Picture of the day for the Fort.

Nov-7.jpg

Nov-8.jpg

One of my kids' FW favorites for more than 20 years (of course there was a lot more lawnmower to see back then)...
DSC01768.jpg

There isn't much left of the Fort Wilderness Railroad............but if you know where to look............

Nov-16.jpg

SamRoc said:
CottontailCurl said:
Thats such a nice story, i miss them too! We were in a preferred loop also one time and there were 5 of them around our motorhome. We used to love driving the electric cart around and spotting them in different areas. I have no idea why Disney removed them.

Disney removed them because of complaints from campers, at least that's what I've heard as the most common reason given. I can tell you that peacocks are aggressive birds, and they were known to peck on people's campers quite a bit.

I personally miss the peacocks tons, they were such a part of Ft. Wilderness to me. However, my fiancee and I just bought a house in Delray Beach, Florida, a month and a half ago. And look what we have tons of in our neighborhood....

peackock.jpg

That is on top of our house by the way, there must be at least 8 females, quite a few babies, and about 4 or 5 males (the males are the ones with the pretty colors, the females, such as the one in the picture, do not have any color).

Needless to say, I am constantly reminded of Ft. Wilderness every day. Especially when having a nice morning breakfast on the patio and you hear the sound of the peacock, that high pitched kazoo type sound, reminds me every time of Ft. Wilderness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!