Physical training for WDW???

I just came back to this thread and I saw someone mentioned carrying the bag or equivalent weight while training that you'll be carrying in the park.
This is genius! I can't believe I never thought of that before! I use a Harvey's purse and that sucker is heavy when it's empty. My neck hurts from a day of shopping. I wasn't going to use it in the parks for that exact reason. But now I'm definitely going to make sure I prep with an appropriately sized and weighted bag.
So I guess I'm just posting this so that more people have the chance if they're skimming through to see that idea.

I don't do anything different but I work out about 3 to 4 days a week any way. I do always make sure to pack my bigger clothes. I just got home from a 5 day WDW trip on Sat. and was 5 lbs heavier then when I left. Of course, I also caught the Disney funk so I really don't want to eat anything now and have lost the 5 lbs already. It helps that I'm not drinking a lot of refreshing adult beverages either.

I find I retain a lot of water while I'm there (mostly in the legs and feet) which drops off shortly after I get home. That's usually what my weight fluctuation is.

My husband was pretty sick for the last year or so and is starting to feel better. But he has gotten quite weak and doesn't have the stamina for a lot of walking. So starting next month he is going to start walking every day. Then when we can get up to a few miles, he's actually getting a personal trainer to help him build muscle strength up (full body but focusing on his legs & core). I'm going to work on my overall strength in case I need to push him in a wheelchair at all during our trip. Going to WDW is NO JOKE, you need good endurance for that!

New shoes. For our last trip, a first in 4 years, we went out and bought all new sneakers/trainers around one month out. My wife is into yoga and I joined her a couple months out from the trip to get my stretch on. My two kids complain just about anything, so there was little we could do for them, but we did get on a regime of walking outdoors for several miles a day. They fell off the "training plan", but my wife and I continued. I already start everyday with a 2 miles walk for the dog in the rain, snow, or just plain cold.

On our first full day we all clocked 13 miles, according to our watches (I have the Samsung Galaxy 42mm, my wife and kids all have the Garmin Vivo line). I reached 14 miles on Day 2, because I run to the main lodge often for coffee, snacks, etc. After that legs were sore and backs were sore, so the walking began to slow down a little.

The worst was the lower back for all of us. It doesn't seem possible when at home, but the just the act of standing in so many slow moving lines grinds on you. Both children and adults.

Definitely agree on practice walking while carrying a bag. I have weak upper body and always end up with headaches and sore neck and shoulder from carrying a backpack with several water bottles and snacks I can eat!

Also I suggest bringing two different styles of broke in walking shoes and rotate between the two. (This also is great for when you get a downpour and one pair gets wet and needs to dry out.)

Depending on your location, I also adjust my sleeping/waking schedule a little before I go to WDW since I have a three hour time difference.

Do NOT be like this old lady, a lazy bones with a sedentary desk job in a small office area. Whatever you do, get up and get some steps in. I am learning that lesson the hard way right now.

Started on the treadmill this morning to train for my April 20 - May 3 trip. I plan to add outside walking on concrete in a couple of weeks. Do you all have any suggestions for getting physically ready for WDW?
Practice getting up early so that you can arrive at the parks when they open with bright eyes and energy.

For the most part all the walking really doesn't bother me... it's the standing, and standing in the same spot only inching and moving up what seem like a inch at a time... kills my lower back...

I have a old injury that really never got any better, and actually had gotten worse, and I just ignored it, like one of those things I am going to have to live with deals... and then last year I had several things happen, I had Plantars Fasciitis, which was just miserable, then slipped and twisted my knee, which reeked havoc on my lower back, and then the grand finale was I sneezed while lying in bed... and completely pulled my back out... which I did not realize that this is something that happens to alot of people when sneezing and coughing, even blowing ones nose.. honestly... who knew...

So after months and months of trips to the doctor and one ER trip... I am back on the mend with whole new program, which is a slower process... I am starting to see improvement... They the Doc and Therapist told me... this did not happen over night, so its going to take a while...

So in talking to my Doctor.. my issues are all muscular... that my joints are in great shape....SOOO she basically told me to stay out of the gym...no machine's... She said absolutely do not get on the treadmill, or stationary bike... and went on to explain that the bouncing on the treadmill, cause's impact in your joints, and does let the body move fluidly the way its made to move, and over or under works the muscle's and not in the way they are made to work.. and she sent me to a Neuro-Skeletal medical massage therapist... which I was really not sure about going to.. Honestly with the pain I was in... I was willing to try anything... I love my massage therapist... she has back ground in PT and OT, as well as sport medicine injury's.. and massage therapy... she is so wonderful... now this is not a relaxation massage, she really gets in there, and works out the knots, and stretches the muscles, ... Really amazing to start to feeling more like myself and I might be a bit sore the next day, totally worth it...

New routine...
So 5 or 6 times a day I just sit on a therapy ball, for 5 minutes at a time... I thought what just sit there... Yep... just sit there, your core muscle's will automatically take over and will start to strengthen itself... so I sit there and play on my phone... she said maybe next month she will add in therapy bands, to my new routine... She said do not spend a bunch of money on one, Wal-Mart has them for around 10 bucks...

I just started walking back again the last weeks... Every other day... for now... I started just around the block now I'm walking around the neighborhood, at a steady pace... just normal walking...

I have a simple stretching routine... nothing fancy... the two that really will give you instant relief... just bending over and using my upper body as the weights, and dangling my arms down... I try to do this a couple times a day... doing this is the shower, and letting the hot water massage your back works great like a mini massage...She said this is the best way to stretch out your lower back...you can do this anywhere... like say standing in line...
the other main stretching tool is stretching out my calf muscles, and achilles tendon, which in turn stretches out the bottom of your foot. ... standing on the stairs, put the ball of your feet on the edge of the step and just drop your heels down, you will feel it, if it start hurting or a burning feeling you are pushing it, alternate feet and start with like 3 times each heel doing it a few times a day... I'm up to 10 times and doing it around 3 or 4 times a day... You can use a curb, a parking blocking, stairways..

The heating pad is your best friend...use it at night in the resort on your back, or legs works great, 20 minutes .. if you take a mid day break, this is another time you can use it... It helps the muscle relax... If you are taking one with you, make sure it has auto shut-off...

We are going to Japan in Nov. of this year... and there will be alot of walking... so I am getting ready for this... and trying to get back to normal..

Once the water warms up, I will be hitting the pool... which is all around great way to exercise, it works all the parts of your body....plus its so fun, and relaxing...

One reason I really like this new routine... is I can do it pretty much do it anywhere we are at, if I need stretch things out.. and the massage therapist said that therapy band can just be thrown in the luggage so I can keep up whatever routine I am doing, right in the hotel room,... on the go... which I really like... and it's simple...and I can do it whenever or wherever ... no making time to go to the gym... which I really like...

The treadmill is a great idea. I track my steps, and a full day in the parks is usually 30k-37k steps for me (truth be told, I try to limit the number of "full days" of that sort).

Other posters have mentioned using walking shoes or sneakers that have been broken in already, and NEVER leave the room without comfortable and snug fitting socks. The size of both of these, socks and shoes are important. Improperly sized footwear may increase friction and create blisters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter