Pickup truck/SUV owners intentionally blocking electric charging spaces in parking lots

Wow, this is so crazy. I know a lot of people feel that any environmentally friendly act though is somehow "un-American" or just wrong is same way. They feel threatened by a changing world I guess. I have tried to eliminate some plastic waste on my own, and I get accused of it. It's really weird.

As for pick-up trucks and such, I totally get if someone likes to drive them, but I don't really understand those who buy a big truck and never actually use it as one. Haul something in that payload, buddy! That's what it's for.

There's some brainwashing going on by certain media outlets and echo chambers of like-minded people who think everything is a conspiracy....believing in climate change is apparently part of that vast conspiracy as well :rolleyes:

It would also take about 75 minutes to charge a nearly depleted Model S at one of Tesla's Superchargers. However, they're considerably faster than other systems. Still - a lot of drivers are going to be using them short distances where it might only take an hour to top off the battery.

Improperly utilized yes it can take over an hour to fully charge from 0% to 100% however no Tesla owner withba brain does that when traveling. From 10% to 60% takes roughly 15-20 minutes. It’s the charge taper beyond 60% which takes the longest.

As far as free access only on older cars also incorrect unless you consider a March 2018 delivery an old tesla.

I don't think it's a "crazy" reason, unless the electric charging stations/parking spots are in the back of the lot. I can't say I have much experience with charging stations, but our local Whole Foods has them. They are right up front, next to the handicapped parking. Why should the best general parking be reserved for electric vehicles? It just fits in with the smug and pretentious attitude associated, fairly or not, with drivers of EVs. Now, this doesn't impact my life--I've shopped at Whole Foods a total of once, no intention of going back. But I can understand how this would grate on college kids--especially if parking is at a premium, which it's been on every college campus I've been on.

But shouldn't that be the property owner's prerogative? If you have a problem with where Whole Foods (or a university) puts the EV chargers, take it up with them. Not with the drivers who want and expect/plan to be able to charge their cars at the provided facilities.

I don't care if parking is at a premium (and on this campus it only sort-of is... students complain about the parking, but there are two parking structures on campus that are seldom more than half full... people just don't want to walk to them. One is adjacent to the EV spots). The pick-up owner's desire for a more convenient spot shouldn't take precedence over the EV driver's ability to charge so he can actually make it home after class. But what made it really galling in this specific case is that the spots weren't even especially good - they're really close to one academic building and somewhat close to the library, but not central to the campus as a whole, to the largest academic buildings, to the dorms, or to the student center. It is a safe bet that at least some of the drivers "making a point" by blocking the charging stations were choosing a LESS convenient parking spot in order to do so.

(snip) single parking spot.
Now Raiders tailgates are legendary.

120874336.jpg

You're right. No way to fit two halves of a 55 gallon drum and a suckling pig in the back of a hatchback.
(Way OT) For those concerned about getting germs on their fingers when using the finger scanners at the park entrance, the finger scanners are no more unsanitary than the rail on which the pig above (click 'expand') is straddling. Unless those tailgaters first swabbed down the rail with Lysol(tm) and then alcohol.

Wow, this is so crazy. I know a lot of people feel that any environmentally friendly act though is somehow "un-American" or just wrong in some way. They feel threatened by a changing world I guess. I have tried to eliminate some plastic waste on my own, and I get accused of it. It's really weird.

As for pick-up trucks and such, I totally get if someone likes to drive them, but I don't really understand those who buy a big truck and never actually use it as one. Haul something in that payload, buddy! That's what it's for.
And if you don't go off road, throw some mud on your suv and pretend you do.

(Way OT) For those concerned about getting germs on their fingers when using the finger scanners at the park entrance, the finger scanners are no more unsanitary than the rail on which the pig above (click 'expand') is straddling. Unless those tailgaters first swabbed down the rail with Lysol(tm) and then alcohol.

Wouldn’t the heat handle all that? How sanitary it is vs how germy it is are different things.

It's definitely not healthy for the pig.

It is as much as your grates on your outdoor grill. That contraption is made to cook a pig like that, they didn't just get a rail out of the yard. I am sure they clean it the same way you would your grill after they use it.

It is as much as your grates on your outdoor grill. That contraption is made to cook a pig like that, they didn't just get a rail out of the yard. I am sure they clean it the same way you would your grill after they use it.

Could it be any worse than the grates on the grills at my local parks? You know, the kind in a rusty box where there's caked on debris that's rarely scrubbed off? I remember a company picnic where we used a wire brush to try and clean it off, and it still looked all black and rough.

IMG_5663-e1399394999340-600x400.jpg

This thread makes me really appreciate my corner of the country where I live. Almost every other car here is a Tesla (no exaggeration), I rarely ever see a big, obnoxious pickup truck, would never see anyone "rolling coal" due to strict emissions laws, and people are courteous in parking lots, leaving the charging station spots empty even when the rest of the lot is full and it takes 10 minutes of circling to find a spot.

How does one ride like a douche bag? What are the regulations they are not following, for example? Here in MA, cyclists just have to follow the same rules of the road as cars. They tend to stay to the right on roads, but they don't have to.
As a cyclist and tourer, I can tell you.

First is the misconception that roads were built for cars. They were actually paved for bicycles first. Second is the general driving public thinks that in the gutter is where cyclists should be, you know, with all the sticks, broken tail lights, glass bottles, sticks, and dead animals are. Cyclists are to ride as far right as practical, which can mean clear over in the left tire track if that is as far right as possible due to road condition.

Now for the ones that ride like a douche bag? They don't slow down let alone stop for stop lights and stop signs. I don't either, but I only do it when I have a sight line and no other traffic is around, and I will slow down but not necessarily stop.

And that's about it. Just like how there are millions of trucks on the road and a handful of tough guy rednecks drive them like douche bags, there are millions of cyclists on the road and only a handful ride like douche bags, but these are the ones that are noticed, and thus all cyclists are like this same as we see in this thread talking about the "Brodozers" and the compensation for something relates to everyone who owns a truck.

Where can a farmer with a huge tractor pull over that a cyclist cannot? If there is enough room for a tractor, surely there is enough for one little bicycle? Question mark. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Got to agree with Gumbo on the late for work thing. If the cyclist is holding up traffic he/she needs to pull over or move or whatever.

Some areas are just more bicycle friendly than others. In areas without bike lanes, it can be pretty frustrating for car drivers to get behind them. Add to that many of us live in areas with lots of hills and curves so its not like you can safely pass.
I certainly can not pull into something that looks like this (a general picture I just picked off the web just to show big gravel) like a tractor can....

1421486665_2-minuscrushrock.jpg

Also on the diesel pump thing... I don't drive a diesel vehicle. I pull up to the open pump available to fill my car. I do not nor have I ever thought that there is only 1 pump with diesel. I don't pull up to the station and inspect all the pumps to see which one has a diesel pump because most assume all the pumps have diesel because they don't ever need to use it.

And now for this...

Then pull into the nearest driveway and stop. Honestly, all the lame excuses in the world simply do not justify deliberately holding up significantly faster moving traffic.

Besides, as previously mentioned, there usually IS a cyclist riding right in that so-called “danger zone”. The problem is typically the 3 or more riders directly to his or her left.
All the lame excuses in the world simply do not justify the fact that a cyclist actually has by rights of the Constitution of the US and the freedom of movement has more right to the road than motor vehicle drivers because driving a motor vehicle is a privilege. We have equal rights to the freedom of travel, it's just that you chose the method that is a privilege.

Yes, cyclists who ride side by side is a problem. I don't think that is allowed by law in PA. Riding in an area with any kind of congestion we ride single file, but out on the country roads as I pay attention to my mirror for cars coming up behind me, we do ride side by side and when a car comes, we move single file. You can even hear me holler out, "Skinny up! Car back!" We announce vehicular hazards and do what we need to do to impede said vehicles as little as possible.

Another reason for riding in the lane for me is western PA. There is no such thing as flat where I am. It is up and down and up and down constant. You can not on a bicycle allow the ability for a car to pass you on a crest of a hill because they will and when an oncoming car appears, they are going to swerve back and take you out vs head on into another car every time. As I reach the crests of the hill, I am riding in the left tire track and also can see over the crest way before a driver can and will signal to a car behind me if it is clear or not and move over. If not clear, I will stay out there until I see the traffic is cleared, or I've crested and know the following vehicle can now see.

Klayfish said:
I'll agree that most cyclists I encounter are courteous. But then there's always the knucklehead that thinks they're a car. Ride smack in the middle of the lane, no matter what. Pull up behind another car at a red light, as if they were a car. When light turns green, start riding in the center of the lane...and cause a huge back up.
In town I do ride directly in the road. Speed limits are 25 mph. I can easily do 25 mph in my town no problem. If I wasn't, I would ride on the side of the road (as far right as practical.) I had a situation riding through town on a 2 lane one way road the car behind me just had to pass me. He pulled along side of me but when he realized that downhill I was doing 45 mph on a 25 mph street, he backed off and pulled behind me. Many people in cars think that a bicycle in front of them is impeding them no matter what the situation is. At 45 mph on a 25 mph street, I am definitely not impeding traffic.

The reason you take the lane at lights is because once the light turn green and the 1st car accelerates faster than you, as you are crossing the intersection, the 2nd car is making a right turn, can't notice you because you are on the side blending into the background, and get run over by the car turning right. Especially if there is a right turn lane, I will move out behind the cars in the lane and properly wait for the light to turn green so that I and the rest of traffic can go. I go through the intersection and back over to the right to allow the rest of traffic to pass me.

Last edited:

First is the misconception that roads were built for cars. They were actually paved for bicycles first. Second is the general driving public thinks that in the gutter is where cyclists should be, you know, with all the sticks, broken tail lights, glass bottles, sticks, and dead animals are. Cyclists are to ride as far right as practical, which can mean clear over in the left tire track if that is as far right as possible due to road condition.

Now for the ones that ride like a douche bag? They don't slow down let alone stop for stop lights and stop signs. I don't either, but I only do it when I have a sight line and no other traffic is around, and I will slow down but not necessarily stop.

And that's about it. Just like how there are millions of trucks on the road and a handful of tough guy rednecks drive them like douche bags, there are millions of cyclists on the road and only a handful ride like douche bags, but these are the ones that are noticed, and thus all cyclists are like this same as we see in this thread talking about the "Brodozers" and the compensation for something relates to everyone who owns a truck.
Perhaps roads were paved for bicycles originally idk if that’s true; but, it’s hefty gas taxes here that pay to maintain them in this state. I also don’t condone any rude or bad behavior.

There is no such thing as flat where I am. It is up and down and up and down constant. You can not on a bicycle allow the ability for a car to pass you on a crest of a hill because they will and when an oncoming car appears, they are going to swerve back and take you out vs head on into another car every time. As I reach the crests of the hill, I am riding in the left tire track and also can see over the crest way before a driver can and will signal to a car behind me if it is clear or not and move over. If not clear, I will stay out there until I see the traffic is cleared, or I've crested and know the following vehicle can now see.
This is a big reason I'd love for them to put a bicycle lane on my main road to get into my neighborhood whenever they get around to widening it.

It's up a hill with limited to no visibility in certain parts. TBH it's just plain dangerous for cyclist to bike it but they bike it because it's enough of a challenge. With only 1 lane in each direction it's not very safe to have a cyclist who is much slower on that road going up the hill. The speed limit is 35mph on that road. I will not pass a cyclist on that road because of the visibility but it's not very safe for them to be on it either.

They don't slow down let alone stop for stop lights and stop signs. I don't either, but I only do it when I have a sight line and no other traffic is around, and I will slow down but not necessarily stop.
I would disagree with this comment. As a motorist I obey traffic signals and signs and use my turn signal regardless of other traffic or not. I don't just not stop at the stop sign just because I don't see anyone coming. I don't just not stop at the red light just because no one is coming. I know not all motorist do but they should.

First is the misconception that roads were built for cars. They were actually paved for bicycles first.

Huh??? Yes, there were "paved" roads that I'm sure were built maybe for bikes. However, by and large, roads we traditionally think of were paved specifically because the horseless carriage was unable to navigate the rutted, muddy rough roads around the turn of the 20th century. They were not built specifically for bicycles. For example, I don't think that when FDR created the New Deal, which building roads was a part, he had bicycles in mind.

It's cool that you like to ride bikes, that's great, more power to you. I think most bicycle riders are pretty courteous, but I also think they have no business riding in the middle of the lane on a busy road.

This is a big reason I'd love for them to put a bicycle lane on my main road to get into my neighborhood whenever they get around to widening it.

It's up a hill with limited to no visibility in certain parts. TBH it's just plain dangerous for cyclist to bike it but they bike it because it's enough of a challenge. With only 1 lane in each direction it's not very safe to have a cyclist who is much slower on that road going up the hill. The speed limit is 35mph on that road. I will not pass a cyclist on that road because of the visibility but it's not very safe for them to be on it either.

I would disagree with this comment. As a motorist I obey traffic signals and signs and use my turn signal regardless of other traffic or not. I don't just not stop at the stop sign just because I don't see anyone coming. I don't just not stop at the red light just because no one is coming. I know not all motorist do but they should.
I have to ask why? Only because it's law? I agree, we all should be obeying the law, but there is no reason where I lived out in the middle of nowhere for me to completely come to a dead stop at a stop sign if I can see half a mile in every direction.

I drive a 4 lane divided highway to work which goes down to undivided and eventually to a stop light with a left turning lane. At 6 am when I am on my way to work, I routinely stop, but then go through the red light to turn left because I could sit there for 15 minutes waiting for cross traffic to come and trip the light, therefore giving me the green arrow when it cycles back to the highway. I can see 2 miles down the road and see there isn't a car in sight. I can see 3 miles up the hill behind me and see there isn't a car in sight. I can also see both ways on the cross road and see there isn't a single car sitting there at the red light. I stop, assess the situation at 5:30 or 6 am, and make my left turn. Obviously I don't do this with other traffic on the road, but I am not going to just sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for other traffic to arrive so they will trip the light cycle.

Huh??? Yes, there were "paved" roads that I'm sure were built maybe for bikes. However, by and large, roads we traditionally think of were paved specifically because the horseless carriage was unable to navigate the rutted, muddy rough roads around the turn of the 20th century. They were not built specifically for bicycles. For example, I don't think that when FDR created the New Deal, which building roads was a part, he had bicycles in mind.

It's cool that you like to ride bikes, that's great, more power to you. I think most bicycle riders are pretty courteous, but I also think they have no business riding in the middle of the lane on a busy road.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Roads_Movement

The Good Roads Movement occurred in the United States between the late 1870s and the 1920s. Advocates for improved roads led by bicyclists turned local agitation into a national political movement.
Maybe not so much for bicyclists, but the bicyclists are the ones who got it started.

I certainly can not pull into something that looks like this (a general picture I just picked off the web just to show big gravel) like a tractor can....

1421486665_2-minuscrushrock.jpg

Also on the diesel pump thing... I don't drive a diesel vehicle. I pull up to the open pump available to fill my car. I do not nor have I ever thought that there is only 1 pump with diesel. I don't pull up to the station and inspect all the pumps to see which one has a diesel pump because most assume all the pumps have diesel because they don't ever need to use it.

And now for this...

All the lame excuses in the world simply do not justify the fact that a cyclist actually has by rights of the Constitution of the US and the freedom of movement has more right to the road than motor vehicle drivers because driving a motor vehicle is a privilege. We have equal rights to the freedom of travel, it's just that you chose the method that is a privilege.

Yes, cyclists who ride side by side is a problem. I don't think that is allowed by law in PA. Riding in an area with any kind of congestion we ride single file, but out on the country roads as I pay attention to my mirror for cars coming up behind me, we do ride side by side and when a car comes, we move single file. You can even hear me holler out, "Skinny up! Car back!" We announce vehicular hazards and do what we need to do to impede said vehicles as little as possible.

Another reason for riding in the lane for me is western PA. There is no such thing as flat where I am. It is up and down and up and down constant. You can not on a bicycle allow the ability for a car to pass you on a crest of a hill because they will and when an oncoming car appears, they are going to swerve back and take you out vs head on into another car every time. As I reach the crests of the hill, I am riding in the left tire track and also can see over the crest way before a driver can and will signal to a car behind me if it is clear or not and move over. If not clear, I will stay out there until I see the traffic is cleared, or I've crested and know the following vehicle can now see.

In town I do ride directly in the road. Speed limits are 25 mph. I can easily do 25 mph in my town no problem. If I wasn't, I would ride on the side of the road (as far right as practical.) I had a situation riding through town on a 2 lane one way road the car behind me just had to pass me. He pulled along side of me but when he realized that downhill I was doing 45 mph on a 25 mph street, he backed off and pulled behind me. Many people in cars think that a bicycle in front of them is impeding them no matter what the situation is. At 45 mph on a 25 mph street, I am definitely not impeding traffic.

The reason you take the lane at lights is because once the light turn green and the 1st car accelerates faster than you, as you are crossing the intersection, the 2nd car is making a right turn, can't notice you because you are on the side blending into the background, and get run over by the car turning right. Especially if there is a right turn lane, I will move out behind the cars in the lane and properly wait for the light to turn green so that I and the rest of traffic can go. I go through the intersection and back over to the right to allow the rest of traffic to pass me.

Why can't you stop on gravel?

The cyclists that we have in our community come from other areas to ride "out in the country". They experience gravel and it doesn't seem to be an issue. They pull over on driveways, beginnings of bridges, etc. where there is gravel that size and bigger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter