Pin Collection Ideas Anyone?

mommyrom

Happy to Call SSR Home :-)
We have a family collection of trading pins representing highlights of our trips to WDW...Stumped on how to display them other than on the lanyards :confused3 ..Any ideas from you creative DISer's? TIA for any suggestions... :wave:

My brother just told me he bought a cork board and they keep all of their pins displayed on it.

you could buy a table runner and attach one end to a hanger of some sort and put all your pins on that and hang it on a wall. DD has all her irish dance medals attached to a table runner which is now hanging on her door. maggie

I've been thinking of getting a cork board and using a sharp razor-exacto knife and cutting it into the shape of Mickey's head.

I was thinking of framing ours and I know there are some type of boards out there for pins, but I haven't done any research on it yet. I like the suggestions I've heard so far. :thumbsup2

Jeanne

This wouldn't work if you have a ton of pins, but each trip I buy 5-6 pins of different theme (like princesses or Pooh and friends) then I choose a complimenting scrapbook paper as the background then mount them in a shadow box. I really like how they turn out.

I have art canvas that I'm going to cover in fabric, ribbon, and frame for DDs pin collections (if I ever get around to it :eek: )

I have squares of cork on my studio/office walls (it's an AKL themed room w/ squares of animal print wallies, so the cork goes really well) for my pins. I've also seen them on curtains or bed canopies.

I have two standard size cork boards that I covered with a "simple" disney fabric (old disney pillow cases) and use that to display my favorite pins.

BTW-I LOVE Emily's pins!!!

Speaking of pins they are 20% off at disneyshopping today plus free shipping. You can get the 3 piece ones that are on sale for $9.99 for $7.99 after the 20% making them $2.66/ea

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas everyone! Soon, a trip to the craft store is on Mommy's list! :thumbsup2

DH will be thrilled!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Both mods on the Collecting Board here on the DIS have framed pin collections & have posted photos over time.

I have never done the pin trading thing. Are they really expensive? Another question, we will be on our honeymoon and I wondered if they give a special one for free at DTD because I hear they do that at MK. TIA

We also use the cork board and then put them in a frame.. Try a shadow box too... :thumbsup2

we do the holiday event ones seperate

:goodvibes

Disneyland_emily said:
Pins? Did someone say Pins???

As the proud owner of almost 500 of those bad boys... My choice of holding is cork boards (for work in progress sets) and frames (for completed sets)

Most of the pictures are outdated but a look at some of my pins (the last three are pretty current-)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4084831&a=31905689&f=

-em

Hi em,
Love your collection!
If you don't mind my asking, the frame in the upper left corner, did you write a poem or something and add pins? I'd love to do something creative for my husband with the pins he has.
Thanks!!

I found a shadow box last October at Target that works really well for displaying pins. The front is hinged and opens like a door; when you shut it, it is held closed with magnets. Inside, there is fabric on the back wall that apparently has styrofoam under because you can push pins right into it. Because of the door and the ease of pushing pins into the back, I figured my DDs could switch the pins out any time they're in the mood to display something different.

Yup-

In high school we had to do a version of "everything in life I learned in Kindergarten" but with something we loved. I choose Disney and I *really* liked how it turned out to the point when I was at the Disney Store one day (when we had one..) they had all the magic music moments pins dirt cheap and I decided to do one with pins.

I'll try to remember to photograph just that set so ya can see the words-

-em

I have a deep frame that came with a puzzle map of the local area. It's deep enough that I could use a piece of that foam display board the kids use for school projects to put the pins into. (I used black) There was already a piece of mat in it. That holds about 50 of my pins - although there is room for more. I have the 4 parks set in the middle with a gap around them...kind of framing them & then the rest fill out to the edge.

But my favorite thing is something my sister, MsSocks, made for me! She took 3 embroidery hoops - 1 larger & 2 smaller - and made a Mickey head. She stretched black fabric over the hoops & then hot glued the hoops into the Mickey shape. I'd take a photo to show you, but DH knocked it off the wall when he was rearranging furniture recently & one of the ears came off. I haven't decided if I'm just going to hot glue it back or try something else. But it is soooooo cute! :teeth:

I decided to post photos of what I have after all.
22635ShadowBox-SmallEdit.jpg

The Mickey head I just laid on a table to take the photo. The pins on it are really too big for it, but I was too lazy to move them all around - I kept thinking I'd "get around to it". You could use larger hoops to mount more pins...on this one, the large hoop is about 5 inches across.
22635MickeyPinHolder-SmallEdit.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!