Pirates and Pals Cruise Help!

Thanks for the info. I have not had a chance to get on disboards. I am sorry to hear that there is a chance for limited viewing of the fireworks but I think my DD will be happy to do the cruise as it will be something different. :thumbsup2

Only the two HA seats at the back were blocked views. I was sat the furthest away from the fireworks and could see them all if I bent slightly down. I could do this as no-one was sat next to me.

Caron

I'm not understanding the seating arrangement on the boat - does anyone have a photo of the boat used? Does it have rows of seating (as I thought someone described) etc? I'm just trying to picture how two spots in the stern had blocked viewing when no one else did - I'm picturing a pilot's cabin roof as being the object that blocked the view, so that would make a whole section have difficulties, not just two spots.

I'm not understanding the seating arrangement on the boat - does anyone have a photo of the boat used? Does it have rows of seating (as I thought someone described) etc? I'm just trying to picture how two spots in the stern had blocked viewing when no one else did - I'm picturing a pilot's cabin roof as being the object that blocked the view, so that would make a whole section have difficulties, not just two spots.

I took some photos but haven't had time to sort them out yet but when I do I'll post them.

The HA seating is at the back of the boat. The rest of the boat does have benches of seating but is approx 36" below the HA seating and you have to step down into it whereas the HA area is level with the dock so that a small ramp can be used.

Caron

I think I found a photo online, but it is on the wdwnews site, and I can't enlarge, link, or cut/paste it.

Is the boat long, aqua green/bluish with a full length canopy on it?

barrysprot36, thanks for the description - sounds like the height of the accessible area is the problem, don't know how that could be remedied at all - if the area was lowered, it wouldn't be accessible! Also, depending on if the boat is wood or fiberglass, not something easily done. Perhaps removing the canopy would help, but then there would be no protection from the rain or sun.

Boating is notoriously non-handicapped accessible. You can't mess with waterlines, ballast, or anchoring. The smaller the boat, the harder it is to make it accessible, and the best way to do it is to design it that way from scratch.

I think I found a photo online, but it is on the wdwnews site, and I can't enlarge, link, or cut/paste it.

Is the boat long, aqua green/bluish with a full length canopy on it?

barrysprot36, thanks for the description - sounds like the height of the accessible area is the problem, don't know how that could be remedied at all - if the area was lowered, it wouldn't be accessible! Also, depending on if the boat is wood or fiberglass, not something easily done. Perhaps removing the canopy would help, but then there would be no protection from the rain or sun.

Boating is notoriously non-handicapped accessible. You can't mess with waterlines, ballast, or anchoring. The smaller the boat, the harder it is to make it accessible, and the best way to do it is to design it that way from scratch.

Yes that is the description of the boat. I understand what you mean about accessibility on a boat, the least Disney could do is warn of a possible restricted view though.

Caron

I'm really sorry to hear you had a less than amazing time. I hope they look into making the HA seating area better in the future.

We have booked this cruise on our trip and ODS is SO excited. He has serious sensory issues (but likes fireworks and boats) - was there music?

I'm really sorry to hear you had a less than amazing time. I hope they look into making the HA seating area better in the future.

We have booked this cruise on our trip and ODS is SO excited. He has serious sensory issues (but likes fireworks and boats) - was there music?

Yes there was the music and it was pretty loud on the boat with kids getting excited.

I've finally got round to posting some pics of our boat and wheelchair area at the back.

P6050251.jpg

DSCF6347.jpg

DSCF6332.jpg

Restricted view of the fireworks

DSCF6346.jpg

DSCF6343-1.jpg

DSCF6342.jpg

DSCF6338.jpg

Caron

Caron - the pics were most helpful. Thanks.

I am hoping the magic of Disney will overcome the sensory issues... this could be amazing or it could be disasterous... I'll hope for the former!

I am rehashing this thread. My son loves pirates and we hope to do this for his 4th birthday trip this year. My brother will be with us and he is in a motorized chair. I am just looking for any current reviews or pictures of the boat. I am sure he will understand if he has a limited view but for the 70 something dollar price tag I want to make sure he can see something! Thanks for any recent reviews or input!

Let's see... it's been about a year since we last did the PnP cruise - it's a family favorite, and on our "must do" list every trip, even though everyone is "grown up" now! :D

You start off at Contemporary Resort - if you arrive a bit early, you get to do a scavenger hunt around CR that's fun for everyone, and helps keep kiddos busy! When you check in, just be sure to let them know that you will be taking his chair on the cruise, and they will tell you that you will go down to the docks a bit early (with a CM) to get settled.

The party is SO much fun! There are a couple of pirates who will hang out and tell jokes and keep things kind of moving; in some ways it's a traditional WDW dessert party, but really well themed to the whole Pirate Cruise concept. TONS of snacks you can take with you, and the highlight is a Photopass Op with a certain animated Pirate, and his buddy usually comes along in a blue striped shirt as well! :)

When it's time to go down to the docks, they will let you know, and you will leave just a bit early to go with a CM down the elevators to the dock level. You will board at the back of the boat; there's a portable ramp. You have the option to leave his chair at the back, and carry him to a seat anywhere you want on the boat. If you decide to sit forward, I recommend the first three or four rows; you will interact more with your Pirate host that way! If it's a cool night, there will be lots of clean, white blankets to snuggle up in!

Usually within a few minutes, the Pirate host will lead the rest of the Guests down, and everyone gets boarded and settled. (If it's a big night, they will run two boats, FYI) Even before you leave the dock, the Pirate will start telling jokes, and singing and playing trivia games with the kids! Typically every kid "wins" at least one bit of "pirate booty" to take home! :)

You float around the lake, and sing and laugh and have a great time - and get an up close view of the Electrical Water Parade! until it's time to get positioned in front of MK. You don't really see much of MK from lake level, but the fireworks are wonderful, and they pipe the soundtrack into the boat.

When the fireworks are done, you go back over the water bridge at the end of CR, and around to the docks, and as you are headed back up from the docks to CR, you will encounter one VERY special character (spoiler alert: he's good friends with Tink!) and your evening of Pirate fun has concluded!

We love this cruise so much - it's just great family fun, with tons of corny jokes and puns and trivia and sing-along... the Pirate hosts are amazing performers, and we have yet to have a bad experience on this cruise!

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have never stayed in my personal mobility device at the back; I am still able to move to a seat, so I can't speak to what the experience is at the back of the boat. I can tell you that we have been on cruises where there were kids who couldn't transfer, and the Pirate will make his way back there to interact with the folks in the HA area.

I don't have many pictures - it's always dark LOL, and the boat is moving just enough that it's usually tough to get good fireworks shots. The benches *are* a step or two down lower in the boat, so they do get a less obstructed view, however, the captain usually tries to position the boat so that everyone gets the best possible view. The HA area in the back of the boat is up higher, so you see over everyone else's head and have a great view of your Pirate host, and that may be the most important thing to your little guy anyway! :)

I hope you all enjoy it! If your little guy loves to ride the boats, don't forget that you can ride the boats from HS to Epcot (and back, if you want!) as well as from Disney Springs to OKW and/or POR/POFQ as well. Those are fun, relaxing rides, and you can hop off at a Resort to explore and have a snack, or just take the round trip.

Last edited:
We did this in October with a manual wheelchair for my son. The boat was totally accessible (the back) and they allowed the wheelchairs to go out first. There was one seat and then the row in front of the wheelchair space for my family. It was higher in the back but we were on the firework side and the view was awesome!! The party was fun and I would love to do it again!! It was very wheelchair friendly!

We did this in October with a manual wheelchair for my son. The boat was totally accessible (the back) and they allowed the wheelchairs to go out first. There was one seat and then the row in front of the wheelchair space for my family. It was higher in the back but we were on the firework side and the view was awesome!! The party was fun and I would love to do it again!! It was very wheelchair friendly!
Thank you!!

If you have a choice of which side of the boat, pick the left side for the view from HA spots. My sister stayed in her EVC and I sat beside her. We had a great view of the fireworks and could see everything going on in the boat. My aunt had been sitting on the bench in front of us with the rest of our group, but moved to the seat next to the empty HA spot to the right and could not get a great view unless she leaned down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter