• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

picture question...

goofyman

DIS4EVER
how do i reduce a picture in bytes or kilibytes so i can post it in a reply or post?
-goofyman

Give MaryJo's Tips a try first and see if that's the information you need. Down near the bottom of her post she shows not only the code for reducing the image size, but also some examples.

There are several ways to reduce the byte size of an image.

1. Change the physical size in height and width. This should be done with a software program that can resize the image file for you. I use Paint Shop Pro but the same thing can be done in MS Paint. Doing it with the width=xxx or height=xxx attributes in the &ltimg html code will reduce the size at which it will show up on the page but not the byte size.

2. Change the file type. Some file formats are more efficient than others. Bitmap (.bmp files) are often quite large as there is no compression. JPEG and GIF (.jpg and .gif files) are compressed and therefor reduce the byte count. Usually GIF is smaller than JPEG but not always. It is possible with this type of compression to also reduce the quality of the picture. The same programs will usually allow you to save a picture in a different format.

3. Reduce the number of colors in the image. Some file formats already limit the number of colors in an image. Saving as a GIF for example will reduce the number of colors in the image to 256. JPEG will allow up to 16.7 Million colors but you can set the number of colors you want. Many clipart images can actually get by with 16 colors and not have any degrading of the image. Again the number of colors can be changed with the image programs.

I know this is sort of technical. If I can answer any specific questions, let me know.

Bob

~~~~~

Hey goofyman, I grew up in B'ham! Still have family there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter