Pin Trading Starter Set

MamaBelleRN

Mouseketeer
We are making our second trip to WDW in December. After watching Tim Tracker, my kids really want to do pin trading. Where can you get the starter sets? I didn’t see them when I looked at the Disney store online and the Amazon ones didn’t look genuine. Any tips on best place to buy?

you can check eBay otherwise in the parks or DS will have starter sets :) pin trading is so much fun our kids love it!

If you get pins from ebay in lots that say they are "tradeable" and say that the pins shown may not be what you will actually get, they may be scrappers and/or counterfeits.

There are a few authentic pin sellers on Disney Pin Forum, Facebook, etc. where you can get authentic pins (random) for $1.50-$2 each + shipping.

If you get pins from ebay in lots that say they are "tradeable" and say that the pins shown may not be what you will actually get, they may be scrappers and/or counterfeits.

There are a few authentic pin sellers on Disney Pin Forum, Facebook, etc. where you can get authentic pins (random) for $1.50-$2 each + shipping.

Is this true for the eBay ones that come with the laynard and card? They say ‘authentic’ but :confused3

I’ll have to go check out the pin forum and FB groups. Any specific FB group you’d recommend?

And thanks for the help- we’re definitely new to this!

Is this true for the eBay ones that come with the laynard and card? They say ‘authentic’ but :confused3

I’ll have to go check out the pin forum and FB groups. Any specific FB group you’d recommend?

And thanks for the help- we’re definitely new to this!

I'll check what groups I am part of but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head:
Disney Pin Traders
Disney Pin Trading (worldwide)
Pin junkies
Disney pin trading/selling

Just bought a set on amazon, said to be real. All are fakes. Good fakes, and might pass on a trade. I will not use them but , my daughter will ware the cool ones.

Pins on Amazon are usually fakes but ngl most CMs wont notice or care even if they are. Since you're going to trade them anyways it wont really matter but if its important enough to you there are pin trading starter sets in pretty much every merchandise location at the Disney parks but they're a lot more expensive than what you're going to buy on ebay but a lot better quality too.

We are making our second trip to WDW in December. After watching Tim Tracker, my kids really want to do pin trading. Where can you get the starter sets? I didn’t see them when I looked at the Disney store online and the Amazon ones didn’t look genuine. Any tips on best place to buy?

Hey there ! I would recommend checking out Booster packs and beyond right outside of WDW they sell real Disney pins at great prices :)

Avoid the “gift shop” type locations around central Florida and eBay lots - those will turn out to be fakes

The "official" starter sets from the park are overpriced by Disney. Ebay lots are usually great, and even though they will be fake, depending on the age of your kids, will it really matter? No 40 year old cast member being paid minimum wage is going to tell a five year old kid that they won't trade with them because the pin isn't real.

I'm a big fan of Pinderella Shop. She sells grab bags of authentic pins for less than $2 each.

I would check out Disney Outlet store. Sometimes you find pins and lanyards there at a reasonable price. And you are buying from Disney. I will have to check out Booster pack next time I am in Orlando

I purchased an Epcot 35th lanyard for 5 bucks from the outlet last time

Last edited:
I'll echo mckenk- I just received a few pin "booster packs" (packaged sets) from Pinderella that I bought for trading purposes in the park, and it worked out to $2.29 each with shipping. I figured that this way, the pins I bought are still fairly cheap and I know I'm not distributing fake pins in the park. (Even if I pick one up from a Cast Member lanyard, it will be to keep, and at least it's one less fake in circulation.)

Does anyone know if the starter sets & mystery packs being sold on places like ebay are likely to be real? I'd like to buy some sealed sets, but Disney's website really doesn't offer very many. (Right now they only have 38 total pin related products of any kind on their site. that seems so low to me. ??? )

I'd think that sealed bags/boxes are more likely to be real (as opposed to those big lots that I know are usually all fakes or scrappers), but I also know people will try to fake anything and I know I'm not well-versed in pins to tell ahead of time if packaging looks dodgy. I noticed someone selling the blank pin cards in a lot, and that made me feel really wary even about people selling individual pins on cards now. :-/

We have some, but this is the first time both kids seem really enthused by the idea of trading. And while I know we'll likely come home with fakes/scrappers from their trades with cast members, I want to be sure I'm buying them real pins to begin with. (Despite all I've read and watched online I still can't tell a darn thing about if the ones we already received from others are real or not, and I wouldn't want to be hovering over their trading inspecting pins, anyway. That sounds like a very negative thing to bring into what is right now a very simple, fun activity for them.)

Thanks for any insight. :)

For the Disney starter packs sold in the parks the packs with 7 pins for $30 seem to be the best deal on a per pin basis. That's what we used last time we were at WDW. We bought a lanyard for each child and a 7-pack of pins. We instructed them to pick out a starter pack that they would be happy to trade away. That seemed to work pretty well.

Does anyone know if the starter sets & mystery packs being sold on places like ebay are likely to be real? I'd like to buy some sealed sets, but Disney's website really doesn't offer very many. (Right now they only have 38 total pin related products of any kind on their site. that seems so low to me. ??? )

I'd think that sealed bags/boxes are more likely to be real (as opposed to those big lots that I know are usually all fakes or scrappers), but I also know people will try to fake anything and I know I'm not well-versed in pins to tell ahead of time if packaging looks dodgy. I noticed someone selling the blank pin cards in a lot, and that made me feel really wary even about people selling individual pins on cards now. :-/

We have some, but this is the first time both kids seem really enthused by the idea of trading. And while I know we'll likely come home with fakes/scrappers from their trades with cast members, I want to be sure I'm buying them real pins to begin with. (Despite all I've read and watched online I still can't tell a darn thing about if the ones we already received from others are real or not, and I wouldn't want to be hovering over their trading inspecting pins, anyway. That sounds like a very negative thing to bring into what is right now a very simple, fun activity for them.)

Thanks for any insight. :)
If you buy sealed mystery packs or sealed booster packs you should be fine. You can usually find then on Ebay for a decent price. That is all I use to trade. I won't put more fakes into circulation even though I know I have traded for fakes, if I like them that is fine :)

Thank you for posting this question and everyone for the responses! I had essentially the same question about getting started and not introducing fakes so it is very much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!