. people don't pay any attention at all (which is great, I actually don't want people drawing attention to the fact that. however discreetly, I have my boob out in public - I would feel horrible if I thought that people were discussing me on line afterwards) One middle aged gentleman was lovely when I was feeding my youngest at an airport. He was sending his teenagers to buy drinks. I was sending my 7 year old to buy a drink for himself, and trying to keep him in my eyeline (I was right outside the shop) and, he simply checked whether he could get me anything, since I couldn't do that, and a 7 yr old is barely reliable enough to get themselves something.

I mean, I know people DO have much more negative experiences than I did, which can be really damaging for the individual and the breastfeeding rates generally, as people do get very anxious about feeding in public - I know I did. But really, it is unremarkable, so, mostly, people are not bothered.

Interesting story. I almost feel this is a taboo subject to discuss/type, but shouldn't be.

Forty-seven states, DC and the Virgin Islands have laws that specifically allow moms to breastfeed in any public or private location. Two of the remaining states — South Dakota and Virginia — exempt breastfeeding moms from public indecency or nudity laws, and Idaho is the only state that has yet to pass any similar laws. (source Huffington post).

I viewed that as being presumptuous.

Apology accepted. I was thinking that we are in a day where if someone is offended, it can cause a litigious stir. I am now merely asking the question that if someone is offended by public breastfeeding(s), do they have a legal argument or position? Yes, I've read on this thread that is a law in the U.S. about a mother/woman can feed anytime or anywhere.

And I have learned about varying viewpoints on public breastfeeding at Disney.

But my apology, though sincere, did come with a qualifier: "...implies that you consider it something out of the ordinary. I apologize if my inference there was incorrect". It seems you DO consider breastfeeding in public something out of the ordinary, so my inference was correct. Why would you mention it otherwise? A "litigious stir"? So you are saying that if someone is offended by public breastfeeding, they could sue...the mother? The venue? And no, they have zero legal argument or position, because of the laws we have already referenced. I hope you have learned much, much more than that people have varying viewpoints.

But my apology, though sincere, did come with a qualifier: "...implies that you consider it something out of the ordinary. I apologize if my inference there was incorrect". It seems you DO consider breastfeeding in public something out of the ordinary, so my inference was correct. Why would you mention it otherwise? A "litigious stir"? So you are saying that if someone is offended by public breastfeeding, they could sue...the mother? The venue? And no, they have zero legal argument or position, because of the laws we have already referenced. I hope you have learned much, much more than that people have varying viewpoints.

So if it was SO ordinary, why are there some posters in this thread that mention things like a woman can be more modest or are taken back by a full shirt removal? Are you now saying that no one will notice a woman breastfeeding anywhere in the U.S.? Disney? Obviously, this thread has already shown there are folks that may not think it is SO ordinary. If it was SO ordinary, why are there private locations, apparently even at Disney, that address this issue? Do you think that SO ordinary only applies to your definition?

Isn't there a law about an employer providing a location that is private so a woman can pump her breast milk? Dissecting your statement further with your apparent "sincere apology", points to a private location, besides restrooms, an employer is mandated to supply.

Aren't laws ABLE to be challenged? I pointed out that there is a state in the U.S. that hasn't adopted an acceptance of public breastfeeding, so the anytime anywhere also comes with a "qualifier".

So if it was SO ordinary, why are there some posters in this thread that mention things like a woman can be more modest or are taken back by a full shirt removal? Are you now saying that no one will notice a woman breastfeeding anywhere in the U.S.? Disney? Obviously, this thread has already shown there are folks that may not think it is SO ordinary. If it was SO ordinary, why are there private locations, apparently even at Disney, that address this issue? Do you think that SO ordinary only applies to your definition?

Isn't there a law about an employer providing a location that is private so a woman can pump her breast milk? Dissecting your statement further with your apparent "sincere apology", points to a private location, besides restrooms, an employer is mandated to supply.

Aren't laws ABLE to be challenged? I pointed out that there is a state in the U.S. that hasn't adopted an acceptance of public breastfeeding, so the anytime anywhere also comes with a "qualifier".

Uncle. I'm not sure what your agenda is here. (And I'm glad I don't live in Idaho, although the lack of a law on the books does not necessarily mean that public breastfeeding is not accepted, just that specific protections for breastfeeding mothers have not been codified.)

I'm also very happy that for those mothers who, for whatever personal reason, are not comfortable or able to breastfeed in public (some babies need a quiet area without distractions to feed), businesses often or always provide alternative, private, comfortable locations. My points have nothing to do with that. Just that any mother who DOES want to feed her baby in public should be permitted to do so, and her right to do so is protected. It doesn't (and shouldn't) matter what you or teenagers or anyone else think about it.

Last edited:
Uncle. I'm not sure what your agenda is here. (And I'm glad I don't live in Idaho, although the lack of a law on the books does not necessarily mean that public breastfeeding is not accepted, just that specific protections for breastfeeding mothers have not been codified.)

I'm also very happy that for those mothers who, for whatever personal reason, are not comfortable or able to breastfeed in public (some babies need a quiet area without distractions to feed), businesses often or always provide alternative, private, comfortable locations. My points have nothing to do with that. Just that any mother who DOES want to feed her baby in public should be permitted to do so, and her right to do so is protected. It doesn't (and shouldn't) matter what you or teenagers or anyone else think about it.

I think ALL mothers should have a right to a public or a private location at their own discretion (including Idaho). A question in my mind is why did we (the U.S.) even need a law on this subject and what caused this legalistic approach? Not looking for an answer here.

My genuine apologies if I came across confrontational.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!