Physical training for WDW???

Anne with an E

Earning My Ears
Started on the treadmill this morning to train for my April 20 - May 3 trip. I plan to add outside walking on concrete in a couple of weeks. Do you all have any suggestions for getting physically ready for WDW?

I eat lots of sugar the week before so I dont get at tummy ache during the trip.. j/k . With the walking make sure you also stand for long periods of time in 1 spot to get used to lines as well.

Get your potassium.

Last trip I got muscle cramps on my second day lol (to be fair I was in Blizzard Beach and I don't use the lift so I was using the stairs all day). I felt like I had cramps in the cramps.

I love this thread. Walking and standing endurance is a great idea. Putting importance on getting good sleep could also be a goal if you are like me and never sleep enough. Taking supplements and ramping up hydration will help. If you are able to increase core strength along with doing squats (doesn’t have to be a bunch) will help you a ton, help avoid back strain. I’m all for slow and steady wins the race. Not to mention, when you get to the parks you will have a shot of adrenaline to help you walk lol. Good luck.

I go hiking almost every weekend. And I do the treadmill during the week.

You just have to be used to walking a lot. It doesn’t require a high fitness level. But you’re going to want comfortable shoes. I like my Altria’s a half size larger.

I go hiking almost every weekend. And I do the treadmill during the week.

You just have to be used to walking a lot. It doesn’t require a high fitness level. But you’re going to want comfortable shoes. I like my Altria’s a half size larger.

Speaking of shoes, if you have new ones make sure you break them in before going. That can make a big difference!

I found out that the 500 lbs bench press doesnt help at all, when you soles are shouting in agony. And if I eat all the junk in parks I want, my stomach is taking vacation without asking me. I will however do simple walking every day when not in holiday, and before Disney-Universal time, I try to get a good rest (and sleep) at least a week before trip.

Get a job working retail - you won’t feel a difference :)
Spend time shopping for really comfortable shoes! I wear Abeo sandals and always put gold bond on them in the morning.

Wearing the same shoes and socks NOW that you plan to wear for your trip is pretty key. Also - while you could wait a week or two to add this - when you are practicing at home - if you intend to carry a bag during the day - train with it some, too. Otherwise - sore back.....

Also - the advice about being well-rested the week before - that's great advice. Don't Up your activity level the last week - and if you have been tired - back off a bit to be better rested.

I found out that the 500 lbs bench press doesnt help at all, when you soles are shouting in agony. And if I eat all the junk in parks I want, my stomach is taking vacation without asking me. I will however do simple walking every day when not in holiday, and before Disney-Universal time, I try to get a good rest (and sleep) at least a week before trip.
Easy solution, walk on your hands!

Have you checked your posture and walking gait? If you are otherwise healthy, strengthening muscles to correct imbalances and weaknesses helps long-term over just trying to consciously stand up straighter with shoulders back.

Excellent advice from everyone. I hadn't thought about training for standing for long periods of time. Going to start standing more often at work to get ready!

Get a job working retail - you won’t feel a difference :)
Spend time shopping for really comfortable shoes! I wear Abeo sandals and always put gold bond on them in the morning.

This is what I was going to say. I work as a baker and am on my feet 9 hours a day. Going to WDW and just walking and being able to sit whenever I want is a vacation for me, after all, it is just walking. Don't ask me to run LOL, but I can walk all day without any issues.

I don't do anything different but I work out about 3 to 4 days a week any way. I do always make sure to pack my bigger clothes. I just got home from a 5 day WDW trip on Sat. and was 5 lbs heavier then when I left. Of course, I also caught the Disney funk so I really don't want to eat anything now and have lost the 5 lbs already. It helps that I'm not drinking a lot of refreshing adult beverages either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter