piecing together a reservation. Is this frowned upon?

huskerfanatic7

Mouseketeer
I'm a recent new owner and We are staying 7 nights in early December. I was able to get the last 5 nights at the BWV and the first two nights at the AKL. I really would like to stay at a monorail or epcot resort the first two nights instead of AKL. Through stalking the RAT I have reservations for the first night at the BWV and the BCV. and for the 2nd night POLY and BLT. I do have waitlists but until that goes through I'm continuing to stalk to see if I can get complete the two night reservation at any one of those resorts.

If you have the points, are aware of any banking deadlines in case that would be an issue for you, go for it! I hope you get something you are happy with!

Welcome Home!

And realize that split reservations can take away park time. Check out is 11:00, room ready after 4:00.

:earsboy: Bill

Personally, I wouldn't want to do 1-nights stays. One move (whether AKL or one of the others-BWV) shouldn't affect you too much. We have done a couple of split stays. We had bell services pick up our bags before we left for the park in the morning, and they were delivered to our room at the new resort shortly after we arrived there (either before dinner or after we were done with parks for the day).

Personally, I wouldn't want to do 1-nights stays. One move (whether AKL or one of the others-BWV) shouldn't affect you too much. We have done a couple of split stays. We had bell services pick up our bags before we left for the park in the morning, and they were delivered to our room at the new resort shortly after we arrived there (either before dinner or after we were done with parks for the day).
\

Thanks. Yeah we will only move once if we have too. Hopefully the waitlist on the one night I need at the BWV come thru or the Beach club so we can just walk over.

owners do this all the time. no worries. Just makes sure you are good for banking dates and all, since you are using a lot of points to temporarily reserve all those nights.

And realize that split reservations can take away park time. Check out is 11:00, room ready after 4:00.

:earsboy: Bill
we have never found this to be true. Pack up the night before just before bed, let the bellhop take care of your luggage. Do online check-in and when you are done with the park, you go to your new room. If anything, it is more of a pain if you are just hanging at the resort because you don't have any place to go if you don't want to stay at the pool area while waiting.

No one should have issues as long as everyone follows the rules that are allowed.
If you are doing what is allowed and not trying to get around the rules or getting some special treatment that should not be allowed, then go for it.

I actually like split stays, and have done split stays between three resorts. My last three WDW have been split stays. We stayed at AKL for one night and used that time to just explore the resort and didn’t go to the parks. We rented a car and put the luggage in our trunk between switching resorts. There are so many different resorts that I kind of feel cheated if I only see one each trip :rotfl2:

The only thing wrong with what you are doing is that it may cause stress and you may need a few more Jack Daniels than normal to get through the days you are stalking.

ill be fine with staying the first 2 nights at AKL if i have to. No stress at all. I think this makes being an owner more fun. I love stalking the RAT everyday.

You are finding out how important it is to buy where you want to stay.
Bill, I doubt that's applicable in this situation. I get the sense they were inside the 7 month window when they booked. Plus the "buy where you want to stay" assumes you ACTUALLY know where that is. Many don't and essentially no new owners do unless they have extensive other DVC history.

I always do split stays and love them, but this year, ended up doing a few 1 nights because my DD 21's friend came with us on our trip last minute and I wanted to have my own room so I gave them the 4 night room we booked at Poly when it was just the two of us. Because this happened in May and we were going in July, I could only get 2 of the 4 nights at Poly. So, I booked first night at VGF and 2nd night at BLT, thinking it was no big deal because we had the girls room too. Gotta say, won't ever do that again...doing a few nights and then moving is fine..but not 1 night and then 1 night, and then again. So, hopefully, you will be able to get the first 2 nights somewhere...keep checking and you just never know as 1 night waitlists are easier to get than longer!!

BCV waitlist came thru today!!! Now I have the first two nights at the Beach Club in a 1BR and the last 5 nights at the Boardwalk Studio-Boardwalk view for the 2nd week of December. I'm very surprised I got all this since I received my points around the 6 month mark. Just goes to show what you can get if you Stalk the RAT in combination with the waitlists.

Last edited:
I actually like split stays, and have done split stays between three resorts. My last three WDW have been split stays. We stayed at AKL for one night and used that time to just explore the resort and didn’t go to the parks. We rented a car and put the luggage in our trunk between switching resorts. There are so many different resorts that I kind of feel cheated if I only see one each trip :rotfl2:

We like split stays a lot, but prefer to stay in each location at least 3 nights. I don't think I would want to do 1 day at one resort, a 2nd day at a 2nd resort, and then 3rd day move to a third resort for the rest of the trip, even if those first two resorts were Boardwalk and Beach Club. Every time you move, you have to pack up all your stuff and get bell services to pick it up, then you are "homeless" for at least 5 hours. As I said, once a trip it's OK, but too often just not appealing.

As far as what you are doing, I agree with others it doesn't seem like anything you are trying to do are objectionable or trying to go around the rules. Hope you enjoy your stay, but also to tell you honestly that AKV is our home resort and it is a wonderful resort so the worst case of being "stuck" there for two nights I wouldn't really feel bad about it. I can never get enough of that resort. (Which I guess it's a good thing we are owners there.)

Pack up the night before just before bed, let the bellhop take care of your luggage. Do online check-in and when you are done with the park, you go to your new room.

We have occasionally done split stays -usually 2-3 nights at boardwalk before moving to BCV. Our strategy is exactly as above - pack and then call bell services before leaving for the parks. They will refrigerate stuff, move it to your new resort, no fuss no muss.

Just make sure you have enough cash for tips AND make sure you know what all you handed over to bell services. One year they misplaced a bag of refrigerator items but they replaced them because I knew exactly what was where.

I have a question about split stays.... doesn't this affect ADR's? I thought I read that you can't book for the last day of your trip when you're at the booking window for the first stay... that they have different booking window dates?? Is that true? If so, how much success do you have with reservations for the later part of your trip? Any tips on that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!