Pick up Magic Bands night before check in?

dishguy1977

Mouseketeer
We have an onsite reservation for 1 night next week and staying offsite the rest of the week. Can we pick up our Magic Bands from the resort the night before check in? Have any Canadians done this before? If we do pick them up the night before and do online check in will they send us our room info via text? We are also getting the dining plan - does it have to be activated at the resort or will it automatically become active on our arrival day? We do have Magic Bands from a previous trip which we could also use if that helps the situation at all.

I wouldn't count on getting a text. Text messages even from restaurants are hit and miss for us. One day on our last trip, we got the text that our table was ready at Boma. The next night we waited and waited for a text for Jiko and when we went to the podium to see how long it would be, they told me that they'd texted me several times. As soon as we arrived home in Canada, I got all of those texts but nothing while I was there. One one trip a couple of years ago, they supposedly texted us our room number but we never got it and had to go and ask about room number (we'd already checked in). You'd be best to go to registration and check in physically. Fortunately, now that a lot of people do online check-in, I find the check in desks to be much less busy than they used to be.

I don't know whether or not they have the new MBs ready to pick up if you're not scheduled to check in until the next day or not. I always take 1-2 old ones to coordinate with what I'm wearing and also because that allows me to use them for checking in with DME so that I don't need to bring the letter with me but I presume you won't be using that if you're offsite to start.

You can not pick up your bands before you actually check in. However, you can check in starting at 6am when their system rolls over to a new day.

I will be staying at Coronado springs for one night and attending the Halloween party. I did online check in.
I was hoping to go straight to my room when i arrive that afternoon, drop off my stuff, and then head to the party without going to the main tower to check in in person.
I have old magic bands.
Is there a way to link my party ticket to my old magic band so that i don't need to pick up new magic bands from the front desk? I am trying to get to the party as quickly as possible once I arrive.

I will be staying at Coronado springs for one night and attending the Halloween party. I did online check in.
I was hoping to go straight to my room when i arrive that afternoon, drop off my stuff, and then head to the party without going to the main tower to check in in person.
I have old magic bands.
Is there a way to link my party ticket to my old magic band so that i don't need to pick up new magic bands from the front desk? I am trying to get to the party as quickly as possible once I arrive.
You are not likely to get a text with your room number. Their system doesn't always recognize international numbers, most of the time it doesn't. IMO, online check in is actually not a time saver since it's not the same for everyone....basically if you are from the USA it's great but everyone else...nope.

In terms of using an old band as long as it's less than 2 years old it's fine. Somewhere around 2 years the battery dies. Also, you have to limit the number of bands on your account or else nothing will work. In very simple terms all your info sits in one room and the bands are basically just different doors into that room. The band itself contains no info.

You are not likely to get a text with your room number. Their system doesn't always recognize international numbers, most of the time it doesn't. IMO, online check in is actually not a time saver since it's not the same for everyone....basically if you are from the USA it's great but everyone else...nope.

In terms of using an old band as long as it's less than 2 years old it's fine. Somewhere around 2 years the battery dies. Also, you have to limit the number of bands on your account or else nothing will work. In very simple terms all your info sits in one room and the bands are basically just different doors into that room. The band itself contains no info.

Ok thank you. This is very helpful. I guess it sounds like my best bet is to just go ahead with new magic bands (mine are almost 2 years old) and check in at the tower at Coronado springs when i arrive, pick up my bands, find out my room number, and head to my room from there.
I was hoping to skip a step but I don't want to make things even more complicated.
Does this make sense?

Ok thank you. This is very helpful. I guess it sounds like my best bet is to just go ahead with new magic bands (mine are almost 2 years old) and check in at the tower at Coronado springs when i arrive, pick up my bands, find out my room number, and head to my room from there.
I was hoping to skip a step but I don't want to make things even more complicated.
Does this make sense?
You're not making things more complicated by wanting to skip the check in counter. You don't really have much of a choice though. In reality you might only be losing approx. 30 minutes....not a big deal IMO. Are you using DME from the airport? If so take an Uber or taxi instead. That will gain you 60 minutes or so.

if your room isn't ready you can just leave everything with bell services and just head over to the park at that point. Checking in won't take a ton of time and you'll be on your way pretty quickly. Regarding the old magic bands, they will continue to work for anything touch related, the battery will only stop working for things like ride pictures so you can take your old ones along with you, some people get different colours to coordinate with their outfits and just keep the most recent one attached to a bag to have things other than touching the Mickey head function.
have a blast!

Your bands should still work even though they are 2 years old. We have been using bands we got when they first came out with MB several years ago.

Is there a way to link my party ticket to my old magic band so that i don't need to pick up new magic bands from the front desk?

You don't need to link anything to a magic band. All MBs are connected to your MDE account and your tickets are linked to that. Any MB will work fine and battery life is a non-issue since it doesn't require that to scan - the scanners provide the power necessary. But I second the need to physically check in. Text messages from restaurants work only about half the time and the one time the front desk was supposed to text AND e-mail us about our room number (we'd already checked in but our room wasn't ready) we never did get notification even though they said they'd sent it both by text and e-mail. Fortunately, now that a lot of people do bypass the front desk, the lines seem to have got very short.

Can we pick up our Magic Bands from the resort the night before check in? Have any Canadians done this before?

We drove from Toronto to Disney in January. We made good time and arrived a day early. We discovered that Magic Bands arrive at the resorts the day of your check in... and not particularly early at that.

So, I would say you can NOT pick up the Magic Bands the day before... and probably after 11am on the day of check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts